Okay, so I looked at my updates for my apps in the Google Play Store and I found this weird update. It claims that it is from Samsung OTA Software Update, and it's called SECURITY POLICY UPDATES. I don't know why Samsung would update the security in the play store, so that is why I'm a little bit suspicious of this app. I cannot uninstall it (there is no button, and there it does not appear in the application manager). The ratings on this "app" are like 2.5 stars and people are suspicious about it too. I don't even know how it got on my phone. Is there anyone else who has seen this? If so, what should I do? I will not update it, but it is kind of annoying in the update list. I'm afraid it will try to update on its own, and I also can't press update all, which is annoying.
    11-19-2014 11:55 PM
    I got the same thing today. Watching this...
    11-20-2014 12:33 AM
    Does anyone know what this is and if it should be applied (or is it malware)?
    11-20-2014 09:12 AM
    DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!!!!

Just spoke with Samsung. They verified with Google this is NOT an official security policy update.

These updates will not/do not come through the Play Store.

Just wanted to let everyone know what I found out.
    11-20-2014 09:52 AM
    This mechanism is pre-installed on all Samsung phones. It handles "security policy updates", whatever that's supposed to be. What's being updated at the Play Store is the actual mechanism itself, which updates those security policies. No need to worry. As is also true with Google, we either trust Samsung or we don't. If they wanted to secretly spy on us, they would have far more discrete methods of doing so.

X-9 = 2B^3
    Jewel Jetta and Adesh Tamang like this.
    11-20-2014 09:53 AM
    DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!!!!

Just spoke with Samsung. They verified with Google this is NOT an official security policy update.

These updates will not/do not come through the Play Store.

Just wanted to let everyone know what I found out.
    Now that's interesting, because my research shows Samsung acknowledging its validity! So wait one day. If Samsung determines that this is a forgery, they'll be contacting Google immediately. The update will be taken down with haste. If it's still there tomorrow, rest assured that it is valid.

X-9 = 2B^3
    monsieurms likes this.
    11-20-2014 09:57 AM
    That is interesting! Not starting a war on words here. Just want to relay what I was told. The Samsung rep put me on hold. Stated he spoke with Google, and they said it was not real. He said, this is under the heading of unsupported third party updates not supported by Samsung/Google.

This will be interesting to see what is real here, huh?

Shame when we can't even trust our own support folks.

Never seen a policy update via the play store. That is why I called them to begin with.
    11-20-2014 10:03 AM
    Hey, my info could be entirely wrong. I've never seen this kind of update either. Yet if it is indeed fake, I should think Google will have it down pretty darn fast.

X-9 = 2B^3
    11-20-2014 01:36 PM
    This is the update in the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.policydm

If it's fake, it's a whole new level of fake, coming out as an app update notification from the Play Store, and if this is fake, you can't trust anything from the Play Store.

If it's not a fake, Samsung sure could have written the description better.
    11-20-2014 06:55 PM
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. Good News though: It has disappeared from the play store and my updates! Which can only really mean one thing: it was most likely a virus or malware of some sort.
    11-20-2014 11:15 PM
    I came across this thing on my Samsung too. Thank you for all your advice.
    11-21-2014 12:40 AM
    It's not disappeared from the Play Store. If it was a virus or malware it's unlikely it would just disappear from your updates. If it was malware coming through the Play Store it would be a historic attack. So it's most likely just a clumsily-applied update from Samsung.
    11-21-2014 02:12 AM
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. Good News though: It has disappeared from the play store and my updates! Which can only really mean one thing: it was most likely a virus or malware of some sort.

Be careful, it might still be there... in the play store, check "my apps -> all" and scroll down. In my case, it still is listed
    11-21-2014 02:24 AM
    What harm can this update do?
    11-21-2014 05:25 AM
    That's just it. If it is a fake, what harm can it do?

If we cannot trust the authenticity of the apps/updates from the Play Store, well; I don't know what to say.

It would certainly be a little disconcerting having to call support each time an update arrives to verify it's authenticity. Don't know about you, but I have apps that sometimes update daily.

Worse yet, if these are fakes, are our mobile security apps of any use against them?

PLEASE don't get panicked. I am sure someone is addressing this issue and we will get some positive and encouraging news about it.

I am just not going to allow security policies updates from the play store. Will manually check for them in the settings | my device area.

This is just weird.
    11-21-2014 08:01 AM
    You got that right.
    11-21-2014 08:06 AM
    If we cannot trust the authenticity of the apps/updates from the Play Store, well; I don't know what to say.
    Amazon has always said that one of the differences between it and PlayStore is that Amazon apps are vetted more carefully...
    11-21-2014 08:35 AM
    So, what should I do if this update was automatically installed due to my auto-update settings? Factory reset?
    11-21-2014 03:34 PM
    So, what should I do if this update was automatically installed due to my auto-update settings? Factory reset?
    I don't think so. No one even mentioned the harm it can do.
    11-22-2014 07:19 AM
    I don't think so. No one even mentioned the harm it can do.
    Well, the application has access to a lot of permissions, including recording audio, taking pictures/video, modifying/reading your contacts, reading your web history, drawing over other apps (which can be used to "spoof" input boxes)... in theory it could gather a lot of information on you.

That said, I'm thinking it's more and more likely to be a legitimate app. First, I find it hard to believe that someone could have obtained Samsung's signing key without it being a bigger deal. Second, they've now added it to their own Samsung GALAXY Apps appstore, and it is coming from the same account as updates to S Health and etc... on there.
    11-24-2014 01:45 PM
    This is the harm Samsung can do with their "security updates":

Samsung sneakily disables Windows Update on some PCs
    05-27-2016 04:13 PM
    Amazon has always said that one of the differences between it and PlayStore is that Amazon apps are vetted more carefully...
    Amazon has amdroid apps!!? The worst are the ones in samsung app store

I started getting the security policy update popping up after installing hackers keyboard go figure. It did update without my permission too
    06-02-2016 12:52 AM
    Seems this thread still garners interest. Yes, it is a legit Samsung update mechanism. If your phone is rooted/modified, run don't walk to your phone and disable it. I got hosed after an auto update and needed to reflash my ROM due to it reenacting Knox and killing root, which ended up with a bootloop with system level mods. Disabled after reflash and never had this problem again.
    06-29-2016 05:10 PM