AVG shows Google Play Movies app as Malware

Mike8

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
AVG is showing the Google Play Movies application as malware and offers to uninstall it. Because GPlay is a base application that came pre-installed with Nexus 10 you cannot uninstall it. Is there any way of uninstalling the base applications without actually rooting the nexus 10 and violating the warranty.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You really think its malware if you do you got a long way to go.

All these mobile av's are nothing but scams, security blankets for people who lack the intelligence to actually think before they download. Their not pointing out malware but anything with suspicious permissions but it doesn't take the app into account. There have only been a couple of cases of actual malware most of which are in Chinese markets and on 3rd party sites the very few in the US that hit the play store were immediately removed upon discovery and often are knockoff apps that you can spot a mile away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ibmnasa69

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
If the AVG app is causing you problems and you feel that you need antivirus protection, why would you not want to uninstall it and get another antivirus app? There are a number of them out there. Seems like uninstalling Google Play Movies is the bass-ackward way to go about resolving the issue you're having.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
AVG is showing the Google Play Movies application as malware and offers to uninstall it. Because GPlay is a base application that came pre-installed with Nexus 10 you cannot uninstall it. Is there any way of uninstalling the base applications without actually rooting the nexus 10 and violating the warranty.

start using your brain please.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to use any security apps on my Android phones, been using Android since 2010. If the Google Movies app came installed on the phone...and you got it from a legitimate place, the problem is AVG.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Uninstall AVG.. Problem solved

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just like everyone above has said, anti virus app are the problem. For the most part they slow your phone down and kill your battery quicker constantly scanning everything. I've had Android since the G1 in 2009 and have never had any kind of virus or malware. If you use your head, don't click on links in emails, text messages from people you don't know. Don't visit questionable websites, and don't pirate apps(download from official reputable app stores like Amazon, Google Play, Samsungs App store, and pay the few bucks for the apps you like and use) you will be fine. Do yourself a favor and delete that app from your device, you don't need it.

Also, if you have a task manager on there too, get rid of that. Android has not needed a task manager since 2.2, another problem maker app.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea.....especially questionable websites. I never dared to even attempt to visit them on my phone. Maybe thats why I block more malware on my PC than I actually got hit with on my phone....lol.

Sad part is the malware I got on my phone was from games in the Play Store....kids downloading things. I know a lil bit about what looks legit vs what doesnt in the Play Store.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I seriously doubt this what you got was probably notification ads or texts messaging crud. And the biggest culport is Chinese apps like the Chinese model wallpapers and go products. So many folks think I have it on my PC it must be good on my phone or tablet. It's not it's been debunked by security exports. Heck Jerry just had a great front page blog on this a couple days ago.
Yea.....especially questionable websites. I never dared to even attempt to visit them on my phone. Maybe thats why I block more malware on my PC than I actually got hit with on my phone....lol.

Sad part is the malware I got on my phone was from games in the Play Store....kids downloading things. I know a lil bit about what looks legit vs what doesnt in the Play Store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Notification ads, and an icon couldn't be deleted from my home screen. It was easy for me to get rid of after I researched it. I would still call that malware.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Notification ads, and an icon couldn't be deleted from my home screen. It was easy for me to get rid of after I researched it. I would still call that malware.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

You would someone in the security field wouldn't just coming from someone in the industry.

flyingcloud11

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have avg installed on my phone. Although igs nice that ig scans when i download simething off the play store. I really dont see a point in having a virus scanner on uf phone. On the PC thats a different story. Any virus scanner on the phone is only good for its "find phone" feature.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have avg installed on my phone. Although igs nice that ig scans when i download simething off the play store. I really dont see a point in having a virus scanner on uf phone. On the PC thats a different story. Any virus scanner on the phone is only good for its "find phone" feature.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
That's cause there is no point, unless you want your phone to run slower. :p

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
You would someone in the security field wouldn't just coming from someone in the industry.

So...adware and not being able to easily remove an icon from my home screen isnt considered malware?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I added to my post. Different intents and definitions indeed....lol.

I got rid of it with Airpush Detector. The usual methods didnt work.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So...adware and not being able to easily remove an icon from my home screen isnt considered malware?

Some apps actually state that when you use them you will get ads or notifications. This isn't malicious it's a way to advertise. I don't like it and if a ad shows up then I remove the app. Some games or music downloads are big for this. It doesn't infect or harm your phone just annoying.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia