I recently upgraded from an Axon 7 on Oreo to a Redmi Note 7 on Pie, restoring from the backup saved to my Google account. One of the things that restored were the app-specific notification settings -- sort of. There are some strange artifacts that suggest things didn't convert cleanly. For example:

The Messages app had custom settings for my wife. But when I went to the Messages app, selected the conversation with my wife, and went to the notification settings, it created a new notification category for my wife (suggests to me that it didn't "recognize" the existing one), and now I have two, one that works and one that doesn't.

The Outlook notification settings are really goofy, with my Google account listed twice, and when I get an email on one account and tap the little settings cog on the notification, the category name that comes up is the name of one of the other accounts (suggests to me that it didn't match the account with the category correctly, when I had to re-set up my accounts in Outlook).

I'm thinking a quick answer would be to reset Android's per-app notification settings, so that the "legacy" converted categories will get wiped out and apps can re-create the categories as they expect. But I can't find a way to do that. Is there a way to clear out and reset these settings (preferably without resetting everything else on the phone)?
    08-30-2019 05:15 PM
    I recently upgraded from an Axon 7 on Oreo to a Redmi Note 7 on Pie, restoring from the backup saved to my Google account. One of the things that restored were the app-specific notification settings -- sort of. There are some strange artifacts that suggest things didn't convert cleanly. For example:

The Messages app had custom settings for my wife. But when I went to the Messages app, selected the conversation with my wife, and went to the notification settings, it created a new notification category for my wife (suggests to me that it didn't "recognize" the existing one), and now I have two, one that works and one that doesn't.

The Outlook notification settings are really goofy, with my Google account listed twice, and when I get an email on one account and tap the little settings cog on the notification, the category name that comes up is the name of one of the other accounts (suggests to me that it didn't match the account with the category correctly, when I had to re-set up my accounts in Outlook).

I'm thinking a quick answer would be to reset Android's per-app notification settings, so that the "legacy" converted categories will get wiped out and apps can re-create the categories as they expect. But I can't find a way to do that. Is there a way to clear out and reset these settings (preferably without resetting everything else on the phone)?
    You can try in phone settings , go to apps then 3 dots upper right corner tap scroll to app preference reset see if that works for you
    08-30-2019 05:16 PM
    You can try in phone settings , go to apps then 3 dots upper right corner tap scroll to app preference reset see if that works for you
    Not so much. It re-enabled notifications for a couple apps that I had previously disabled notifications for; but it didn't do anything to the categories on the individual app notifications settings. (Still have two listings for my wife in Messages, still have two entries for my Gmail account in Outlook....)
    08-30-2019 06:02 PM
    Have you tried in phone settings reset settings?
    Not so much. It re-enabled notifications for a couple apps that I had previously disabled notifications for; but it didn't do anything to the categories on the individual app notifications settings. (Still have two listings for my wife in Messages, still have two entries for my Gmail account in Outlook....)
    08-30-2019 06:04 PM