Anyone having problems with this aggressive ad-loop redirect thing? It started a few days ago, from 'legit' sites as varied as Politico to TMZ - it basically takes over your browser with a pop-up asking to take to a site with an HTTP address with "banachpuritanamount" in the title and "ok" at the bottom...I've never pressed "ok", which means it's impossible to continue to browse as it a) prevents from closing it's page or navigating to any other page, and b) renders the back button useless. It's in both the samsung browser and chrome. I've a) de-cached, de-historied, b) factory reset the phone and c) flushed and reset the DNS on my router, as well as updating it's firmware. I'm on a Note7, and am about to receive a replacement in a few days (thank god)...but am worried that this is just going to continue with the new phone.

Would using Opera make any difference? Like..wtf...

Thx
    09-13-2016 02:30 PM
    Does it happen in Safe Mode as well? Also, do you know if the Samsung browser syncs history with Chrome? I'm assuming it doesn't, but just in case, I'd also open your Chrome desktop browser, and clear everything from the beginning of time.
    09-13-2016 02:50 PM
    Anyone having problems with this aggressive ad-loop redirect thing? It started a few days ago, from 'legit' sites as varied as Politico to TMZ - it basically takes over your browser with a pop-up asking to take to a site with an HTTP address with "banachpuritanamount" in the title and "ok" at the bottom...I've never pressed "ok", which means it's impossible to continue to browse as it a) prevents from closing it's page or navigating to any other page, and b) renders the back button useless. It's in both the samsung browser and chrome. I've a) de-cached, de-historied, b) factory reset the phone and c) flushed and reset the DNS on my router, as well as updating it's firmware. I'm on a Note7, and am about to receive a replacement in a few days (thank god)...but am worried that this is just going to continue with the new phone.

Would using Opera make any difference? Like..wtf...

Thx
    I might think back to any apps you installed around the same time this started happening. It sounds like you have some malware. If you install the same app, it will likely give you the same problem. Look into it and let us know if you figure it out.
    09-13-2016 02:51 PM
    ...... I'd also open your Chrome desktop browser, and clear everything from the beginning of time.
    Thx - I didn't think of this (I deleted everything else 'privacy' wise in my google account)....
    09-13-2016 04:39 PM
    I might think back to any apps you installed around the same time this started happening. It sounds like you have some malware. If you install the same app, it will likely give you the same problem. Look into it and let us know if you figure it out.
    Funny thing is, I've only installed a few reputable apps (ie., twitter, blackberry messenger, pinterest), and after I reset my phone, didn't allow either samsung cloud or google drive to restore..I installed from scratch. I've currently turned cookies off, and haven't had a re-occurrence for 3 hours...so here's to hoping.
    09-13-2016 04:42 PM
    Same problem for me, on a Nexus 5x, Chrome 52, when reading this site: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/activities/aerial-sports/why-are-so-many-base-jumpers-dying/
    09-14-2016 08:14 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! All I get on that site is an ad from Yeti.
    09-14-2016 10:02 AM
    Yep, I have the same problem on my Note3. I did not install any apps. Mine appeared when I was just browsing using Chrome. When eventually I hit the back button, I think it acted like the "ok" button on the pop-up because the phone vibrated and the program appeared to be doing something. I have since deleted files that appear new. It's only Chrome as I can use my other browser without a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-14-2016 03:48 PM
    Yep, I have the same problem on my Note3. I did not install any apps. Mine appeared when I was just browsing using Chrome. When eventually I hit the back button, I think it acted like the "ok" button on the pop-up because the phone vibrated and the program appeared to be doing something. I have since deleted files that appear new. It's only Chrome as I can use my other browser without a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Have you already cleared the Chrome app's cache and data, as well as the entire history and cookies on your desktop Chrome?
    09-14-2016 10:34 PM
    In the last half hour, and after checking other forums, I cleared the data - I had only cleared the cache previously. Then I did a restart. This has done the trick because although I appear to have lost Chrome, I can use the default browser that comes up when I press the Chrome icon. I expect I could get it back if I knew what the hell I was doing! Don't know where I would be without your help on Android Central :-)

09-15-2016 01:01 AM
    Thank you for the reminder about the desktop Chrome. I suppose that's because it syncs.

09-15-2016 01:04 AM
    Thank you for the reminder about the desktop Chrome. I suppose that's because it syncs.

Wait...google syncs your cookies between devices !?!...I thought it was just bookmarks, locale, usage, etc. - not actual cookies. What a terrible idea.
    09-15-2016 05:27 AM
    Wait...google syncs your cookies between devices !?!...I thought it was just bookmarks, locale, usage, etc. - not actual cookies. What a terrible idea.
    Don't ask me but I suppose there's no harm in protecting all possible sources from spyware. Nothing much to lose.

vespesian likes this.
    09-15-2016 05:49 AM
    Actually, it looks like cookies don't sync: https://productforums.google.com/for...me/DFTYPHDQaOY. I thought at first that they might, but now that I think about it, that wouldn't make sense.
    09-15-2016 11:36 AM
    What a relief...can imagine malware spreading like wildfire thru one's various devices
    blakcountrykiwi and B. Diddy like this.
    09-15-2016 01:13 PM
    I just found this thread googling for what seems to be same problem on iOS and thought it'd be useful to tell you guys, as it doesn't seem to be platform specific and knowing that could help you out. It's got me quite worried that there's some exploit going on as iOS isn't supposed to be vulnerable to this sort of thing.

Here's screenshots of what I'm seeing:

Banachpuritanamount browser hijack/redirect-img_3635.jpg
    Banachpuritanamount browser hijack/redirect-img_3636.jpg
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-16-2016 02:37 PM
    Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the input! Is that only happening for you within the Facebook app, or also on Safari or other browsers? It still looks like some kind of browser popup.
    09-16-2016 11:21 PM
    Banachpuritanamount browser hijack/redirect-img_2366.jpg
    Banachpuritanamount browser hijack/redirect-img_2367.jpg
    Another iPhone user here, this is what it looks like for me...

greets
    09-17-2016 07:58 PM
    I have the same problem since a few weeks. It can popup on any site I browse in Chrome. Malwarebytes and Avast Antivirus don't remove it (yet). I would love to see a solution posted here to get rid of this pesky ad pop-up...
    09-20-2016 02:01 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You've already cleared the cache/data for Chrome in Settings>App? Or cleared all browsing data by opening Chrome and tapping Menu>Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing Data?
    09-20-2016 05:03 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You've already cleared the cache/data for Chrome in Settings>App? Or cleared all browsing data by opening Chrome and tapping Menu>Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing Data?
    All I can say for sure is that Firefox for Android is safe from this. I have since made it a habit to surf to Politico from Firefox, and just keep continuing using Chrome for everything else. A more permanent sollution is of course welcome.

Clearing cache, data and browsing data did not help for me. Could be a synchronisation thing still, but I'm not hoping for it. I'll let you know if clearing all saved Chrome data from my PC and Google account does do the trick.
    09-20-2016 06:35 PM
    Try out WARP BROWSER. It block all the adv and trackers.
    11-25-2016 04:05 AM