Force ring when on vibrate / silent (No, DND is NOT the answer)

chuzie

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Sooooo, I missed a super important call last night.

The contact was listed as an exception for Do Not Disturb however, my phone ring volume was set to silent / vibrate earlier in the day so, even though DND allowed the contact through, it defaulted to the existing volume setting which was vibrate / silent, thus I heard nothing.

Certainly there is a way to correct this problem and force the ringer volume to go up for identified contacts and be able to select this function for Do Not Disturb or not.

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi which phone ?
You should do this with ringer on mode and then set in DND what is allowed to go through.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
GS8

DND is not the answer here. Nor is having to set the ring volume before using DND.
May not be the answer but it's a way to try and do what your asking , as you have a rare question in asking to put phone in silence and want hear from a particular phone call to ring .

kingstu

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
There are paid apps that would allow you to do this. One would be Locale and also Tasker. It can set defaults and then when events happen it allows for the changing of the ringer as well as changing the default ring volume.

Last edited:

ArcAlpaca

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
I've spent a lot of time trying to find a solution to this and most of the replies I get are "DND exemptions" except you end up with something like this. I have an on-call, emergency response position that used to use pagers, and now they use SMS/phone calls. This is a problem though, because with a pager, the damn thing never shuts up until you turn it off. With a phone/SMS, it's easy to miss if you say, are asleep or accidentally turn your ringer off. Need an app that ignores silent mode and persistently notifies until you turn it off. DND exemptions is not the answer for this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21