Objects not loading since Pie update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Ever since I updated to Pie, certain objects (photo galleries, tracking info on the Amazon app etc) simply doesn't load. There's just an empty space where the info \ image should be. I've checked, and everything is up to date. Does anyone have any bright ideas before I reset my phone (which I really don't want to have to do!). Thanks!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Ever since I updated to Pie, certain objects (photo galleries, tracking info on the Amazon app etc) simply doesn't load. There's just an empty space where the info \ image should be. I've checked, and everything is up to date. Does anyone have any bright ideas before I reset my phone (which I really don't want to have to do!). Thanks!

I would try a cache partition wipe before the factory reset..... you'd be surprised what it can fix. Plus it's super safe, removes nothing, and is quick and easy to do. Also keep in mind if you're having issues with 3rd party apps it could very well be they're not optimized yet by the developer for pie.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would try a cache partition wipe before the factory reset..... you'd be surprised what it can fix. Plus it's super safe, removes nothing, and is quick and easy to do. Also keep in mind if you're having issues with 3rd party apps it could very well be they're not optimized yet by the developer for pie.

That's a good thought, but if it's a Pixel phone, there is no system cache partition to wipe (since Pixels utilize dual system partitions for seamless updates).

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That's a good thought, but if it's a Pixel phone, there is no system cache partition to wipe (since Pixels utilize dual system partitions for seamless updates).

Wow I never knew that..... I have a brand new original pixel I'm getting ready to put into action, it's going to be going from nougat to Oreo to pie. I'm going to set it up without the Sim in, so I'll be able to take the time to do it right and still have my other phone working. I'm going to factory reset after each upgrade to make sure and minimize as many problems as possible.

I'm wondering though, how do you keep a phone that receives monthly updates for years at a time, plus a couple of os upgrades, running smoothly without the ability to wipe the cache partition? It's saved me multiple factory resets on my current phone, and it's a VERY handy way to keep the phone running smoothly, on a regular basis, when the app updates start building up?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've wondered that myself, but to be honest, I've never noticed any performance issues or persistent glitchiness on my Pixel 2 XL (or 1st gen Pixel XL before that) which would have prompted me to wipe the cache.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've wondered that myself, but to be honest, I've never noticed any performance issues or persistent glitchiness on my Pixel 2 XL (or 1st gen Pixel XL before that) which would have prompted me to wipe the cache.

That's good to hear..... not being able to wipe the cache partition had me a little worried there at first :O I did a quick Google search, and it was mentioned a few times that the pixel does it's own version of a partition wipe when it's rebooted.

Now when I set it up for the first time, is it going to default to auto-updating the os? If that's part of the seamless updates I'd like to turn that off during the initial setup.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, I always get prompted for system updates. I don't think there's an option to allow updates to install automatically, although I've never put off updates long enough to see if at some point they get force-installed.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd (and I did) manually update to the September 2018 factory ROM to start. One step. (You'll have to unlock the bootloader but, if you're not going to run Magisk [root] or TWRP, you can relock it as soon as the ROM finishes installing.)

As for the system cache, if the phone isn't stopped by removing the battery, and all the system software running in the phone is written correctly, the cache gets cleared when you shut the phone off. (It's also one of the fastest shutoffs I've seen.) The only reason for a cache wipe is an app that doesn't clean up after itself or shutting the phone down before shutting the app down. (A properly developed app should clear its cache as it closes.)

So Google does the hardware, Google does the software and it all works out well. (As far as the a/b system, if anyone has the patience to check through my years of posts, you'll see that I asked why they weren't doing that years ago. It's 1998 technology [at least - I worked on developing an update system like that in 1998] and it sure saves you from things like the battery dying during an update. The phone just boots to the unupdated side again and you get to try to update the other side again. Finally. [Can I ask for royalties?])