Pay at pump requires zip

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
More and more gas pumps have tap to pay as an option. I have tried using this multiple times using Google Pay and Samsung Pay with no luck. Each time I am prompted for my zip code and I enter the billing zip. Apparently this is not valid when using Google pay (or Samsung pay).

Does anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks in advance.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
More and more gas pumps have tap to pay as an option. I have tried using this multiple times using Google Pay and Samsung Pay with no luck. Each time I am prompted for my zip code and I enter the billing zip. Apparently this is not valid when using Google pay (or Samsung pay).

Thanks in advance.
Haven't used either at the pump but when using the c.c it does ask for billing zip

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Haven't used either at the pump but when using the c.c it does ask for billing zip

True, but with skimmers becoming so prevalent I thought that paying with the phone would be a good safe alternative.

The problem is that the billing zip code for the cc is not the same as the billing zip for GP or SP.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
True, but with skimmers becoming so prevalent I thought that paying with the phone would be a good safe alternative.

The problem is that the billing zip code for the cc is not the same as the billing zip for GP or SP.
Gotcha , but I think at least Samsung pay would be very safe since it generates a code instead of your card number

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha , but I think at least Samsung pay would be very safe since it generates a code instead of your card number

True, but if I use Samsung Pay at the pump, I still get prompted for the zip code. The billing zip code does not work and the sale gets rejected.

To be clear, this happens with both Google and Samsung pay.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
True, but if I use Samsung Pay at the pump, I still get prompted for the zip code. The billing zip code does not work and the sale gets rejected.

To be clear, this happens with both Google and Samsung pay.
Interesting, I will ask some team members see if they run into this issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No issues w/ Apple Pay at these pumps for me so I wonder if they have to have specific support for Google Pay / Samsung Pay to have it work.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm confused....which zip code do you think it's looking for?

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused....which zip code do you think it's looking for?

The pumps (mostly Shell) ask for "Billing zip code", just as if I had inserted a credit card. My Samsung/Google Pay are both tied to my credit card, so I assume that they are looking for the cc billing zip code. When I enter the CC billing zip code, it errors out.

My guess is that when Google tokenizes my CC, it also creates a new zip code which I'm not privy to.

Anyway, I guess it's a first-world problem that I'll have to live with. Cash (or credit card) will always be king.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The pumps (mostly Shell) ask for "Billing zip code", just as if I had inserted a credit card. My Samsung/Google Pay are both tied to my credit card, so I assume that they are looking for the cc billing zip code. When I enter the CC billing zip code, it errors out.

My guess is that when Google tokenizes my CC, it also creates a new zip code which I'm not privy to.

Anyway, I guess it's a first-world problem that I'll have to live with. Cash (or credit card) will always be king.
I've never heard of them creating a special zip code but something is obviously causing an issue

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just did a chat session with Google Pay support and it was totally unhelpful.

"Lucy" insisted that the pump should not be asking for a zip code and "I" should contact the pump manufacturer.

My suggestion: the next opportunity, try using "00000" as a zip code.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just did a chat session with Google Pay support and it was totally unhelpful.

"Lucy" insisted that the pump should not be asking for a zip code and "I" should contact the pump manufacturer.

My suggestion: the next opportunity, try using "00000" as a zip code.
Some pumps ask for Zip codes with a credit card or pin codes for a debit card so she's wrong. I doubt entering zeros will work....lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
She implied that Google Pay is not creating a zip code at all. If that's the case, then zeroes *might* work.

Only one way to find out.

Good luck but I doubt the rep is correct because the credit card machines at gas stations and other automated points of purchase require the credit card ZIP code for security reasons. Once you make a purchase, or in your case a authorization your ZIP code and the transaction information are processed at the same time through the processing center for the card. If the ZIP code does not match with the credit card ZIP code in the processing system the transaction is not authorized.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing maybe they( that station) don't have it setup to use tho GP or SP as well.

I will bet if you were just using your card and not phone it would work since it is reading the actual credit card number.

I know GP mask the number when using Google Pay, and sounds like SP does to.

That would be why it isn't working when trying to use trying to use GP or SP , Since they both masks the real credit card number but both actually know the real credit card number.

The gas pump doesn't it sounds like to me It thinks the mask number is the real number.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing maybe they( that station) don't have it setup to use tho GP or SP as well.

I will bet if you were just using your card and not phone it would work since it is reading the actual credit card number.

I know GP mask the number when using Google Pay, and sounds like SP does to.

That would be why it isn't working when trying to use trying to use GP or SP , Since they both masks the real credit card number but both actually know the real credit card number.

The gas pump doesn't it sounds like to me It thinks the mask number is the real number.

This happens at any pump that I have attempted to use NFC payments on and yes, I resort to using my CC which works fine.

Most gas pumps ask for a zip code as a security measure, which doesn't seem to bode well for tokenized credit card numbers used with NFC payment methods. On the other hand, using NFC payments should not require billing zip to begin with.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This happens at any pump that I have attempted to use NFC payments on and yes, I resort to using my CC which works fine.

Most gas pumps ask for a zip code as a security measure, which doesn't seem to bode well for tokenized credit card numbers used with NFC payment methods. On the other hand, using NFC payments should not require billing zip to begin with.

And that is basically what the Google Pay support rep meant when I chatted with her earlier today and she said I need to talk to the "pump manufacturer" because it should not be asking for the zip code.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I agree shouldn't be asking for billing zip code because you already provided that information when setting up the card.