Notifications Delayed or Stopped?

pigskins87

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion it won't be fixed. If you follow their issue tracker database cases get opened that seem to mirror this problem then get dismissed or disappear. The issues logged are created by consumers or developers logging a complaint.

It is going to take an OEM to pressure for a fix. My OEM (Samsung) is well aware of the problem but doesn't show any sign of stepping up to the plate. Their help usually revolves around: defective device needs to be replaced, or user has a setting wrong in the os.

Disabling doze on my S8 via ADB is the fix that works on my device. It is still running 7.0 nougat. Near instant notifications and much improved battery life with doze disabled.

Al

Al,

While researching this issue and before finding this thread, I had discovered another site that discussed the possibility that this is caused by the removal of the setting to keep WIFI on during sleep (that option no longer exists in advanced WIFI settings). That discussion included a different ADB command to change the option but I don't recall it saying whether or not the change would survive reboots.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to other sites. The article I want to post was actually about someone saying that they felt like WIFI was *not* turning off during sleep and they wanted it to. But someone discovered a way through ADB to set the mode to be one of 3 options: Keep WiFi on during sleep, Keep WiFi on during sleep only When Plugged In, Don't keep WiFi on during sleep. The ADB command is "adb shell settings put global wifi_sleep_policy x" where x is 2, 1, 0 based on the desired behavior.

Have you heard about this?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about that command sticking after reboot, but I suspect it will not, just like the Doze fix command.

Is anyone running the December Pie security update yet? Wondering if it has any impact, positive or negative on the Doze issue. I read that this month the update not only includes security patches, but several interface and system function changes. Don't want to apply the patch until I know for sure it won't hinder the ADB turn off Doze fix.

pigskins87

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Not sure about that command sticking after reboot, but I suspect it will not, just like the Doze fix command.

Is anyone running the December Pie security update yet? Wondering if it has any impact, positive or negative on the Doze issue. I read that this month the update not only includes security patches, but several interface and system function changes. Don't want to apply the patch until I know for sure it won't hinder the ADB turn off Doze fix.

I have the December update installed. After installing it and rebooting, then verifying that notifications were still delayed, I ran the ADB command to disable Doze. Since then all notifications have come in on time.

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a fix due for this? I recently bought a Pixel 2 in the Black Friday sales and am having constant issues with notifications despite turning off all data and batter restrictions for apps that I need immediate notifications from. I don't want to mess around with adb etc so at this point I'm close to just returning it for a refund.

FWIW I contacted google who said they didn't know of any issues with notifications. They recommended clearing cache and didn't mention anything about battery saving options etc. Returning it today, unfortunatey.

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Returning it today, unfortunatey.

Your Nexus 5X could very well end up with this problem. If it gets the update to what ever file they push a "fix" out to that actually causes the problem, you will end up in the same boat.

With that said, my Nexus 6P that I did a lot of testing on when searching for a fix does not exhibit the problem. It is still on Marshmallow and is not connected to a carrier, so one of those two variables may have kept it from getting the bad piece of code. 6P is back in the drawer collecting dust as the S8 works great with doze disabled.

Al

Al Borland

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to other sites. The article I want to post was actually about someone saying that they felt like WIFI was *not* turning off during sleep and they wanted it to. But someone discovered a way through ADB to set the mode to be one of 3 options: Keep WiFi on during sleep, Keep WiFi on during sleep only When Plugged In, Don't keep WiFi on during sleep. The ADB command is "adb shell settings put global wifi_sleep_policy x" where x is 2, 1, 0 based on the desired behavior.

Have you heard about this?

I tested WiFi keep alive early in my troubleshooting. Wifi connection was alive and well when not getting notifications.

This is a problem with doze / device idle because of bad code that was pushed out. With doze disabled, notifications are prompt and battery life is greatly improved.

Al

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Your Nexus 5X could very well end up with this problem. If it gets the update to what ever file they push a "fix" out to that actually causes the problem, you will end up in the same boat.

I'm using a regular Nexus 5 on LineageOS at the moment so fingers crossed. It was nice having a new phone to play with but I think I'll hold out a little longer for something else, that or a fix. I hope it's sorted soon for the sake of everyone else though.

Last edited:

leonatwm

Nov 3, 2018
Visit site
FWIW I contacted google who said they didn't know of any issues with notifications. They recommended clearing cache and didn't mention anything about battery saving options etc.

It's amazing to me that Google does NOT even know this problem, which has been around and discussed for a long time. My Calendar notification still does not come through even with Doze disabled through ADB. They always give you the same solution for all problems: clear cache. Of course, that does not work for either of my problems.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It's amazing to me that Google does NOT even know this problem

Maybe a specific Google employee may not know about it or may say they don't know about it, but I am pretty sure some at Google do. First, many Google employees would have the same issue on their personal phones. Second, as you say, it so widely discussed and complained about it that Google would have to have a company wide policy to avoid any tech sites or social media to not know.

That brings up an interesting question. I know the issue has been posted and discussed on Reddit many times. But has anyone seen it on Twitter or Facebook? I don't really use either so don't know myself. It should definitely be all over those two if it is not already. Social media is where most people, (except me I guess), get their information.

pigskins87

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to mention one other significant symptom or issue related to this: I think when my phone is in this state, it will not automatically backup photos to Google photo. I know it seems odd because if I snap a picture then the phone is active and on wifi. But I have other apps that I backup to Google Photos as well. I just recall going into Photos on my laptop and not seeing recent pics, then I had to wake up my phone, go into Photos, and it would then start backing up. Since I've applied this adb command I have not experienced this.

lightrack

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site
I have the same issue with Pixel 3 and Android 9 Pie. By the way, I had this problem on Google Nexus 5x and Android 6,7,8 and it is simply ridiculous that Google has not fix it yet. I suppose Pixel 3 will be the last android phone I own, push notifications work perfectly well on my iPhones 4s (iOS 7-9) and 6 (iOS 8-11).

Fortunately, a command
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
fixed this, but it is not a convenient solution, because it requires a PC to run it.
Is it possible to run something like this using an android phone only?

Scott47

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately, a command
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
fixed this, but it is not a convenient solution, because it requires a PC to run it.
Is it possible to run something like this using an android phone only?

My LG V30 is rooted and running Magisk and I am able to use the Terminal Emulator application to run this command. Basically once the Terminal Emulator starts you will see and type:

:/ $ su
:/ # dumpsys deviceidle disable
:/ # exit
:/ $ exit

After you run the "dumpsys deviceidle disable" command you can run "dumpsys deviceidle" by itself and look about 3/4 of the way down in the results. You are looking for "mLightEnabled=false mDeepEnabled=false" to verify this worked. If you run "dumpsys deviceidle" before you run the disable step you'll see that both (at least on my phone) are set to true.

The su command is what requires the root level permission.

If your phone is rooted already this will allow you to disable doze without hooking it up to a PC. It's still really inconvenient but just not quite as inconvenient if you are not near a PC.

I'm sure there is a way to automate this, but I haven't found it yet. If anyone else has any ideas please let us all know.

:)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry you guys are still having so many problems getting notifications...... I would most likely move to another phone if I had to run those commands through a pc on every reboot... I reboot daily. That's one reason I leave my phones on default settings and don't use third party apps...... my phones seem much less problematic that way. My pixel is working great on Pie so far (fingers crossed).

Overall though I'm not a big fan of updates.....if something's running great, I won't update it unless there's a new feature I know I'll use. And that almost never happens.

I am getting irritated by all the companies that are now taking away our ability to decide whether we want auto-updating turned on or not. Roku just screwed my box up with a forced update that I can't turn off. Microsoft just screwed my wife's pc up with a forced update I can no longer turn off. And I was surprised Google forces auto updates on us.... making us enable developer options to turn them off. All my previous Android phones asked me whether I wanted to update to a new os or not.

I'm not liking having my choices taken away at all :-[
And that is definitely going to have some effect on my purchasing decisions...... I won't be owning any more Roku's or windows powered devices for sure ;-)

sydthe

Dec 30, 2018
Visit site
I'm sure there is a way to automate this, but I haven't found it yet. If anyone else has any ideas please let us all know.

:)

Hi,

i manage to get this automated with tasker. I created an event on "Device Boot" and a task "Run shell" as root with the command "dumpsys deviceidle disable" (without the "") And after reboot I checked in the console with "dumpsys deviceidle" and both of them where false.

Thanks for this great thread, I hope this helps others as well. Without it I still would wait for my email notifications.

Happy New Year to all of you!