anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I know we've only just got Beta 5 but am I right in thinking Beta 6 will only be another few weeks away? 5 and 6 are normally close together right? Loving Beta 5 compared to 4 but battery anxiety is not for me. Having to carry around my Huawei Mate 20 Pro in my other pocket to share take some load of the 3xl.

No, you're thinking right. 6 should be soon. 9.0 general release was Aug 6th last year, so staying with an August final release date would mean 6 should be fairly quick.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No, you're thinking right. 6 should be soon. 9.0 general release was Aug 6th last year, so staying with an August final release date would mean 6 should be fairly quick.
I completely agree. as for when Android Q beta being finalized and production ready, Google had better figure out this battery issue. Being on battery saver mode officially for me all the time starting at 45% each time per charge cycle is crap!

so, here's an update, I just reported the battery life issue to Google via issue tracker check out my screenshot...

22ec24df6cc00a749b81721c122d212a.jpg
ab401c060b6983057f271633b9ef1ba0.jpg

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Battery life on 5 is not good for me at all on pixel 3
unfortunately, this is not true! Yesterday as you can tell, I submitted an official official bug report to Google developers for beta 5.

also , what I have noticed normally on beta 5 is that is on the always on Ambient display, the battery life doesn't usually show for some reason.

And yet another thing that I've noticed about beta 5 is that when you're in landscape mode full screen zoomed in on YouTube videos, when you go to swipe up to go to the home screen picture and fishing mode doesn't work YouTube video plays in the background then you have to go back into YouTube application to resume the video. in comparison, in portrait mode if you swipe up to go to the home screen picture and picture mode works just fine.

Last edited:

dbarnes2270

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded Beta 5 and it seemed to kill all functionality that existed in the previous betas. The small pill doesn't activate the minute screen capability, no gesture navigation exists at all, unable to download new apps from the play store, the feedback capability is disabled and many other funky missteps. It looks like I got the Oreo Beta. Anyone have a similar experience?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded Beta 5 and it seemed to kill all functionality that existed in the previous betas. The small pill doesn't activate the minute screen capability, no gesture navigation exists at all, unable to download new apps from the play store, the feedback capability is disabled and many other funky missteps. It looks like I got the Oreo Beta. Anyone have a similar experience?
No I'm sorry to hear that you're having such issues with Beta 5. The only couple of issues I've had are with battery life issues and I'm testing out the always on Ambient display battery meter plus active notifications on always on Ambient display as well.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Another small bug I've noticed with Beta 5 is the battery level at the bottom of the Always On Display often disappears and so does the charging information when it's plugged in. A quick reboot fixes it but it returns a few days later

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Another small bug I've noticed with Beta 5 is the battery level at the bottom of the Always On Display often disappears and so does the charging information when it's plugged in. A quick reboot fixes it but it returns a few days later
Oh yeah yep yep definitely true about that. Not just that but on my own ambient display, sometimes notifications are delayed by a few seconds up to a minute. Meaning my phone does ring for the notification or vibrate, but I won't actually visually see it on my own ambient display until a few seconds afterwards. It's really inconsistent in kind of annoying. I just deal with it like anything else in the beta program.n

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, very interesting! My 3XL on Q Beta 5 battery life is subpar. Unbeatable I can finish my work day after 8 hours at 70% to 75% battery now and finish it at 50% battery! And that's what the same usage.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Randomly signal messenger has started showing quick replies and shortcuts to open chrome when someone sends me a link. The quick replies are only in the notification tray though. Not in the full app.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the force dark mode feature to work in this beta? The toggle turns on in developer settings but it doesn't seem to do any thing. I have been reading that it is now functional.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the force dark mode feature to work in this beta? The toggle turns on in developer settings but it doesn't seem to do any thing. I have been reading that it is now functional.
Yes, beta 5 Force dark mode in developer settings works on some Google applications and most their party applications.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, beta 5 Force dark mode in developer settings works on some Google applications and most their party applications.

Okay thanks, I thought I recalled when it was working previously that it turned the Google app dark as well as some other things and that's not happening now so maybe it's not working for me I don't know

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay thanks, I thought I recalled when it was working previously that it turned the Google app dark as well as some other things and that's not happening now so maybe it's not working for me I don't know
And beta 4, forcing dark mode in developer settings was broken in force closed all the time! And beta 5 it's back thank God! The only thing I wish that would be force dark mode is Gmail haha everybody else for Google apps has a dark mode already.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Gmail used to turn dark the very first time I tried dark mode in Dev settings prior to beta 4. But doesn't turn now.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
yep yep correct. Gmail would look so much better in dark mode! Like I said, most other applications are already in dark mode except Gmail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm