I'm looking to reset my Galaxy Note 9 after getting the Android Pie update, and thankfully went to check my backup settings as I assumed my phone was being backed up automatically.

As you can see, in general it has not. Furthermore, I can't manually backup as the option is greyed out. I have used the Samsung backup option, but it doesn't handle App Data like Google's backup can (sometimes unreliably) do. It also can't auto restore apps in general.

Any suggestions on how to get this working? Google Drive Backup disabled on Android Pie-screenshot_20190306-015210_google-play-services-picsay.jpeg
    03-06-2019 02:56 AM
    Did you try turning off the back up then turning it on again?

This may be something imposed by Samsung or your carrier (if the device is branded), have you checked in the S9 forum to see if anyone else there is seeing the same thing? I ask because my non-Verizon Pixel 2 XL running Pie seems to work as expected on this screen.
    03-06-2019 08:53 AM
    I haven't looked in the S9 forums but tried searching on Google to no avail (especially if for the Pie update). Shouldn't be something Telus disables on their system but will fire off a tweet to see if they can replicate the issue.

Also, to clarify, this is a regular Google account, though I've also tried my Google account for business email and it still was disabled.
    03-06-2019 09:27 AM
    Just got an S10 and I have the same problem.
    03-06-2019 08:06 PM
    I had a rep with my carrier who had an S9 and they had the backup option available, so I know it's not ALL Samsung phones with the One UI update.

I also completely botched my WearOS setup as I dared try mucking around with Google Play Services versions, so I might just give up and do a factory reset and rely on Samsung's backup for what it can do. I used the "List My Apps" app to generate links to all my apps which I can email to myself, so at least that process should be easier.

That said, I might sell my Note and get an S10 so maybe I'll give it a few days too - just confusing why backup want available.
    03-06-2019 08:11 PM
    I noticed that Samsung Cloud back up is gone also and they've installed Verizon Cloud. I really hope Verizon didn't remove our ability to backup to Google.
    03-06-2019 08:55 PM
    I received an update to the Google app on my phone and now can back up my data.
    hallux likes this.
    03-08-2019 04:38 AM