Notifications Delayed or Stopped?

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
I wonder if this affects all Oreo & Pie

I’m on nougat. 7.0. No security updates, I don’t take them. I have all OS updates disabled on my phone using PDP. I don’t automatically update apps, only manually and only after a significant amount of time passes so that bugs are ironed out by others. I also have the Google App disabled. The slow notification problem affects more than gmail.

Unfortunately my OEM can push out updates to their stuff that I can’t block, and same with my carrier.

When I was testing the problem I pulled my unrooted stock 6P out of the drawer and fired it up for the first time in 7+ months. It is no longer on a carrier. It is on 7.0. Gmail notifications came instantly. It was after this test I concluded doze is dorked up and threw the adb command at my Samsung which clearly fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
But I'm using a Pixel 2 - so this is straight up Google's vision of what Android and Gmail should be... I've had the issue on both Oreo & Pie

There are HTC (manufacturer of your phone) programs and tweaks. Your carrier also has stuff in there as well. The slow notification problem impacts more than just gmail.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
For me, it only affects Gmail and only on the Gmail app.... BlueMail works instantly always. And so does Textra for all my texts. It's just Gmail app when phone is not charging & screen is dark for 5+ minutes or so.

I should pull out my old HTC one m8 (Marshmallow) and see what happens....

I've had this Pixel 2 since December 2017 and this only started end of August / early September. I was still on Oreo and just moved up to Pie last week.... Didn't solve it

Bladet

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
For me, it only affects Gmail and only on the Gmail app.... BlueMail works instantly always. And so does Textra for all my texts. It's just Gmail app when phone is not charging & screen is dark for 5+ minutes or so.

I should pull out my old HTC one m8 and see what happens....

I've had this Pixel 2 since December 2017 and this only started end of August / early September. I was still on Oreo and just moved up to Pie last week.... Didn't solve it

I have also a Pixel 2 and it affected many apps for me. I could also test/verify it with my own app by sending notifications through google firebase cloud messaging.

With "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" I now receive all gmails and notifications from my own app instantly all the time.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I was talking to YouMail support today about something else but I asked about an issue where I get an email and transcript of a new voicemail but when I go to the YouMail app to listen to the message, that voicemail is not shown until I drag down from the top of the screen to refresh the list. Support told me they are aware of this but can not do anything because it is a problem with the "latest Android version causing delay" in both notifications and display of messages. They said the only thing they have found that works is to refresh like I do or to just wait and eventually once the phone checks in to do something, the list will be refreshed. So it is becoming a more widely known issue and hopefully Google will fix soon.

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Support told me they are aware of this but can not do anything because it is a problem with the "latest Android version causing delay" in both notifications and display of messages.

Will,

Has to be more to it than that....I’m on nougat. 7.0. No security updates since Aug 2017.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I did the following ADM command and it solved the notification delay problem for me: [adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable]. This disables Doze. Interestingly my battery drain has improved since I disabled Doze. My device (S8 G950U) now functions exactly as it did before getting some update at the end of August.

Downside to the ADB fix is you have to redo it each time you power down the phone.

I got around to doing this today. Thanks! We shall see if it fixes the issue. A big problem for me at least is the powering down issue. I do normally power down my phone a couple times a week at least as I think it keeps things running smoother? If this fixes the delayed notifications on my phone, I will try to go longer, but still it will be a real pain to have to keep this fix going by doing it all over after each power off or restart!

Too bad there is not a way to make an app or something to do this with only one step. But because a usb connection to the computer is needed, I guess that is impossible?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Ironic but within 30 minutes of doing this, my phone got a Pie update which of course required a phone restart!!!!!

I don't see any security patches listed on the limited information I could find. But Google says there are several "functional" fixes, most notably fast charging. I see nothing about delayed notifications but we can hope I guess.

edit: I can verify that the October patch did nothing to fix this bug. Behavior is exactly the same now as before the update. So off to try the @Al Borland fix again.

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Interesting. This problem did not exist at all for me until the Pie update.

Something was pushed out to users if they got an update, or didn’t get an update, in my case. Perhaps a play store tweak or some other fix. I feel like mine was tied to something Samsung pushed out, but hey, it could have been google. I think google supplies base code changes that get packaged in OEM and Carrier updates to various packages.

OnePlus has the problem and they say it is their problem and they are working on a fix, not Google. A real head scratcher.

I put my phone in aircraft mode at night as opposed to shutting it down nightly. I’m 1.5 weeks into the adb fix and am really happy with the result, especially improved battery performance. I’ve saved the commands as a script on my computer so it takes 30 seconds to apply when I accidentally shut down.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Something was pushed out to users if they got an update, or didn’t get an update, in my case.

I put my phone in aircraft mode at night as opposed to shutting it down nightly.

I’ve saved the commands as a script on my computer so it takes 30 seconds to apply when I accidentally shut down.

Well since many of us have a Google phone it must be related to Google something. It is not just one carrier either so.... The common denominator seems to be Android so if that is correct, it is a Google issue.

I often put my phone in airplane mode too. But I feel like after a week or so of not shutting it down, things start to get slow, and or, wonky. I have had a few friends with basic trouble with Pixel phones, (battery, lagging, missed calls, etc.) and I have asked how often they shut them down. They all said basically never. I suggested a restart and all of them said that fixed it.

As far as the adb tweak, it has only been a few hours, but so far so good. All my notifications are coming through immediately even after my phone has been screen off in my pocket for a long time. We will see if it sticks as long as I leave the phone powered on.

How do you save it as a script? I have Windows 10. Are the steps easy enough that you could describe what to do here? Thanks!

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
How do you save it as a script? I have Windows 10. !

I just store the 2 adb commands, (device and then the disable), in a note doc saved on my desktop. Easy cut & paste once I’ve got the command prompt.

I’m confident you will see that prompt notifications are fixed with doze disabled. Am interested to hear if you notice any change in battery consumption good or bad.

Convincing google that they broke code will be a Herculean task. I’m willing to bet it is a fairly small subset of users who notice/care that there is a notification delay. Without a really squeaky wheel from a broad group, I doubt they’d give this any attention.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Convincing google that they broke code will be a Herculean task. I’m willing to bet it is a fairly small subset of users who notice/care that there is a notification delay. Without a really squeaky wheel from a broad group, I doubt they’d give this any attention.

May be true, but there are app developers who are complaining, like YouMail, as I found out yesterday. As 3rd party apps that depend on notifications don't work properly, and those apps have customers that are unhappy, maybe Google will take note.

So far still working great! If this is really the fix, then might it be easy for Google to add code for a setting to turn off Doze?

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
I did the: adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

Is there another command? I see you said 2 commands.

After you entered the command did you get an acknowledgement that the 2 levels of doze were disabled? If so, then you are all set.

The first command I send is: adb devices

It will respond back with the device serial number. That way you know that you are connected to the device and it is taking adb commands

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Wow! That is exactly what is causing the issue and explains why notifications are delayed but eventually do come through. BUT, you would have to wonder how Google engineers use their phones to have them think this is OK. To put in place a lock that may save a little battery life, but prevents people from getting timely notifications of home security system alerts, missed phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. etc. seems very draconian.

edit: By the way, the reference by Google at that link to the phone needing to be screen off and "stationary" to enter Doze mode, is not what I experience. My phone goes into Doze mode shortly after the screen times out even when in my pocket on a hike or working in the garden, times when it is certainly not stationary.

FWIW, today was my first full day with the fix implemented. I used the phone normally, even having a few hours in and out of service so some apps trying repeatedly to do their thing before getting through. Watched a few videos, made phone calls, texts, emails, LOTS if camera use, etc. Phone was unplugged at about 7:30 am and it is now 9pm and the battery is at 77%. So I don't think I have noticed any increase in battery use from disabling Doze.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow! That is exactly what is causing the issue and explains why notifications are delayed but eventually do come through. BUT, you would have to wonder how Google engineers use their phones to have them think this is OK. To put in place a lock that may save a little battery life, but prevents people from getting timely notifications of home security system alerts, missed phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. etc. seems very draconian.

edit: By the way, the reference by Google at that link to the phone needing to be screen off and "stationary" to enter Doze mode, is not what I experience. My phone goes into Doze mode shortly after the screen times out even when in my pocket on a hike or working in the garden, times when it is certainly not stationary.

FWIW, today was my first full day with the fix implemented. I used the phone normally, even having a few hours in and out of service so some apps trying repeatedly to do their thing before getting through. Watched a few videos, made phone calls, texts, emails, LOTS if camera use, etc. Phone was unplugged at about 7:30 am and it is now 9pm and the battery is at 77%. So I don't think I have noticed any increase in battery use from disabling Doze.

In marshmallow was the first implementation of doze, it wouldn't go into doze until the screen was off and the phone was stationary for a certain length of time...... it worked amazingly..... extremely good battery life without messing anything up. In nougat they mentioned they were going to implement a "doze on the go" feature to help battery life while you were moving. That's when I knew the troubles were starting. With Oreo and Pie they just kept increasing the "doze on the go" parameters until we're where we are now :-[

Shutting down the ultra aggressive doze in Pie may just be taking you back to the marshmallow version...... which was by far the best ;-)

What I do find interesting is that my og pixel (non XL) is working perfectly with all notifications on Pie..... it seems like this is mostly affecting pixel 2's.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What I do find interesting is that my og pixel (non XL) is working perfectly with all notifications on Pie..... it seems like this is mostly affecting pixel 2's.

That is an interesting history. I do wonder about this last part though. Given what the issue seems to be, how could it possibly be phone model specific?

In any case, it won't really be resolved until we have a better option to turn Doze off... either in Android itself, or with an app or widget.

wvigotty

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
I have a 1 month old Samsung Galaxy S9+ from T-Mobile and it's having this problem. I believe the version I'm on is Oreo or 8.0. I just switched from Microsoft phones, so I'm not that familiar with the phone or OS yet. What I can tell you is that I applied Al's fix and it's working perfectly now. Thanks Al.