Android 9 Pie... Do you like it?

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Have only had it for less than 24 hours, so there is much to discover. One thing I don't like right off the bat is the volume rocker controls media volume when it's on the home screen, and a second action is required to get to the ringer volume. I wish that were configurable.

frozenchosin

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
They moved the static current time display from the upper right corner to the upper left corner...I suppose I'll get used to it, but wish they had left it alone or given us the option to put it back. I've visually trained myself to look in the upper left corner for notifications. It'll take me awhile now to realize that space is shared with the time.

Also, now when I use the quick pull-down menu to access Bluetooth settings, I can't further select a specific Bluetooth device from my list of devices...all I can do now is turn Bluetooth on or off. If I want to select a device, I am forced to enter Settings the old-fashioned way and go into Bluetooth to do it. No idea why they changed our ability to just swipe down from the home screen to get there.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Thumbs up, so far. I like it, but I've had four months to get comfortable with it. Everything's working and working well.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Long press the Bluetooth button in quick settings and it will take you directly there. I believe all the buttons in quick settings are tap for on/off and long press for other options/settings now.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Mixed feelings. I think its overall smooth but the quick settings and do not disturb are severely less functional than before.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I actually was expecting to be disappointed, but after a day using it and understanding the team's philosophy behind it better, I'm really enjoying it a lot. I use my technology primarily for information, answers and solutions. This build is a great design language for me. It's simple, efficient and keeps relevant information more accessible I've found.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I like it so far. But was looking forward to the clean look of the single home button, instead I'm getting this little back button that just looks out of place
Screenshot_20180807-172025.jpg

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Seems like a nice refresh.

2 nitpicks that I posted in another thread -

Easy access to System UI Tuner seems to have been removed. I don't like having the alarm clock always resident, I always turned that off but it's back on and I can't find the option to turn it off.

The phone (Pixel 2 XL) seems to think I have a notch. If I have more than 4 notifications I get a dot to indicate I have more, despite having PLENTY of space to show them (since I have no notch). I want to see as many as possible in the notification bar.

rtisovec

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have mixed feelings, but I don't like the new volume controls. I used to hold the volume down to run the Shush ringer app and turn it of until the end of my work day at 5pm. The Do Not Disturb features don't do this as quickly and now it's broken because of the volume changes. I also liked the Oreo notifications and drop downs better without having to launch to another window/page. This does seem more polished and monochromatic. WE'll see if the battery svings (allegedly) make up for it.a

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Easy access to System UI Tuner seems to have been removed. I don't like having the alarm clock always resident, I always turned that off but it's back on and I can't find the option to turn it off.

The phone (Pixel 2 XL) seems to think I have a notch. If I have more than 4 notifications I get a dot to indicate I have more, despite having PLENTY of space to show them (since I have no notch). I want to see as many as possible in the notification bar.

There's no way to disable that space unfortunately. You would think they could fill it in for devices that don't have a notch.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
They moved the static current time display from the upper right corner to the upper left corner...I suppose I'll get used to it, but wish they had left it alone or given us the option to put it back. I've visually trained myself to look in the upper left corner for notifications. It'll take me awhile now to realize that space is shared with the time.

Also, now when I use the quick pull-down menu to access Bluetooth settings, I can't further select a specific Bluetooth device from my list of devices...all I can do now is turn Bluetooth on or off. If I want to select a device, I am forced to enter Settings the old-fashioned way and go into Bluetooth to do it. No idea why they changed our ability to just swipe down from the home screen to get there.
Press and hold the bluetooth icon to enter settings

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

And as I replied in that other thread there is an app to get you into system ui

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

In the search box type system ui. Then select system UI demo mode.

Click TRY
1439fb95d48722193c2e571900c88fff.jpg

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I like it! Very smooth on my OG Pixel! Love the new look and quick reply in notifications. Love the new dark theme but I wish every pane was dark not just the app folder. I don't particularly care for the time being moved to the left but I understand why they did it.. Other than that I am very happy to own a Pixel device and very happy for Google and Android! I have never seen Android OS look as stunningly beautiful as this! Great Job!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, I think this is indicative of Google's idea where displays are going. I won't be surprised if the 4 has notches in all variants.

But those of us without notches shouldn't be saddled with the crippling of our displays to accommodate the notch on devices that have one. If they can adapt the display to "cut" for a notch with a setting in developer options, the notification bar should adapt to show across the entire screen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20