Preferred navigation style

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I definitely prefer the 2 button system. I mean, I've adapted to the full gestures with little difficulty, but I used the suggested apps a lot and the two button is a more intuitive UI, IMO.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I like buttons.... they're clean, simple, precise, and do exactly what you expect them to do every time you touch them in every app.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Understandable, see for me though just make everything more fun interactive You just have to learn a few new things.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Full gestures. My other phone is the Huawei Mate 20 Pro and the gestures are identical (just a little slower and less smooth on the P3xl) so I've had plenty time to adjust to them. The animations need a little work and cleaning up especially the Home gesture but other than that it's ace.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I find it impossible to browse the internet one-handed with the new navigation gestures - going back one (or more) pages simply cannot be done.

When reading news sites and such, I hold the phone (Pixel 3XL) in my left palm and use my thumb to select links and to hit the nav bar's Back button. I find the new "swipe from edge of screen" gesture impossible to perform one-handed.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
How are the gestures with a case on your phone? Specifically the back gesture. Using beta 4 with the fully gestural nav on my 3a with a screen protector and no case.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
How are the gestures with a case on your phone? Specifically the back gesture. Using beta 4 with the fully gestural nav on my 3a with a screen protector and no case.

Surprisingly good. The biggest issue I had in other phones was this. My Huawei Mate 10 Pro (flat screen) was impossible to use the back gesture with a case on. My Mate 20 Pro (curved edge display) works fine in a case but only because of the curved edges. I'm guessing the Pixel works so well is because they don't require you to swipe in from the absolute edge of the screen like Huawei and have maybe allowed for users using cases

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Surprisingly good. The biggest issue I had in other phones was this. My Huawei Mate 10 Pro (flat screen) was impossible to use the back gesture with a case on. My Mate 20 Pro (curved edge display) works fine in a case but only because of the curved edges. I'm guessing the Pixel works so well is because they don't require you to swipe in from the absolute edge of the screen like Huawei and have maybe allowed for users using cases

Using a Rhinoshield Crashgaurd on my 3a now and took the screen protector off and the Q gestures work fine. The screen protector got in the way more than the case.

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I hope that this is the right place in the Forum to post this query. I am running beta 5, and, I'm trying to use the gestures. However they don't stick. They keep reverting to the three-button gesture format. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Due to compatibility issues with third-party launchers, full gesture navigation will only work with the stock launcher for now. They expect to have this fixed in an update by the end of the year.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought gesture navigation would not be for me, but I know prefer it over the buttons. For me it just feels more natural and fluid.

I'm still using it with Action Launcher though sometimes it reverts back to Pixel Launcher from time to time. Google still have some things to iron out and the third party exclusion is only temporary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech