What is the difference between buying an Unlocked International phone vs buying one at your carrier?

I know my carrier can hook up any unlocked phone so that is no issue.

Is there a difference in the phone itself? Or the service you get? Will it update?

Sometimes carries don't have the most ram ect., that a phone offers so I debate buying unlocked, International.

I have a heard time thinking all these phones must update because who would buy them if they don't update by the carrier?
    04-27-2019 01:51 PM
    Depends on the manufacturer and carrier, but most times some carrier-specific features may not be available to unlocked phones, like WiFi Calling (even if the phone itself does support it), Visual Voicemail or spam screening. Obviously carrier-specific software will not be available.

As for updates, the carrier will play no part on this whatsoever. Only the manufacturer AND the region the phone was intended for sale will. If the manufacturer releases an update in that region, you'll get the update. But sometimes an update for the same model might hit the carrier version and you won't see that. Same thing if the update for unlocked models is released but not in the region your phone is from.
    towngirl likes this.
    04-27-2019 02:05 PM
    Thanks.

I actually don't think I have ever had wifi calling.. maybe Bell doesn't have it?
    04-27-2019 02:23 PM
    I live a lot in Mexico. I've bought U.S. phones that were unlocked and international models that were unlocked. I then used Telmex SIM cards and never had a problem.
    towngirl likes this.
    04-30-2019 08:35 AM