Android 9 Pie... Do you like it?

uavpilot

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site
Positively hate having the look, the position, the settings that I have worked hard to set changed to suit some nerd "designer" taste. If I wanted the crap changed around I would change it. To have to waste my time re learning where everything is in an expensive device which is expensive to use. The features may be useful, but LEAVE MY **** THE WAY I PUT IT. THIS UPDATE IS CRAP.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
To have to waste my time re learning where everything is in an expensive device which is expensive to use. The features may be useful, but LEAVE MY **** THE WAY I PUT IT. THIS UPDATE IS CRAP.

Complain to Samsung. My Pixel 2 XL changed little with regards to my homescreen layout when the Pie update was installed...

So many of the complaints in this thread are related to manufacturer customizations and not the actual Pie OS itself..

Sedp23

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Only thing I hate is the new volume controls. The volume rocker doesn't control the ringtone volume anymore

Jeffrey Hill

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site
I don't really enjoy the new multi-tab look it just feels to much like apple. They also moved the clock on the top of the screen should have left it alone. I don't like the new gestures for the buttons but in the previous version with the buttons I liked how the buttons went down but in this one they don't, which is stupid. I also can't add any sounds in my phone from like zedge anymore. Which I hate. I loved that i was able to change sounds and make the phone more personal but now it is becoming more like apple.

Minattz917

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I love the look, hate the results. Look and feel is great, but all my notifications are all messed up. My calls and text are about the only thing that are on time and correct. All of my other apps are all hours late, or sometimes once I swipe to rid of them, they come back an hour or two later...same one. Its horrendous for my apps.

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Just got update from T-mobile for my Note 8. So far so good. Many new features are very similar to the features I had on my Palm Pre!

Cards style , throw to close app, rounded edges and simple clean clear interface.

Definitely an improvement in graphics and usability.

Time will tell if more updates come through for apps installed.

I like Pie!

Martekk

Apr 13, 2019
Visit site
Just received the Pie as part of the monthly update... I like it so far... What's your opinion?

Immediately, without seeing the rest of it at the time, hugely disappointment that they removed the possibility to hide the navigation bar. I cannot fathom why the designer would do such a silly thing that does nothing to the improvement of the rest of the system? Many are angry. It will be a deal breaker for my relationship with future mobiles if this doesn't change back. All they needed to do here if they wanted to pretty up the look is simple change the white backround to transparent and leave the hide dot there for the people who desire to hide the nav bar. Please fix in the next update.

woolster22

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Absolute ****. Its pretty embarrassing they released this massive downgrade in must use features. Every time you want info, you must now interact with the screen (want my messages on lock back), and the ******* recents page is such a miserable failure im shocked the idiots at google/samsung (not sure who the culprit is, but this change is inexcusable) deliveres this garbage. Give me the old one, or a full refund. Im not voiding my warranty to get "outdated" features BACK.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
or a full refund.

Good luck with that. I can read messages on the lock screen of my Pixel 2 XL, maybe you need to adjust some settings?

Recent apps, the change was probably made to conform with the gestures. With gestures, if you swipe left to right on the navigation bar it moves to the last app you were in, just as happens when you swipe up to get recents and then swipe left to right.

Yorimayo

May 20, 2018
Visit site
I don't like it. it was much better the 8, I have samsung G S9 and since the upgrade I'm having some problems. I hope they fix all of that soon.

slicendice73

May 4, 2019
Visit site
I have an Honor 9 so only recently got the Pie upgrade. Like a lot of other people, I'm not massively impressed and I'd rather have stayed on Oreo. Having said that, I think that's mainly down to a few key reasons:

1) The volume control. What on earth have they done with it?! They've taken what was clear, concise and easy to understand in Oreo and made it confusing, unclear and a right pain in the butt! It feels like it's been changed for the sake of changing it but it's just a massive backwards step.

2) Changing the volume in Settings now plays a sound for every change made. So if you alter the ringer volume, it will play the ring sound for every change made to the volume slider. Why?!?!? :mad: :mad: This is utterly unnecessary and, again, a huge step backwards.

3) It's no longer possible preview WhatsApp messages in the notification area. Previously on Oreo, if a WhatsApp message arrived, I could swipe down and see who the message was from and a preview of what the message said. This is no longer possible and swiping down from the notification bar now simply shows a message like "3 new messages from 2 conversations"...no indication of who the messages are from or what they say. I've not changed any notification settings so can only assume it's something to do with the way Andorid now handles notifications. Having said that, it does occasionally behave how it used to and show who the message is from and preview what it says...but this is only occasionally and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when or why it decides to do this.

4) Battery life. This seems to be worse than it ever was under Oreo - not by an order of magnitude, but certainly noticeable. Even if I'm not using my phone, the battery percentage drops at a faster rate than it ever used to.

There may be other gripes I have but those are the main ones...and they're the ones that are the biggest annoyances.

If anyone has experienced the same issues and managed to resolve or get round them (esp the WhatsApp message issue), I'd really appreciate hearing how you did it.

Thanks

Last edited: