Is it worth getting the beta?

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently running pixel 3a xl with Pie, just like probably everyone here i'm excited for new updates! I've been on the fence on jumping onto the Q beta because this is my only phone so i want it to run well. For those of you that are already on Q Beta, would you advise for me not to get it? Or would you say it's safe to jump in, i won't find any big issues?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently running pixel 3a xl with Pie, just like probably everyone here i'm excited for new updates! I've been on the fence on jumping onto the Q beta because this is my only phone so i want it to run well. For those of you that are already on Q Beta, would you advise for me not to get it? Or would you say it's safe to jump in, i won't find any big issues?

I found it to be good from the very beginning. However that's not to say there weren't a few little niggles here and there. With beta 5 I think we have a near finished product, however that said the bottom line is always everyone depends on their phones to perform certain functions and do them well enough for a good experience. Some had complained about Android auto not working very well while others had no big issues with it. I don't even use AA so no problem for me one way or the other. My banking app crashed for awhile but until it was fixed I found an easy work around just using chrome so not a problem. I have no real issues with it now and find dark mode a breath of fresh air. The last beta(6) will be released soon and then that's it before the final general release to all. I think your possible issues with it will be minimal if at all. If your phone is a personal device and not needed for work I'd not be concerned about jumping onboard. As always the disclaimer is : YMMV

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
This year th beta for me has been pretty stable since beta 1. Now at beta 5 it's super stable for me feels very polished. My experience is much better if I use the 2 button gestures and not the full gesture. Although the full gestures work fine there are still a few bugs where sometimes it does not behave as if like with certain apps. So every beta I try them for a week or 2 then end up sticking to the 2 button approach bc it's more reliable and just over experience is much better for me. I'd say go ahead and flash the beta jts stable.

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site
I found it to be good from the very beginning. However that's not to say there weren't a few little niggles here and there. With beta 5 I think we have a near finished product, however that said the bottom line is always everyone depends on their phones to perform certain functions and do them well enough for a good experience. Some had complained about Android auto not working very well while others had no big issues with it. I don't even use AA so no problem for me one way or the other. My banking app crashed for awhile but until it was fixed I found an easy work around just using chrome so not a problem. I have no real issues with it now and find dark mode a breath of fresh air. The last beta(6) will be released soon and then that's it before the final general release to all. I think your possible issues with it will be minimal if at all. If your phone is a personal device and not needed for work I'd not be concerned about jumping onboard. As always the disclaimer is : YMMV

Thank you so much for the feedback! I typically use it for my camera, text, ebay and spotify as my main everyday tools. This makes me feel safer to jump on it :)

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site
This year th beta for me has been pretty stable since beta 1. Now at beta 5 it's super stable for me feels very polished. My experience is much better if I use the 2 button gestures and not the full gesture. Although the full gestures work fine there are still a few bugs where sometimes it does not behave as if like with certain apps. So every beta I try them for a week or 2 then end up sticking to the 2 button approach bc it's more reliable and just over experience is much better for me. I'd say go ahead and flash the beta jts stable.

Thanks you as well for the great info! Once the release is out, if i have the beta do i lose all my info?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you as well for the great info! Once the release is out, if i have the beta do i lose all my info?

No. But, if you back up to Google Cloud then you don't lose all your info no matter what. When I rolled back to Pie from Beta 1 it was a factory reset so I lost the specific parameters I'd set on my apps. My apps came back, my contacts came back, my photos, calender and lists came back. When I do a factory reset it takes about 90 minutes and then over the next two days I enter account names, passwords, and specific settings for apps as I use them.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I've been on the fence on jumping onto the Q beta because this is my only phone so i want it to run well.

Chances are you'd be fine, BUT I'm going to say nope. If it's your only device and you need it to work, wait for the final release some time in August. Last year the final was Aug 6th.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest waiting unless you have a second phone.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I really wonder if people know what a beta is. It's not done. It's cookie dough. If you like playing with incomplete programs, go for it. If you want a finished, well-tested, dependable program...don't go for it.

I went with the first beta and then went back to Android 9. Later, on beta 3, I think, I got in again and while there were still glitches I was enjoying using the program. But, that's just me.

And, if your real joy in life is whining you should jump in with both feet with ever beta that hits the OTA.

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site
I really wonder if people know what a beta is. It's not done. It's cookie dough. If you like playing with incomplete programs, go for it. If you want a finished, well-tested, dependable program...don't go for it.

I went with the first beta and then went back to Android 9. Later, on beta 3, I think, I got in again and while there were still glitches I was enjoying using the program. But, that's just me.

And, if your real joy in life is whining you should jump in with both feet with ever beta that hits the OTA.

Maybe you're having a bad day but don't bring your negative attitude here. This was a simple question for those who would like to answer it, not for people having a bad day to come and take it out on others.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. The only purpose of a beta id for you to find problems and report them, it's NOT so you can get Q before everyone else does. If you're not going to report problems, if you don't want problems, don't bother. Even Beta 5 may have problems. Even the final release may have problems. That's what Android is for. If you just want a phone that works out of the box and keeps updating, get an iPhone.

As for the conversion back to Pie, there's one slight, but definite, possibility, and that's hard-bricking the phone. It's rare, but it happens. Google is aware of it - and the fix for it - but the customer service people aren't, and you may end up woithout a phone until they send you the replacement. (Or, if it happens [you'll be in the bootloader with no way out, and the phone won't be recognized by a PC, so make sure the bootloader is unlocked in Developer options*. Then hold the power button in [the bootloader screen will keep flashing on and off] until the phone vibrates. Then it should be recognized by the PC, and you can just fastboot boot boot.img [get the file from the latest Pie factory update] if you want to see if your files are still there [they should be], then fastboot flash boot boot.img to get the phone back. [And if you'd installed Magisk, TWRP or both, you'll have to do it again.])

The hard brick appears to only affect the booting ability of the phone - it can't boot Android, it can't boot recovery, so it boots the bootloader.

Also be aware - some apps (many apps, in fact) haven't been updated to Q yet, so you may have to do without them until after Q is released and they get updated (which is why I left the Beta program - the phone was useless to me without a few apps that wouldn't run) - and why my phone got bricked.

*Unlocking the bootloader does a factory reset, so make sure you have backups of everything first. Locally. Just in case. And if you haven't updated by PC at least once, I really wouldn't go into the Beta program. You might find yourself doing that as often as you make phone calls at some point. You want it to be second nature.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you're having a bad day but don't bring your negative attitude here. This was a simple question for those who would like to answer it, not for people having a bad day to come and take it out on others.
All forum members have every right to express their viewpoint as long as they don't violate forum rules.

Last edited:

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

No, no bad day and no negative attitude. Does saying I enjoy using the Android 10 beta sound like a negative attitude? It doesn't to me. I answered the question but I'm sorry you didn't like my answer. Perhaps it isn't my negative attitude in play.