Does Android have a lack of security?

IHipschman

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I am new to andriod and am concerned about the apparent lack of security on my tablet. If I understand correctly, after I have encrypted my tablet it is impossible to change the sign-on password without doing a factory reset. Is this correct? I am also surprised that Google apps do not allow me to sign-out, so that if anyone accessed my tablet they have instant access to my email and calendar. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ivan

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the version of Android... Older versions were less secury. But if you have a device with the most up to date version, 6.0 or 6.0.1, and your device's bootloader remains unlocked, you use disk encryption and you use a strong lockscreen security choice (PIN, fingerprint, password), the only way someone is going to have access to your data is if they get a hold of it when the screen is still on and unlocked.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
There are a few steps that can be done to secure your data in the event of a device loss. You can sign in to your Google account and revoke access to your account for the device. Also, you can use Android Device Manager (as long as you set it up as a device administrator) to remotely lock and/or wipe the device.

What is your concern about resetting the password? You should be able to change it on the device without doing a factory reset, and it requires knowing the device password in order to initiate the password reset.

The idea is quick access to your data/stuff within the Google ecosystem. For this, it's easiest to leave the apps logged in, though it does present a security risk if you don't properly secure your device (encrypted and passcode are about the best you'll get). Google doesn't account for "logging out" of the Google apps on the device, you would remove the Google account entirely to accomplish that, not very convenient.

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
What do you mean by this?

Settings their is option called device administrators. It allows the program system level security i think on 6.0 its in general /security / phone Administrators: android device manager is the android equivalent to iphones find my phone or remote wipe i have never used it i do know sometimes when you have security pin and amdroid device manager. On as admin the thing cannot be turned. Off but i beleive where there is a will theres 1000 ways