How many of you guys use Anti-virus apps on your phone?

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
re: How many of you guys use the Anti virus apps on your phone

I use Avast Antivirus. I use it mostly for peace of mind, but it's anti-theft features are actually really useful. And, I also plan to use the app-locking feature whenever I hand someone my phone, but I keep forgetting to do that.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I promptly turned off Lookout when I got my Note and do not use any antivirus on my phone.

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Someone on here told me that the Antivirus was not needed. Been without it for 3 months. All is well.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I use AVG and Avast. Ever since I had my original note I've always used a combination of 2 anti virus packages on my devices. Probably do nothing but hey they are free and stop me from installing pest apps, like those that put adds on the menu bar of those apps that send you unwanted text messages that you pay for. I do read the permissions closely when deciding whether to install and app but one might slip though the net occasionally so it's good the have a back up.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

Last edited:

PrinceEpyon

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

I promptly turned off Lookout when I got my Note and do not use any antivirus on my phone.

Any reason you shut it off? Bad app? Or just against them in general?
I'm in Australia with telstra and it is a "telstra recommended app" in the play store. Deciding whether to bother or not.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Any reason you shut it off? Bad app? Or just against them in general?
I'm in Australia with telstra and it is a "telstra recommended app" in the play store. Deciding whether to bother or not.

Because a little bit of common sense is all you need to avoid needing one and I do not want it running in the background using device resources and battery. Due to the way mobile OSs sandbox apps, a true virus is more or less impossible on mobile. So that means these "antivirus" software are actually anti-malware software. There are a few easy steps to avoid downloading malware on your device. First and foremost, make sure you do not leave "Allow apps from outside sources" checked. If you have an apk you want to side load, go in and check the box, install your app, then uncheck the box. Second, pay attention to the permissions apps you are downloading are requiring. Can't figure out why a wallpaper app needs access to your entire phonebook? Neither can I and I would not install that app. Finally, Google has checks built into Android that will verify apps, and strengthened these checks in KitKat and the recent Play Store developer TOS update.

TL/DR: I'm not going to let an app constantly run in the background to prevent what a little common sense and reading app permissions will also prevent.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Probably do nothing but hey they are free and stop me from installing pest apps, like those that put adds on the menu bar of those apps that send you unwanted text messages that you pay for.

I know part two of your point is now explicitly against the developer TOS since the most recent update. Google will actively pull down apps that do that.

PrinceEpyon

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. Just came across from iPhone 3 weeks ago buying a note 3. So still learning and it appears that antivirus is one of the great android debates haha.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. Just came across from iPhone 3 weeks ago buying a note 3. So still learning and it appears that antivirus is one of the great android debates haha.

It is sort of a debate. Users are divided on whether or not you should use them or not, but security experts pretty much agree that while they do not cause any harm, they don't do any good either. It is just like the great task killer debate of a couple years ago. People installed task killers (which were arguably needed on Android 1.x) and thought they were doing their phones good by not keeping the RAM all the way full (not understanding that keeping the RAM near full is just how Linux opperates), and were actually slowing their phones down and decreasing battery life. In the end, they saw reason and almost no one uses a task killer now. We will be saying the same thing of "anti-virus" in 1-2 years.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I use AVG, not sure I really need it because I only download from PlayStore. I guess it gives me a piece of mind.

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I can understand not needing a task killer I guess, I still use clean master though to rid junk files.. I guess it works as advertised.. lol

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I continued to use Lookout as a carry over from my previous Android phone.
It works well. I don't think I really need it, or the advanced features available.
I keep it to scan updates and new app downloads, which works quite quickly.

What I do notice is nearly every 2nd time I turn my screen on it notifies a full scan is just complete, or is in progress. It doesn't bother me though as it has no impact on my battery whatsoever, or doesn't appear on the high usage battery list. So I will keep it. I don't use task killers and got rid of Clean Master after a short trial.

Thanks to the Mods for renaming this thread.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: How many of you guys use the Anti virus apps on your phone

Because a little bit of common sense is all you need to avoid needing one and I do not want it running in the background using device resources and battery. Due to the way mobile OSs sandbox apps, a true virus is more or less impossible on mobile. So that means these "antivirus" software are actually anti-malware software. There are a few easy steps to avoid downloading malware on your device. First and foremost, make sure you do not leave "Allow apps from outside sources" checked. If you have an apk you want to side load, go in and check the box, install your app, then uncheck the box. Second, pay attention to the permissions apps you are downloading are requiring. Can't figure out why a wallpaper app needs access to your entire phonebook? Neither can I and I would not install that app. Finally, Google has checks built into Android that will verify apps, and strengthened these checks in KitKat and the recent Play Store developer TOS update.

TL/DR: I'm not going to let an app constantly run in the background to prevent what a little common sense and reading app permissions will also prevent.

I agree with you in principle about checking permissions, and I do, but now every update on my most basic apps want access to virtually everything. My bank today wanted a new permission to read my sms. I came to a point last year when I said no more when Chrome wanted access to the cameras and mike, and don't use it or like it. If we are using Android we are using Google, and Google controls what app developers are allowed.
I don't like it. I just have to assume most permissions are legaleez to cover develpers in every user situation, and they are not sitting at a bank of screens all day laughing at us. OK more likely that someone is trying to defraud us.

I only use the little apps I need and like (83 downloaded). I only use or have heard of maybe 10 % of apps listed in the favorite apps thread.

I would be interested in a legal take on these permissions, though I am sure it has been discussed at eternal length in related AC forums.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I learned my lesson the hard way - not using an A/V app, my phone got hacked and caught fire. My house burned down and I had to go stay in an expensive hotel with my 5 cats, 2 dogs, 4 kids and wife. Now I don't use a smartphone anymore...

I recently unretired this one however and no one can hack me now!!!!!!

motorola-dynatac-8000x.jpg

Weaser999

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

They don't really use much resources. I use AVG Pro mainly for the anti-malware and tracking the phone if lost. I don't think i've ever seen a virus detected though.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

I turned off Lookout when it started using a lot of the battery. I see it as prety much a waste of time. Even if the phone did become infected, it's pretty easy to just do a factory reset. I don't particularly worry about it getting lost or stolen as I keep a pretty tight reign on this thing. I don't let anyone even hold it unless I'm standing right there.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

I learned my lesson the hard way - not using an A/V app, my phone got hacked and caught fire. My house burned down and I had to go stay in an expensive hotel with my 5 cats, 2 dogs, 4 kids and wife. Now I don't use a smartphone anymore...

I recently unretired this one however and no one can hack me now!!!!!!

Now THAT'S what I call BAD luck :p

http://stewartwolpin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/motorola-dynatac-8000x.jpg