Hey there,

Imy under 18 and I was pondering to ask my parents if I can get a prepaid card to use on the internet and generally in stores instead of carrying around money. However, I was wondering which prepaid card companies support Android Pay, if any. Since prepaid cards arn'the very well known, they are simply 'top-up' cards simular to giftcards which work wherever mastercards/Visa is accepted (Depending on which card you have). I have only been able to find lists of banks, and since prepaid cards don't technically have bank accounts to take money from, I'm thinking that android pay will reject these cards?

I'm curious to know, as I'd prefer to get a prepaid card from a company which supports it. Has any had experience on using prepaid cards on android pay or can anyone inform me where it says I can't use it?

(Most prepaid cards are contact less aswell incase that makes a difference)

Thanks
    10-12-2016 12:09 PM
    But even prepaid cards have a bank behind it, so it will depend on whether or not the bank that issues it supports Android Pay for those cards (some banks support it, but not all cards from that bank do). However, at least for credit cards, Android Pay has a 'workaround': it sets it up and routes the payment through a 3rd party bank, so it 'simulates' a purchase to the 3rd party service and if the payment goes through, it sends it back to Android Pay. Not sure if this works for debit cards (which is what, in the end, pre-paid cards end up being).

MasterCard specifically states that pre-paid cards are supported IF the issuing bank does.
    https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...droid-pay.html

There's also a pre-paid card from PayPal, so that could work for internet purchases, but not sure it supports Android Pay (issuing bank is BanCorp Bank). And, of course, there's also Wallet, which would definitely work with Android Pay. On both, I believe, it's possible to request a physical card.
    10-14-2016 05:06 AM