What Was the Objective of the Pie 9.0 UI Update?

UnderDuress

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
Listen, as a 23 year IT Network Engineer I know the games, but come on!

Can you folks quit trying to justify your jobs and just focus on the Security aspect of things, and setting up a communication channel that's better than a "Blog" comment page for feedback on this stuff?

Who's Beta Testing this? Certainly not anyone on my level, I can assure you.

My Phone is a tool, one that I use prolifically throughout the day, and I don't need somebody pushing down a new OS so I spend the next four days on and off trying to figure out were you hid this or that and the things that I already knew how to do.

How's about instead of pulling a "Microsoft" and making it so that everybody has to "learn how to walk" again you leave the stuff that's working alone, implement the changes and enhancements you want without changing the entire landscape? I mean, if you want to give the Mona Lisa a nose job, you don't paint the whole painting over again folks!!

I get that there are new security issues always arising; after 23 years of IT, we are STILL plugging holes, as we should be, but come on guys, do you REALLY have to change EVERYTHING, put all the functionality in different (almost hidden) places, and cripple everyone with a new way of doing things to ADD FUNCTION?

That's just plain narrow minded, and in the interest of occupational self-preservation; "Hey, let's get a study group and hand pick them to tell us all these things that they would like" instead of bouncing it of the average off the street users so you can justify your positions and paychecks to redesign what for the most part was "Awesome" and worked very well".

I for one am also quite upset that I buy a phone that does specific things, only to have you folks "Decide" for us (as you, the people in charge of patches, security, and overall operational function) are suddenly far wiser, and know better what we need and decide to chuck a complete UI and re-develop a new one without any input from any specific or real end user sampling during beta.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but where in the heck is my "OPT OUT" Button for updates so that if I AM HAPPY WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE, I can leave it that way? It's my phone, I paid for it, and it looks, feels, has the colors and all the stuff I LIKE AND USE. I don't go and redesign your house and furniture that you have while your are away and don't tell you about it!!!

How about leaving my stuff alone until I can get a good look at what you want to push down, and maybe let me try it or see a video before you JAM it down OUR THROATS...how about that for a concept?

And by the way, who came to you and said, "This simply will not do, it's not functioning, nobodies happy, and we need to fix it pronto"? NO ONE did. You guys ran out of stuff to do, and somebody said, "well, we need to keep our jobs, so let's see...... we can find a way to justify these (so called) enhancements, but we'll have to create a whole new UI that's totally different to make it better".

I've been on the phone with Samsung Engineers AND T-Mobile Engineers, and these guys have told me for the last two weeks their lives have been TOTAL MAYHEM because NOBODY likes the 9.0 release..... even those who haven't had their phones broken by interrupted or otherwise corrupted roll out packages.

Yes, that's right; from their words, they told me NOBODY likes that much change, and the Tech Support Teams are getting slaughtered by angry end users calling in asking "How do I do this, I could do it before and now I can't find this or figure out how to do that".

Man, you folks need to wake up and smell the pile...... take responsibility and have a backbone. The human condition is typically resistant to ANY kind of change if what they are doing is working, even if the change makes their work easier, that's a known FACT.

And you go and drop a BOMB like this? And even worse, you tout how "Great it is" and "The Ease with which it will enable Users to do (Blah) and (Blah), etc., etc..

Please forgive me, I am not that old that I cannot embrace new things, especially new things that DO ENHANCE and make a product BETTER. This is NOT one of those things Gentlemen.

It has only served your own purposes as I have expressed, and caused many end users to spend countless hours trying to figure out how to do something that was plain as day before their update, and now they have to finally give up and call their mobile provider, phone manufacturer, or Google it until they can get answer or fix.
And your celebrating.......... sheesh!!"

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Can you folks quit trying to justify your jobs

You realize that you posted on a community forum that is in no way directly affiliated with Samsung, T-Mobile or Google, right? Your complaint is with Samsung and you should submit your feedback to Samsung. Your opinion seems to be shared among other Samsung owners that have received the Pie/OneUI update, you should browse that section of our forums. If you don't want drastic UI changes, Pixel devices had some enhancements/changes but it wasn't a complete overhaul.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would've thought someone with 23 years in the industry would've realized that we're not Samsung nor Google nor any other company -- just an independent community forum full of Android nerds.:p

There are many ways to send feedback to Google, Samsung, or whatever company you have a beef with -- I suggest you take advantage of those methods, since you clearly have a lot to share (and those companies do need to hear this kind of thing).

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
And yet another stuck in the mud curmudgeon who wants new tech to keep the old ways.

I doubt very much that "no one" likes Pie.

Forums are places where more people come to complain than they do to compliment.

I ,for one, am happy with Pie, it has increased the speed at which I can interact with my phone.

Some of the bugaboos were tied to developer overlays. I don't run a dead stock phone, I have it customized, but not rooted.

Yeah, I had to play with a few of my customizations and revert back to an older theme. But it works so much nicer now!

As I said before this Pie update actually incorporates many features that were present with PALM pre. A phone advanced well beyond what its competitors were. So much so that HP bought it and killed the Web OS .

Many developers from Pal. Moved TO Android (Google) and voila! Finally tech devices that act like they have brains!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would've thought someone with 23 years in the industry would've realized that we're not Samsung nor Google nor any other company -- just an independent community forum full of Android nerds.:p

There are many ways to send feedback to Google, Samsung, or whatever company you have a beef with -- I suggest you take advantage of those methods, since you clearly have a lot to share (and those companies do need to hear this kind of thing).

I think he's under duress

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I would've thought someone with 23 years in the industry would've realized that we're not Samsung nor Google nor any other company -- just an independent community forum full of Android nerds.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking when typing my post. I will say, though, that being in the IT field is a field in which you're always learning. I've been working the same job for close to 15 years (also in IT) and learned a new trick today, and the other tech I was collaborating with had never seen it done before either!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae