Is tapjoy a virus?

boriqua2000

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
what the hell is tapjoy? is this some kind of virus? they are installing jack in the box videos on my phone. i delete the file using astro file manager and as soon as i play any game the file installs itself on my phone again.ive done two factory resets but it just keeps coming back.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
How large are the videos?

My guess is it's tapjoy's way of getting ads on to your phone and those videos happen to be ads and are probably cached on your phone.

What I'm wondering is if they're large, and they're using the cell network to download them, that could kill some people's plans.

So, virus? No. Ads? Yes.

boriqua2000

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
right now i dont have any games on my phone besides spider man 3d.imgoing to re-install my games and check them one by one.is there someone we can complain to that can do something about this?

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well if you're rooted you could always try adblock, maybe their IP is in there. And it might not just be games, they could have their ads in another app and if you find out which one, you can delete or complain to that dev

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Tapjoy also makes "free" games that you will suck at unless you pay real money for ingame currency.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Tapjoy Support

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey boriqua2000,

I'm a member of the Tapjoy Support team. I want to assure you that what you have seen is in no way a virus or malware.

The files you are seeing are video advertisements provided by Tapjoy. They are cached to your device when you use an app that has Tapjoy integrated into it so that if you choose to view the ads they?ll play automatically rather then making you wait for them to load. This approach also reduces the amount of data being used.

This is easy to turn off and you can opt-out at any time. Please visit our Privacy Policy, scroll to the bottom, and enter in your device ID to opt-out so that you will no longer see Tapjoy ads. You can find our Privacy Policy here:

https://www.tapjoy.com/privacy.html

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at support @ tapjoy.com

Cheers,
Tapjoy Support

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
You need to read what you agree to. Some of the games require real money for virtual money. As I stated before. But, you can watch an ad to get currently in the game instead of spending real doe for it.

The TapJoy games I have played, it was in the agreement, and the ads don't play unless you activate them. It does make sense. If TapJoy is attached to 10 different games, why spend the bandwidth and Cell phone carrier mobile data (remember, not everyone had unlimited) to watch the same ad 10 times to get the in game currently for all 10 games. TapJoy just runs it from the cache. :cool:

While I personally don't like it, it really is not that big of a deal. Play the stupid video ad with the phone muted while watching TV. You get your currency without really watching it. :cool:

boriqua2000

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
tapjoy is not a virus.i called a guy at tapjoy called Saad and he fix the problem.he said that some games give you the option to watch videos to gain more in game money and that thats where the videos come from.if you call him he will opt you out and you will never see any of the videos on your phone again.his number is 415-766-6957

Davethebrewer

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
tapjoy is not a virus.i called a guy at tapjoy called Saad and he fix the problem.he said that some games give you the option to watch videos to gain more in game money and that thats where the videos come from.if you call him he will opt you out and you will never see any of the videos on your phone again.

Or you could do what "Tapjoy Support" said in post # 8 a few days ago:

This is easy to turn off and you can opt-out at any time. Please visit our Privacy Policy, scroll to the bottom, and enter in your device ID to opt-out so that you will no longer see Tapjoy ads. You can find our Privacy Policy here:

https://www.tapjoy.com/privacy.html

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
People defending TapJoy, read their privacy policy. They're not innocent.
If you opt out, and then later visit one of their sites, then they can still track you. You just opt out of getting notified.

There's several reasons why Apple is constantly trying to ban them from their App Store.

I only hope that Google follows suit soon.

If it smells like a virus, acts like a virus, and pisses you off as much as a virus.....

AndroidAndrew411

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Boriqua,

I think I have Tapjoy on my phone too. But I don't see any of these videos.

Can you tell me where you're seeing them and how you discovered them? Are they installed on your phone as if they were apps? Or are they showing up when you watch videos? Are did you just notice the files in some directory? :-$

I'm very curious!

Prokop0223

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
People defending TapJoy, read their privacy policy. They're not innocent.
If you opt out, and then later visit one of their sites, then they can still track you. You just opt out of getting notified.

There's several reasons why Apple is constantly trying to ban them from their App Store.

I only hope that Google follows suit soon.

If it smells like a virus, acts like a virus, and pisses you off as much as a virus.....
That's why I hate apple
Censoring apps. I can choose what will I install. Nobody has the right to prevent me from installing it.