A serious question about the security of phone tethering. Got an accident.

A

AC Question

I was downloading a software using my router. The connection was cut and the laptop automatically connected to my Android's cellular network and kept on downloading. If the software really has viruses (my PC's antivirus said so) in it, will my Android get infected? Please provide some arguments to your answer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think it's a problem. First, when the phone is acting as a tether, it's only acting as a router--data isn't getting downloaded to your phone first, then getting passed on to the device that's tethered to it. Second, if it's malware that a PC program detected, it's probably Windows malware, which most likely will do nothing to an Android device. Third, Android malware has to be installed onto the device in order to cause problems--"drive-by" Android malware downloads exist, but they still have to be installed, so that's when they try to trick you (for example, by scaring you with some bogus virus warning and telling you to install a security app).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance