• Start date
A

Android Central Question

Can not connect to Bluetooth devices since I upgraded to Android 9

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be having the same problem on a Pixel 2. I was going to head out to the garage as soon as it cools off a little to see if I can connect to my car audio. If not, it's back up, reflash the factory version and try again. If that doesn't work, I call Google. Yours and mine are the only references to the problem I've seen.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have found your problem (I found mine). The layout on the Bluetooth page is completely changed. Look for "Previously connected devices" (or Zuvor verbundene Geräte auf Deutsch?) and tap that. You should find the devices you had paired. Tap the gear on the right of the device and you'll get a page with Forget (Vergessen) and Connect (Verbinden).

(And if I can find the person who made that change, I'm going to twist his fingers off, one by one. I understand why it was done, but with a little thought it could have been done better.)

May 8, 2013
Visit site
my wife's got a 2013 Kia and a pixel 1 and now she lost her Bluetooth connection and it won't reconnect. I went out with my pixel 2 XL and I can't connect to the car anymore either. This all started when I updated both our phones to Android p. I hope to avoid a factory reset but that might be my first step because since it's happening to both are pixel I am assuming it's the software update and not the car, dang you Google Bluetooth

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, it's probably more like the car and Pie don't have a compatible Bluetooth profile. Go to the Kia dealer and see if they have an update for the radio.

Before that, though, remove the Kia from your wife's phone, and from the Kia radio, Start the pairing from scratch. They may pair again, then they'll connect. If that works, do the same thing with your P2XL - remove it from the car, remove the car from it and pair them again.

It's a matter of we get stuck at the current level of Bluetooth forever, or we sometimes have to re-pair when we get something new added to Bluetooth.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
my wife's got a 2013 Kia and a pixel 1 and now she lost her Bluetooth connection and it won't reconnect. I went out with my pixel 2 XL and I can't connect to the car anymore either.
My 2 XL connects to BT in my 2011 Sorento no problem, so there's gotta be a way. Be sure to delete old connections to make room for new ones, although the car should be telling you that you can't connect because you're already full up.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not only to make room for new ones, but you don't want 2 connections for the same phone. That.Will,Not.Work.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's strange, my first Android phone was an LG Thrive, running Froyo 2.2.2......I picked up a cheap chinese no name Bluetooth earpiece for it and used to leave the phone in the house and do yard work all around our place, and I never had any issues with lost connections or missed calls. I never had any issues of any kind, I just took it for granted because it simply worked.

Now I'm having problems with modern flagship phones running modern Android versions, and using $120 top of the line Jabra and Plantronics Bluetooth earpieces, which won't stay connected from one end of the house to the other......and sometimes won't even connect or stay connected period.

How is it possible for Google to go backwards so badly and keep struggling year after year, Android version after Android version, without being able to make a decent working Bluetooth solution again?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Back then, some "cheap Chinese" Bluetooth earpieces were Class 1 - 100mw, right by your skull. Today the public is more aware of radiation issues (more wrongly aware - 100mw@2.4GHz doesn't cause any problems) so the earpieces are Class 3 - 1mw. The limit of a Class 3 device is "less than 10 meters" in clear air. If you turn around, so the signal has to go through your head, it's probably less than a meter. And if the phone is in your pants pocket, so the signal has to go through your skull and your body, that's far beyond the reach of the earpiece. It has nothing to do with Google.

You're comparing 2 totally different things. Why can't my Porsche get up to 120mph on my block? It's not the car, it's the length of the block. In your case it's not Google, it's the type of earpiece they make these days, due to popular demand. (Remember, a Class 1 device puts out as much power as a wifi router, and most people don't want something like that right at their head - wrongly, but that's the way most people feel.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz