PIE Battery Drain on Pixel 1 XL

Brigitte Laskowski

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
My battery on my Pixel 1 XL using OREO 8.1 was awesome. But since updating to PIE 9.0 I have been experiencing a huge battery 🔋 drain even with the brightness set way low, most apps set to dark mode, notifications turned off except for essential apps, adaptive battery and adaptive battery turned on. I have also limited which apps get access to the phone app. But still I am end up using my battery in less than an hour. Help? Also when will we get the 9.1 PIE update?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us the battery graph -- go to Settings>Battery, then tap Menu>Battery Usage. Tap Menu again, then Show Full Device Usage.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

It would also help to see what your cell signal strength is like. You'd have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Have you did a factory reset since upgrading to Pie? From what you're describing you desperately need one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you show us a screenshot of what I suggested previously, after you've used the phone from 100% down to about 20-30%?

Brigitte Laskowski

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I added the results of the GSam Battery Monitor on Twitter with a screenshot picture. I missed taking the screenshot while I was not charging because the battery only took an 1:40+ minutes to drain to 1% & so I had to plug in quickly. On Twitter I am Brigitte Laskowski singerskates.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, sorry, I don't really do Twitter. It'd help if you could post the image here as well ...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You must be using one of the apps. Do you have access to a computer? It's generally easiest to post images using the desktop web interface for the forums.

Zoloo Fanny

Nov 7, 2018
Visit site
Same problem here. My Pixel gets hot after using Facebook, Chrome after 5 minutes. The battery drain do fast. 1% per minute. Does anyone have a solution?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Pie is pretty new, I'm sure there's quite a few third party app developers out there that haven't optimized their apps for Pie yet. I'm suspecting a fair amount of these issues are from third party apps. Doing a factory reset without restoring any apps, then running the phone for a few days might tell you a lot about what's going on. If the phone runs fine add apps back one at a time so you can catch the problem app. I know it's a short term hassle but it beats a long term problem ;-)

I know Android's cool because of the huge app store and all the free apps, but there's a dark side to all that free-ness :-[

mr2gti

Nov 26, 2018
Visit site
Hope this helps, but turning off Mobile Data solved the issue. On WiFi and the battery has sat at 25% for 2 hours now. TWO! With mobile Data on, that 25% changes to 24% in 3-5 minutes.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I added the results of the GSam Battery Monitor on Twitter with a screenshot picture. I missed taking the screenshot while I was not charging because the battery only took an 1:40+ minutes to drain to 1% & so I had to plug in quickly. On Twitter I am Brigitte Laskowski singerskates.

It sounds to me like your Pixel's battery is on the way out rather than the OS messing it up. Are you saying the phone will die within 1hour40mins? That is nuts.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My battery on my Pixel 1 XL using OREO 8.1 was awesome. But since updating to PIE 9.0 I have been experiencing a huge battery ?????? drain even with the brightness set way low, most apps set to dark mode, notifications turned off except for essential apps, adaptive battery and adaptive battery turned on. I have also limited which apps get access to the phone app. But still I am end up using my battery in less than an hour. Help? Also when will we get the 9.1 PIE update?

I know it's a little late for your current pixel, but next time you have a phone working great, don't update the os. You're not going to get any "killer" new features you'll probably care about or even use, and a new os isn't going to make a great working phone work any "greater", it's just going to introduce new bugs to your already great working phone.

Updates are over hyped, and most folks just want them because they're new, not always better.

If something ain't broke, don't fix it. To stop auto updates on pixels you have to go into developer options..... but it's an easy straightforward procedure to turn auto updates off.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My battery on my Pixel 1 XL using OREO 8.1 was awesome. But since updating to PIE 9.0 I have been experiencing a huge battery 🔋 drain even with the brightness set way low, most apps set to dark mode, notifications turned off except for essential apps, adaptive battery and adaptive battery turned on. I have also limited which apps get access to the phone app. But still I am end up using my battery in less than an hour. Help? Also when will we get the 9.1 PIE update?

I know it's a little late for your current pixel, but next time you have a phone working great, don't update the os. You're not going to get any "killer" new features you'll probably care about or even use, and a new os isn't going to make a great working phone work any "greater", it's just going to introduce new bugs to your already great working phone.

Updates are over hyped, and most folks just want them because they're new, not always better.

If something ain't broke, don't fix it. To stop auto updates on pixels you have to go into developer options..... but it's an easy straightforward procedure to turn auto updates off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan