Assumes you are sending a text to a person

realkewl

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Hello all,

The subject is for the New Pie Messages App.

It assumes you always want to send a text to a person. Well, that is a bad assumption. I check my balance on my pre-paid phone. I also add or remove features on my pre-paid phone through SMS.

I can no longer send *112# because the new app assumes you are sending a text to a person. So you get error message Invalid contact. I have not found a work around or am I doing something wrong.

If someone knows how to get around this, please let me know.

Just my two cents below:
Google is going down the path that Microsoft did years ago. Trying to do everything the competition is doing. Facebook has messenger, Insta-gram has messenger, etc.. So google wants a messenger. They are hoping to steal customers from these already tried and true platforms...hmmm...how did that work for Microsoft. Just my two cents.

Thanks,
realkewl

UPDATE:
Sorry all this is not a Pie issue but an Android Messages app issue. I just contact Google and they are going to look into the issue.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google has had a messenger since ... day 1? Day 2? Always. Android Messages and Android Messages are the same thing. Android is Google.

As for the balance, isn't there a number (5 o6 digits, probably, depending on your carrier) that you text BAL to? Or just dial *BAL# or something similar on the phone?

The subject is actually "Which carrier (or MVNO) are you on?"

realkewl

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Google has had a messenger since ... day 1? Day 2? Always. Android Messages and Android Messages are the same thing. Android is Google.

As for the balance, isn't there a number (5 o6 digits, probably, depending on your carrier) that you text BAL to? Or just dial *BAL# or something similar on the phone?

The subject is actually "Which carrier (or MVNO) are you on?"

Do you have Android Pie? Did you try texting *BAL# ? Sounds like you do not, because if you did you would have noticed you cannot type that. You first have to select a contact before you can send a text. That is the problem I am having.

If you can type this, please let me know how you did it, because I cannot.

Agreed, Android had messages from day 1, however it was SMS messages, not like facebook messenger, which to me, seems like that is what they are trying to do. Which now prevents me and others from doing what we once was able to do. Text our carriers commands via SMS.

BTW my carrier is Claro Dominican Republican.. if that helps...

Thanks,
realkewl

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just to be sure -- you used to be able to send that code as a text to some short code number for Claro? I'm used to those codes being sent through the Phone app (i.e., dial *112# then tap the Call button, and then you get a message back telling you how may minutes you have). This isn't an official Claro site, but it only mentions dialing that code in the Phone app, not texting it anywhere: Dominican Republic | Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08