Notifications Delayed or Stopped?

abo shama

Dec 31, 2018
Visit site
same problem with nokia phone.and i think it was related to battery optimization option called adaptive battery that limits battery for frequently used apps notifecation may delayed for those apps.

Protke

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
I just want to thank everyone contributing to the solution, since Dozer definitely appears to be the culprit here.
I have a 1 week old MI A2 (Android One), upgraded to Pie at the start and I can safely say I am experiencing the same issue.
I will try this "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" but I would like to do a personal morning/night battery usage statistics to see if the drain is affected in any way - confirmation bias is a helluva thing :)

And now one huge rant to all the app developers:
There is a crystal clear line on the link saying:
If your users must see a notification right away, make sure to use an FCM high priority message.
So why are the comm app developers (e.g. Whatsapp), especially GMail, not using FCM high prio?
/endrant

Bladet

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
And now one huge rant to all the app developers:
There is a crystal clear line on the link saying:
If your users must see a notification right away, make sure to use an FCM high priority message.
So why are the comm app developers (e.g. Whatsapp), especially GMail, not using FCM high prio?
/endrant
Thanks for the link. I will try it with my own app and see how it works with priority high for all notifications.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Phone reboot after the January update. Decided to see if the issue was still there.... Yep.
Had to disable Doze again - real time notifications are back.
Can't believe this is still an issue.

pigskins87

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Since I've started using this fix/workaround I've had 2 instances where my Pixel 2 XL's ambient display or whatever it is called that always displays the current time, date, temp on the idle screen has shut off. A reboot corrects it but then I have to re-apply the adb commands of course.

pino de vogel

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
Howdy new here but i had to register to get in on this thread and hopefully provide a fix.

Im not entirely sure if i have the exact same problem but i have bin spending 3 months researching and testing myself and found something that seems to work so far in my situation including after reboots.

So from the start...
After updating my redmi note 5 to android oreo 8.1 i stopped getting whatsapp notification sounds. as im a light user i didnt fully realize this intill a while later and people told me in not responded.
So i went ewn took a closer look and indeed no notification sounds.
However this is were our situations MIGHT differ. at first i thought i got no notifications at all but shortly after i figured out i needed to give apps permission to post icons in the top bar or apear on the lockscreen.
To give permissions for my phone its to show notifications on lockscreen : settings > Notifications and Statusbar >enable show on lockscreen.
To give permisssions to show notifications on status bar : settings > Notifications and Statusbar > App-notifications > select the app you have issue with and tick the show notifications box.

(names might differ seeing my phone is not in english and this is freely translated by me to what should be the right setting name)

After doing this i realized that the messages did come in but it simply refused to play any sounds to notify me that i had a message. As when i turned on my screen i saw the whatsapp icon on top telling me there was anitification.

so after then there was a 2 months long search testing and testing setting after setting resetting the phone testing some more untill i found 1 small guide by someone that actualy helped me realize what the problem was for me and hopefully for you lot aswell or atleast someone else who comes to this topic with the same annoying problem.

The reason there were no sounds was because for some unknown reason whatsapp in my case despite having high priority messages enabled in settings did not deliver notifications with high priority but with medium priority.

Short background on low medium and high priority.
Low : no sound no delivery message will be collected when you turn on the screen.
Medium : message will be delivered but no sound will be played.
High : message will be delivered and sound will be played
there are more settings for for example turning on the screen or showing a popup screen but lets keep it simple.

So after reading that basics on how doze handled those message priorities a lightstarted to blink and i started looking at more specific solutions and found that others already had these kind of iddies and made a tasker addon for it that can also be used on stand alone.

so the fix :

Go to the play store and download the app AutoNotification made by joaomgcd.

start the app and click on Use for free (adds to unlock the functionality you only have to do this once)

then scroll down and click on notification interception > check intercept all if not checked > on top click on enable notification intercept > enable autonotification permission.

Go back to the start screen of the app and click on notification categories.
From there select the apps you have issues with and set priority to High for the right notification channels (i just did all for whatsapp).

After this drag the app to a flder with apps you never use and leave it there. Uninstalling undo's this sound fix (tested that).
This app had zero idle drain if left inactive after 2 weeks of testing so it only costs a few mb of storage so its completely harmless to leave idle there.

I hope this helps people and is as complete as it should be as my trail of this app ended and can no longer verify the last step.
Added bonus with this app you can also disable annoying notifications or disable the sound for it if you feel like it.

The crazy **** we have to do with mobiles in 2019...and we thought rooting to delete bloatware was bad...

Im not one to stick arround on forums but ill try to open the forum once or twice more to see if there are any questions :)

Again hope this helps people as these issues certainly cost me 2 years of my life and gave me half my grey hairs...

Puddings_pies

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if I had the same problem, but very similiar. I was getting very few notifications. Probably those apps that set their notifications to high priority.

Anyway, uninstalling Clean Master app did the trick for me.

Now I'm bombarded by notifications due to me switching everything on whilst trying to figure out what was wrong.

This link relating to slack was very helpful. https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/360001562747-Known-issues-with-Android-notifications where it highlighted Clean Master

golgodor

Feb 19, 2019
Visit site
Hi, first of all, thank you for all your recommendations.

My problems I think is very specific. Like most of you here I began experiencing delayed notifications since updating to Oreo. I already turned Doze off. At first, I thought my problem was fixed, but sadly I continued to experience delayed notifications.
The difference is that I only experience delayed notifications on Wifi. And like most of you when I leave my phone idle for more than 10 minutes.

When I switch to data, all notifications come normally. Even when left idle for more than 20 minutes.

So you could say is my WIFI right? The thing is all other devices work well with my wifi and spotify on the same phone works without problem for hours after the screen goes off.
Also a skype call works fine after the screen goes off even after a long period. So wifi doesn't disconnect.

Very weird.

So to put it simple, I experience delayed notifications only on wifi, when on data everything works fine. Anyone else with the same problem?

Maybe someone have any idea on what could be the problem. I'm lost, the only thing I haven't tried is a factory reset. I was holding up on that one but I'm gonna have to try it.

Ron999

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Disabling doze did not work for me. What did work was uninstalling the updates and going back to the original version of the Google app for my ROM (7.2.26.21.arm64) (Setings > Apps > Google > uninstall updates). Sux that Android can now force app updates but at least for now it is working.

For those that disabling doze solves the problem, IF YOU ARE ROOTED, you can create a boot script to disable doze every boot. Details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15lBZ-0mwM.

One more reason to never buy a phone that can't be rooted IMO.

pierhh

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
Can't believe still has this annoying problem on my Samsung Note 9 Android Pie.It was there from Oreo. If you don't get on time notification then its is not smart phone..I will go back to the old IOS phones,at least I can get notify..

Fille84

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Back to iPhone. This is silly, have had several android-phones lately, and no one manage to give me the notifications in time, or sometimes not at all. I mean WTF Google!

Last edited:

evergreenpsyche

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if this has been covered already, I don't have the patience to read the whole thread especially as I just solved a similar issue after recently upgrading to Oreo on my Nexus 5X.

I'm posting just to warn people -- did you use Titanium Backup or any other method to restore your apps & data? If you do this with any Google apps, it will cause your phone to use your old (and Wrong) device ID for GCM push notifications and this will mess things up

I don't know if any non-Google apps might be affected the same way.

My issue was with Gmail and Hangouts. Once I uninstalled the restored version and re-installed from the store, I started being able to receive notifications instantly again.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
I apologize if this has been covered already, I don't have the patience to read the whole thread especially as I just solved a similar issue after recently upgrading to Oreo on my Nexus 5X.

I'm posting just to warn people -- did you use Titanium Backup or any other method to restore your apps & data? If you do this with any Google apps, it will cause your phone to use your old (and Wrong) device ID for GCM push notifications and this will mess things up

I don't know if any non-Google apps might be affected the same way.

My issue was with Gmail and Hangouts. Once I uninstalled the restored version and re-installed from the store, I started being able to receive notifications instantly again.

I wasn't aware that you could uninstall Gmail unless your phone was rooted. Am I missing something?

Bladet

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Back to iPhone. This is silly, have had several android-phones lately, and no one manage to give me the notifications in time, or sometimes not at all. I mean WTF Google!
I guess all Google developers are also using iPhones. Because they must be aware of this huge problem.

I have tried add high priority to the notifications to my own android app but they are still randomly delayed.

katnapped1972

Mar 26, 2019
Visit site
FWIW the S10 still has the same problem. Notifications seemed to be coming instantaneously or not long after, but about 2-3 weeks after I initially received the phone, we're back to a massive dump of notifications all at once. Could disable doze I guess like I did with the S8+ but this is getting ridiculous.

sa a

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem as you mate. Have you found any fix?
I did disable doze via adb on the laptop but that doesn't have seemed to help on snapchat and Instagram

sa a

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site

My problems I think is very specific. Like most of you here I began experiencing delayed notifications since updating to Oreo. I already turned Doze off. At first, I thought my problem was fixed, but sadly I continued to experience delayed notifications.
The difference is that I only experience delayed notifications on Wifi. And like most of you when I leave my phone idle for more than 10 minutes.

When I switch to data, all notifications come normally. Even when left idle for more than 20 minutes.

So you could say is my WIFI right? The thing is all other devices work well with my wifi and spotify on the same phone works without problem for hours after the screen goes off.
Also a skype call works fine after the screen goes off even after a long period. So wifi doesn't disconnect.

Very weird.

So to put it simple, I experience delayed notifications only on wifi, when on data everything works fine. Anyone else with the same problem?

Maybe someone have any idea on what could be the problem. I'm lost, the only thing I haven't tried is a factory reset. I was holding up on that one but I'm gonna have to try it.

Hi mate I'm having the same problem as you, have you found a fix yet?

Japro

Mar 31, 2019
Visit site

Very weird.

Same behavior on my Note 9. Tried with different WiFi networks, same delay. FWIW, factory reset did nothing for me, but maybe it will help you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan