Notifications Delayed or Stopped?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on Oreo w/a Pixel 2 ...
Google has definitely changed something in the background settings somewhere because lots of people being affected this way, with different apps, accounts, etc. But it's all related to locked screen notifications after phone had been sleeping for a bit.

So this quote got me thinking... (Dangerous, I know). But my delayed or missing notifications are mostly just the sound. With the exception of Kuna, where all notifications, sound and visual icons are delayed, and MYSMS where all notifications do not come through at all, other apps I think I usually do see screen notifications but do not get the sound notifications or reminders.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
As noted, I, and others, did a factory reset and it made no difference.
If your screen never times out and is awake in your pocket, how do you prevent it from doing things. If I put my phone in my pocket without turning the screen off, then when I take it out all sorts of things have happened on the screen.

My screen times out and goes dark like normal, I just don't have a fingerprint or any other kind of lock on my phone..... I just hit the power button to wake up the screen and swipe up to open. I found that putting a lock on my previous phones caused issues with some apps working right, like Cortana, Moto voice, and Google assistant, so I stopped locking my phone.

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Same problem for me as Dustbow. Gmail only syncs on its own after 10-15-20 min delay while screen is off. Syncs immediately with screen on. I’m an S8 on Nougat (Cricket / US). This started after something was pushed to my phone by Google or Samsung in late August. There are many threads on many forums about recent sync problems with gmail.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Just plugged in my phone & waited 15 minutes to send an email to the 1 address I have set up on both Gmail & BlueMail apps... Both worked properly at the same time. So it's got to be something to do with battery saving when the phone is not charging.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Gmail only syncs on its own after 10-15-20 min delay while screen is off. Syncs immediately with screen on. I’m an S8 on Nougat (Cricket / US). This started after something was pushed to my phone by Google or Samsung in late August. There are many threads on many forums about recent sync problems with gmail.

Yes, but I think it is just noticed more often with Gmail since so many use it all the time. I had a friend who said the same and I asked about other app notifications, sync and alert. He really did not have any other apps set up in a way that he would have noticed. He said he gets his text messages fine but I suspected that he just did not notice that a text might be delayed. When he got the text, he would just think, "oh I just got a text" not realizing that he should have received it 20 minutes ago. We let his phone time out and I sent him a text and it did not come right through. He waited about 5 minutes then woke up his phone and ding, the text came through.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Just plugged in my phone & waited 15 minutes to send an email to the 1 address I have set up on both Gmail & BlueMail apps... Both worked properly at the same time. So it's got to be something to do with battery saving when the phone is not charging.

Others have also said if phone is plugged in problem goes away so you may be right. But who has their phone plugged in except for when charge is needed.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
My screen times out and goes dark like normal, I just don't have a fingerprint or any other kind of lock on my phone..... I just hit the power button to wake up the screen and swipe up to open. I found that putting a lock on my previous phones caused issues with some apps working right, like Cortana, Moto voice, and Google assistant, so I stopped locking my phone.

I tried this for a couple of hours today and no difference for me.

will2360

Oct 26, 2017
Visit site
Running Oreo here on a Verizon Note 8 and have SAME issue as the op. I've tired every solution I can find except a hard reset but nothing works. I can't believe how irritating this is. I think it started a week or so ago but not sure exactly.

I have a security camera app called blue iris and that's how I first noticed it. Tested with other apps like gmail and same thing, notifications are delayed after phone sleeps.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Finally pulled the trigger on Pie and we'll see if that changes anything ... Not optimistic. BlueMail is still working perfectly for me so basically using that app & Gmail in tandem currently. Not ideal but it works.

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Thought I would update this thread. I did the following ADB command and it solved the notification delay problem for me: [adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable]. This disables Doze. Interestingly my battery drain has improved since I disabled Doze. My device (S8 G950U) now functions exactly as it did before getting some update at the end of August.

There are a number of device models having the same notification problem, many are Samsung, but some are other OEMs. In my opinion it is a code problem that is rolled out by the OEM, in my case Samsung, and likely included in some tweak they made to Bixby/Touch Wiz/Experience/AOD or the likes. I am on Nougat and do not take security updates. OnePlus has a similar problem and a very long thread in their forum that mirrors this thread. OnePlus acknowledged the problem and indicated they would fix, but a lot of time has passed and many are still having the issue so I'm not sure they ever did.

Downside to the ADB fix is you have to redo it each time you power down the phone. For those who rarely power down it is a simple, non-root fix that lasts for as long as the phone is not powered down.

Last edited:

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Wondering how to try this on a Pixel 2XL?
Will, do a google search: disable bloatware adb. There is a very good step by step guide on the Xda site on how to send adb commands to your device.

After establishing the connection to your device, just send the command that I listed in my previous post. It is very easy to do.

I’ve been thrilled with the results. My battery usage has actually declined which I was not expecting and was a pleasant surprise. I don’t have apps that run in the background, except gmail. I just have to remember to not shut off my phone at night.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
There is a very good step by step guide on the Xda site on how to send adb commands to your device.

After establishing the connection to your device, just send the command that I listed in my previous post. It is very easy to do.

Thanks! I just read through the guide and it is a bit daunting but very well done. I will set aside some time to follow it. Is it correct that I would just enter this: "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" without the quotes, after step 11?

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Correct!

Enter this: "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" without the quotes, after step 11.

You will get a confirmation back that it has disable the two modes of Doze.

Be sure when you are trying to open the command prompt in the adb folder on your computer that you shift-right click. That hung me up for a bit as I wasn't using shift.

Bladet

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Thought I would update this thread. I did the following ADM command and it solved the notification delay problem for me: [adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable]. This disables Doze.

Thanks!!! After I applied the adb shell command notifications are no longer delayed on my Pixel2 with Android 9.

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
It's extremely sad that we have to do this on a GOOGLE phone to get real time GOOGLE email in a GOOGLE app...

That is not really the case. Google makes the base operating system.

Google doesn’t make phones. Google allows OEMs and Carriers to tack on other operating system features / tweaks / crap. It’s becoming hard to keep the three ring circus coordinated. Lots of finger pointing happens. The consumer ends up stuck in the middle.

iOS is a better solution to the lack of control between hardware and software. Same company, and they generally fix problems since the finger can only point at one party when it is a base OS failure. Inferior product, but in my opinion more stable.

It is with high certainty in my case, the problem is Samsung induced. By applying the doze disable command I’m happy my device has returned to being reliable again. Side benefit was the unexpected improvement in battery. 106 hours between charge when I had 38% remaining. Eight month old S8 on Android 7.0

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
But I'm using a Pixel 2 - so this is straight up Google's vision of what Android and Gmail should be... I've had the issue on both Oreo & Pie

voldejour

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if this affects all Oreo & Pie users, or just a subset of them with specific parameters. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of affected Oreo & Pie users without realizing they too have this problem (because it won't happen when the phone is connected to a charger, it takes a few minutes after the screen is turned off for the problem to kick in, the notifications eventually do arrive, just not promptly, etc).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1