Where did the text messaging widget go in Android 9 Pie????

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

After the update to Android 9 Pie, one of my most useful widgets - the one that displayed a list of recent text messages in a sort of "inbox" format on my home screen - stopped working and then disappeared. Sadly it is nowhere to be found in the widget menu anymore. WHY WHY WHY. Why get rid of this??? You kept the Gmail one. Am I missing something?? Why get rid of these practical features?? What does the new "messages" widget even do?? Looks just like it's just a new app to sync messaging apps and I am NOT INTERESTED in that. This is so frustrating!!! I just don't understand why the messages "inbox" widget is no longer available. It was so convenient!!! Ugh!

remingtontonar

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
I just noticed that as well. The widget wasn't updating, so I restarted my phone and then it was gone. Very disappointing. If anyone has a replacement or a workaround, please post it!

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
yes lost this last night. it was my homepage widget that allowed me a long skinny 4x1 size and I know of no other widget that will allow me to squeeze on my homepage. Anyone know of widget that gives the skinny option?

How stupid of these developers to shelve tools of the blue--very uncool.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
They seem to be dumbing down and taking away features with the last couple versions of Android.....I suspect they're trying to be more like Apple. And Apple is doing some things to be more like Android. They're converging, and a lot of folks have been noticing it :-(

I've already started losing my excitement for new Android versions because of it :-[

wspaw

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
They seem to be dumbing down and taking away features with the last couple versions of Android.....I suspect they're trying to be more like Apple. And Apple is doing some things to be more like Android. They're converging, and a lot of folks have been noticing it :-(

I've already started losing my excitement for new Android versions because of it :-[

It seems this is a function of the updated Messages app. I lost the widget on 8.1, as well. Also, color coding contacts is no longer allowed.

Puffletiri

Sep 8, 2018
Visit site
It seems this is a function of the updated Messages app. I lost the widget on 8.1, as well. Also, color coding contacts is no longer allowed.

The only advice I've seen that works is uninstalling the updates and turning off auto-update. I have the original Pixel and it worked. I agree with everyone else- most useful app/widget combo besides weather. Is there a good place for us all to lodge complaints with Google? (If that would.even make a difference.)

The Sarge

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I just discovered that the new version of this app deleted the desktop widgets. ******* Google, always killing off good features for no God dam reason. Gaaaaaaahhhh!

Travis Tokach

Sep 12, 2018
Visit site
I asked them about that. The only work around is to clear the message app cache then uninstall updates and it'll revert back. I did that then the next day the app automatically updated. Hopefully they are working on it. It's the most useful widgit for me.

angelic20322

Sep 15, 2018
Visit site
Go to settings, apps, messaging, press the 3 dots in the corner and and uninstall the updates. It will go back to the last version. That's what I did and my messaging widget came back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar