Lollipop and Airwatch MDM

danaidenreed

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else out there have to use Airwatch MDM Agent for corporate access? I have had it for sometime, but recently got a new phone and had to re-enroll. Everything went smoothly upon initial setup, but about 12 hours later, Airwatch prompts that the phone still needs encrypted. The phone was encrypted during the setup, and checking the status of encryption in Android security settings shows that it is already encrypted. Now the prompt is popping up more and more frequently and making everyday use aggravating. Anyone have insight on this scenario?

Phone: Moto X 2014
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks!

-Dan

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Email support@air-watch.com or call them at (404) 478-7500. There may be some bug in Lollipop causing this (there sure are enough of them to go around), so the company would have to write a patch around the bug until Google gets around to fixing it (which, if it only affects security apps that need the phone to be encrypted, might be by Android version 11 or 12 - the big bugs, like "the phone doesn't boot" get fixed first).

BTW, 5.0 was suspended for a time for a few devices in different parts of the world for different reasons. 5.0.1, which is an attempt to fix some of the bugs, was also suspended for a time. No word yet on 5.0.2, but I'm sure we'll be hearing the screams soon. (To call Lollipop a total disaster is being kind.)

danaidenreed

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Went through several people and finally got a resolution on the matter. It was actually all caused by one setting not being checjed, and that is Settings>Security>Screen Lock>Pin>Require pin to start device. As soon as that was enabled, Airwatch rexognized the phone as compliant and all troubles were behind me.

There are certainly some reported issues with Lollipop out there, but I have yet to experience any on my Moto X. So far, its my favorite release of Android by far. One thing I can definitely credit Lollipop with is longevity of battery - the performance is so much better than it was on KitKat.

O Show

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey I've got a question for you danaidenreed... are you running any 3rd party app with AW? Something like Airwatch Inbox or Touchdown...etc? I'm curious because at my work we're running into an issue w/ Moto devices not importing the email profile to their device from AW since Moto's don't have an integrated default mail app. Similar to the Nexus devices that now run all email accounts through the gmail app. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

anon(4639)

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Went through several people and finally got a resolution on the matter. It was actually all caused by one setting not being checjed, and that is Settings>Security>Screen Lock>Pin>Require pin to start device. As soon as that was enabled, Airwatch rexognized the phone as compliant and all troubles were behind me.

There are certainly some reported issues with Lollipop out there, but I have yet to experience any on my Moto X. So far, its my favorite release of Android by far. One thing I can definitely credit Lollipop with is longevity of battery - the performance is so much better than it was on KitKat.
Thank you so much for this. Just got a Nexus 6 and this saved me a long phone call with IT/AirWatch.

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had an issue with my Samsung Galaxy S5 now being ridiculously slow after installing Airwatch.

I performed a factory reset after installing Lollipop and the phone was great. After Airwatch, my programs take forever to load and every tap on the screen takes much longer to respond.

Anyone else having this issue? Thanks!

Wiked Stik

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing. I believe it has more to with the encryption than Airwatch itself. Mine ran fine with Airwatch until I encrypted it. Now slow and delays when tapping through things.

tuttifrui

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
We just got Airwatch at work, and I have some trouble with it. The tech support says it's because Sony isn't supported, only Samsung and iPhone. The wifi works, but I can't get my e-mail to work properly. It should work automatically, but it doesn't.
Anyone here knows how to get my e-mail settings right?
I forgot to mention I've got a Sony xperia z3 compact and Lollipo OS.

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing. I believe it has more to with the encryption than Airwatch itself. Mine ran fine with Airwatch until I encrypted it. Now slow and delays when tapping through things.

Encryption is not optional though....I don't think.

Last edited:

donnawap

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I find it frustrating that the fingerprint swipe is not considered secure by Air Watch because of Samsung programming. It makes this feature useless.

Jason Pacynski

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
My galaxy s6 edge arrived yesterday,but when I am going through the install, samsung.apk hangs, not allowing me to continue.if I click on skip, airwatch will connect and allow me to authenticate.however, samsung.apk still reads as installing under applications on airwarch, anot allowing to complete the rest of the email setup.

Android 5.0.2

JSWOLF

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Exact same problem here. Samsung support was very vague "it might be addressed on next update." I just emailed airwatch support, so we will see what happens.

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think forced encryption depends on what settings the administrator chooses. I just started getting AirWatch setup for the agency I work for, and I've enrolled a Nexus 6 (encrypted), iPad (encrypted), and a VZW Galaxy Note 2 (unencrypted). Enrollment worked fine for all of them, and my unencrypted Note 2 says it is compliant.

I am also having the issue that others are having with samsung.apk getting stuck. I've tried re-enrolling it a couple times, and it gets stuck each time. Other than just not doing anything, it doesn't seem to be detrimental. However, I'm also not getting the option to browse the file system in the admin console. I think the samsung.apk file is what gives it that deeper integration. I may try encrypting it to see if this allows the samsung.apk file to install.

Screenshot_2015-04-13-12-18-50.png Screenshot_2015-04-13-12-19-02.png

Axnozum

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem on our Galaxy S6's, the samsung.apk install hangs.
Encrypting the device did not help, I am hoping for a solution soon...

Axnozum

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I have received an update from Airwatch yesterday.
Now the 'samsung.apk' installing problem is no more, it does not list anything in the managed apps section.
When looking at the profiles in the Airwatch client, the "Android SAFE EAS Policy" shows "EnterpriseExchange - not supported". So that's where the problem lies, but no solution to be found yet...

Brandon Anholt

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Would someone be able to confirm if the fingerprint scanner for the s6 works with airwatch?

I have seen articles stating that it will be supported but would like to confirm before I encrypt my device.

Also, just to confirm if I encrypt my device do I have to factory wipe it to go back?

Thanks!

Now the 'samsung.apk' installing problem is no more, it does not list anything in the managed apps section.
When looking at the profiles in the Airwatch client, the "Android SAFE EAS Policy" shows "EnterpriseExchange - not supported". So that's where the problem lies, but no solution to be found yet...

Brandon Anholt

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Would someone be able to confirm if the fingerprint scanner for the s6 works with airwatch?

I have seen articles stating that it will be supported but would like to confirm before I encrypt my device.

Also, just to confirm if I encrypt my device do I have to factory wipe it to go back?

Thanks!

blulite

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

Airwatch just updated their version in the PlayStore, it now works with native S6 email. Also, fingerprint unlock works fine with encryption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech