Gestures in Beta 3

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
If your phone's set to full gesture nav, can you swipe from either side of the screen to look through recent apps? That's not working on my 2XL. And getting back through the history of home screen settings pages is a problem, too.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
If your phone's set to full gesture nav, can you swipe from either side of the screen to look through recent apps? That's not working on my 2XL. And getting back through the history of home screen settings pages is a problem, too.
Swipe up slow and you will see recent apps emerge from the left.

Take that back, swipe up slow and left or right at the same time.

Last edited:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
From either side is back a step not overview. Overview is swipe up from bottom part way.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm kinda liking the full gestures. I had really gotten used to the 2 button set-up on the Pixel, but I can see this next phase working really well.

The home action is so different .. I'm so used to the button tap.. really interesting.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
So they are giving us a choice then. Gestures or buttons. That’s cool.

Well I probably would pause on the choices. Last year during the Beta the showed choices, but when the new Pixel was released they removed the choice to their implementation.

I'll go on the limb and speculate that Pixel 4 will be full gestures only.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Swipe up slow and you will see recent apps emerge from the left.

Take that back, swipe up slow and left or right at the same time.

OK. Got it. Now that is one weird gesture since the app drawer starts sliding up just as the edge of the first app page peeks into the frame, and the string of apps doesn't actually appear until you release the gesture. That's gonna take some getting used to. Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm kinda liking the full gestures. I had really gotten used to the 2 button set-up on the Pixel, but I can see this next phase working really well.

The home action is so different .. I'm so used to the button tap.. really interesting.

They implemented the full gestures very well , different but makes sense.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I had to go back to 2 button gestures because the full navigation was very buggy with Lucid Launcher Pro. When I swipe up it often got stuck and would crash. I found it hard to go into overview mode. Back swipe worked perfectly. The issues are with the swipe up gesture

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
They implemented the full gestures very well , different but makes sense.

I spent most of the evening in the beta. i thought I was going to have trouble adjusting, especially with the app switcher where someone like me "lives". But man, I just make a lil "C" with the thumb and the switcher pops right up.

Took a second for me to adjust from the "flick" I got going on with 9.0. But I can tell, I'm going to get along just fine with the full system. Even the back gesture seems like it will be just fine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I spent most of the evening in the beta. i thought I was going to have trouble adjusting, especially with the app switcher where someone like me "lives". But man, I just make a lil "C" with the thumb and the switcher pops right up.

Took a second for me to adjust from the "flick" I got going on with 9.0. But I can tell, I'm going to get along just fine with the full system. Even the back gesture seems like it will be just fine.

Yeah getting use to the recent swipe to the sides gestures

Larzuk

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Totally digging the full gestures. Works flawless on Pixel launcher, However on Nova Launcher it locks up upon a swipe up. It will not open up the app drawer no matter what and only opens the recent apps/search on swipe up before locking up for 15 seconds or so. Q is slowly taking shape and I love it thus far. I will say I am still shocked after the 3rd beta wallpapers are getting stretched after watching YouTube in landscape mode.(This is what triggers the stretching for me).

Also curious to see how they are going to address the hamburger menu ordeal with the side swipe navigation.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Full gestures now an option. View attachment 302913
I do not like the gesture controls on ANY device. My tablet has a capacitive back button, and my phone has a mechanical back button (although I now out of pure laziness use the "Back Button" app for easy multi-tapping). I don't think any of my devices will get Q, so I'm safe (both currently on Oreo)

Could anyone confirm if https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appspot.app58us.backkey works on Q? If so, I might not dread Q as much. If not, I will not know how to survive...

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
The back gesture is almost impossible to initiate if you have a case on your phone, I therefore have to stay on the 2 button gesture option.

I hope Google sees that this could be and issue for those who like adding protect to their near $1000 device

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The back gesture is almost impossible to initiate if you have a case on your phone, I therefore have to stay on the 2 button gesture option.

I hope Google sees that this could be and issue for those who like adding protect to their near $1000 device

What case your using?
I have a case on mine no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz