Notifications Delayed or Stopped?

voldejour

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Do we know for sure that all Android phones running Oreo/Pie (and perhaps Nougat) have this issue? Have any of you come across any recent Android phone that doesn't have the delayed notification issue? (keeping in mind that a specific set of conditions needs to be met for the problem to occur, namely the phone shouldn't be connected to a charger, it should be asleep for at least 3-5 minutes, etc).

JSNico

Nov 6, 2018
Visit site
Correct!

Enter this: "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" without the quotes, after step 11.

You will get a confirmation back that it has disable the two modes of Doze.

Be sure when you are trying to open the command prompt in the adb folder on your computer that you shift-right click. That hung me up for a bit as I wasn't using shift.

Thanks very much for this tips !

The adb command allows to get instant notifications on my device, perfect !

But when you reboot the device, at least in my case, the Doze mode comes back, so you loose the instant notifications.
I need to connect again to my computer then run again the adb command.

When I try to see the options with command "adb /?" it seems that there is nothing about persistent mode or something like this.
Is there some workaround to get this option persistent ?

Bladet

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site

But when you reboot the device, at least in my case, the Doze mode comes back, so you loose the instant notifications.
I need to connect again to my computer then run again the adb command.

When I try to see the options with command "adb /?" it seems that there is nothing about persistent mode or something like this.
Is there some workaround to get this option persistent ?

Nope.

It's very annoying that you can't change this setting directly in the Androids settings. It could at least be under some hidden advanced system setting.

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site

Don't reboot, or limit that for once every few weeks (then you have to throw the adb command at it again). Leave the device on but put it in airplane mode overnight if your old practice was to shut down.

I was all set to bail to an iPhone, but disabling doze has really made my device perform how it did before google messed up the code. Noticeably better battery performance and no delayed notifications.

Lospepes

Nov 7, 2018
Visit site
After reading so many forums and lost so many weeks trying to solve this problem on my note 9 and S9+, I finally found a solution that works for ME, and to be quite frank, it might be the best solution if you don't mind using a third-party app as a fix.

The solution involves using Tasker and a Tasker plugin called "secure settings" none of which require root.

I noticed push notifications on some apps would be delayed systematically 5 minutes after my phone's screen would be off.

As a result, I set a Tasker task to wake the screen up for 1 second, after 4 minutes and 30 seconds of doze time. While this might sound much, it really doesn't bother me.

The background of my locked screen is black. I even went as far as changing the clock color to black as well, hence the transition from the Always On Display to lock screen is not an annoyance.

I have also created the Tasker profile in such a way that it prevents the task from running when I go to bed.

It's sad that I had to resort to this option but until a software update exists I'm content with this solution

See screenshots below:

Tasker Profile

00.jpg

Tasker Task
01.jpg

Safirius

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi guys, so I'll just put my issue here.

I am using a Huawei P10 phone, same as my best friend. Version 8.0.0.
He gets all notifications through normally, even if phone screen is off for X amount of time.
Where as I have problems with Instagram and Google Hangouts.

I only get instagram direct messages through, if I go directly to the Instagram app.
I still get the android notification of a message i already read, over 1 hour later or so, which is weird.
For google hangouts, i don't get any notification untill i manually enter the app.

Gmail, SMS, and everything else works perfectly fine..

Since my friend is in the US now, i cant compare his settings to mine...

EDIT:
So what i did, and it instantly helped me, on my Huawei, I went:
settings>>battery>>Launch>>i checked instagram and hangouts manually, and made them run in the background.

This fixed my problem, as others said, it was Google's hardcore battery saving option, it kills some apps in the background.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Do we know for sure that all Android phones running Oreo/Pie (and perhaps Nougat) have this issue? Have any of you come across any recent Android phone that doesn't have the delayed notification issue? (keeping in mind that a specific set of conditions needs to be met for the problem to occur, namely the phone shouldn't be connected to a charger, it should be asleep for at least 3-5 minutes, etc).

Yes my brand new first gen pixel is running Pie and I've thoroughly checked it under all conditions (unplugged, screen off, not moved or used for hours) and all notifications are working normally. The only difference I probably have from other users is my settings are all stock, I haven't changed anything..... and I don't have any third party apps installed, the phone is bone stock except for the wallpaper.

leonatwm

Nov 3, 2018
Visit site
My Gmail and Calendar notifications do not come through for up to many hours, even after background operations are enabled and battery optimization is disabled. Having no choice (and lost a big job, thousands of dollars, due to the delayed notification), I finally took the plunge and disabled Doze. Now all notifications come through instantaneously -- and my battery life is considerably longer (by about 30%) than with Doze, similar to many others reported earlier. I also keep feeling my phone is cooler than before, apparently due to its using less battery than before. (See earlier posts on how to disable Doze.) Doze is a sham. Too bad Google goes out of their way to make sure ordinary users cannot disable it.

By the way, for those who care, my phone is a Galaxy S8 with Android 8.0.0 and Samsung Experience 9.0.

Last edited:

Bladet

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
I have disabled doze but I now only receive some notifications when I activate the screen.

It used to work fine with doze disabled.

Pixel 2 with Android 9.0 and latest update November 5.

I maybe should try with Doze enabled again.

leonatwm

Nov 3, 2018
Visit site
I have disabled doze but I now only receive some notifications when I activate the screen.

It used to work fine with doze disabled.

Pixel 2 with Android 9.0 and latest update November 5.

I maybe should try with Doze enabled again.

Bladet: I suppose you re-disabled Doze after your phone is restarted? Unfortunately, Doze comes back to life every time you restart your phone. If you did re-disable Doze, then it sounds like Google's new update on Nov. 5 disabled the function of disabling Doze. Anyone else can verify that? If so, I really cannot understand why Google goes out of their way to make their users' life miserable.

Bladet

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Bladet: I suppose you re-disabled Doze after your phone is restarted? Unfortunately, Doze comes back to life every time you restart your phone. If you did re-disable Doze, then it sounds like Google's new update on Nov. 5 disabled the function of disabling Doze. Anyone else can verify that? If so, I really cannot understand why Google goes out of their way to make their users' life miserable.

I know that doze will be back at boot and I have checked so it should be disabled.

It's just a few notifications that are delayed. I can verify this as I receive same notifications on my iPhone and they are sent about the same time. It's my own app. Or else could it be that google firebase cloud message is really slow sometimes.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Bladet: it sounds like Google's new update on Nov. 5 disabled the function of disabling Doze. Anyone else can verify that?

I can say that disabling Doze still works fine on my Pixel 2XL with most recent update. Hopefully Google will leave it alone......... Or add add a button to the OS interface to switch it off.

I don't agree that Google goes out of their way to cause problems, just that they can be very slow to acknowledge and fix them. This is especially true on things they are greatly invested in like battery saving. I suspect that over the years, battery life is the number one thing they get complaints about. Doze is an attempt to address that complaint and it is understandable that the engineers at Google would be hesitant to implement a button to easily allow users to turn their baby off. Just wish they would fix the bugs faster. Overall I am very happy with my Pixel and Android.

pigskins87

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
@Lospepes I am trying this now, my first attempt at using Tasker. Thanks for the post, my fingers are crossed!

It's definitely annoying to pick up the phone after a few minutes or more and have it blow up with notifications that I would have liked to see!

pigskins87

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
@Lospepes it doesn't appear to have worked for me. I tested to make sure the Tasker event was firing but then set my phone down for 20 mins or so and during that time a hockey game started. I have alerts set when a team scores. After 20 minutes I checked the score on my laptop and it was 3-0. My phone had not alerted me once. I picked it up and boom all of the alerts/notifications appeared at once. There were multiple sports alerts plus other apps.

pigskins87

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I ended up using ADB to disable doze or device idle or whatever it is. So far that seems to be working. My main issue was with the Yahoo Sports app (I have a Pixel 2 XL with Android 9). Once the phone went idle it would stop getting push notifications. Once I unlocked the screen they all appeared at once. Tasker was not working because while it would wake up the screen it was not unlocking it completely which for some reason is what I need. I have other apps acting the same way but Yahoo Sports was the one driving me the most crazy.

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a fix due for this? I recently bought a Pixel 2 in the Black Friday sales and am having constant issues with notifications despite turning off all data and batter restrictions for apps that I need immediate notifications from. I don't want to mess around with adb etc so at this point I'm close to just returning it for a refund.

Bladet

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a fix due for this? I recently bought a Pixel 2 in the Black Friday sales and am having constant issues with notifications despite turning off all data and batter restrictions for apps that I need immediate notifications from. I don't want to mess around with adb etc so at this point I'm close to just returning it for a refund.

I would return it. It has gone 3+ months without any fix or any easy toggle setting to turn off doze without adb. :mad:

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a fix due for this?

In my opinion it won't be fixed. If you follow their issue tracker database cases get opened that seem to mirror this problem then get dismissed or disappear. The issues logged are created by consumers or developers logging a complaint.

It is going to take an OEM to pressure for a fix. My OEM (Samsung) is well aware of the problem but doesn't show any sign of stepping up to the plate. Their help usually revolves around: defective device needs to be replaced, or user has a setting wrong in the os.

Disabling doze on my S8 via ADB is the fix that works on my device. It is still running 7.0 nougat. Near instant notifications and much improved battery life with doze disabled.

Al

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey