SIM hacked/infected - reflashing does not remove it

Forsaken737

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello AC.
Over the last three months, my phone has been regularly sending SMS's to a number in Singapore. Of course this is not something I have had anything to do with.
I have an LG G3 (D855) phone running Android 6.0_EU. My phone has been rebooting itself numerous times a day with the message that the SIM card was removed. It starts back up and usually works without a hitch. Checking my carriers log, I see that every reboot correlates to a sent text to Singapore at the exact time the phone was booting up again.
There is absolutely no evidence as far as I can tell that these messages are sent from my phone.
As I only just recently discovered this, I started investigating. I flashed my phone with a 6.0 KDZ from a thread on this forum, but it still rebooted afterwards and sends texts. I placed my SIM into my wifes D855, and it started experiencing the same issue. When we placed her SIM back into her phone, we could see that her phone number had ALSO started sending texts to Singapore.
We flashed her phone, put in a completely fresh SIM with an unused phone number, and that number started sending texts as well.
This leads me to thinking that there was a virus or malware on my own SIM and phone which then was tranferred to my wifes phone via my SIM and then from her phone onto the fresh SIM.

My question is this:
Has anyone ever heard of a malware/virus capable of replicating itself in such a degree that it exists on SIM cards and on the phone while it survives reflashing a stock ROM?
Also, is there any way to competely, and i mean completely wipe a phone so a bootkit is removed as well?

I hope there are some wise heads out there who has any idea regarding this.
According to Google there aren't really an precidences of what we are experiencing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'd also consider asking your carrier for new SIMs, then doing a complete wipe of the two phones before inserting the SIMs.

Bmw82bds

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello AC.
Over the last three months, my phone has been regularly sending SMS's to a number in Singapore. Of course this is not something I have had anything to do with.
I have an LG G3 (D855) phone running Android 6.0_EU. My phone has been rebooting itself numerous times a day with the message that the SIM card was removed. It starts back up and usually works without a hitch. Checking my carriers log, I see that every reboot correlates to a sent text to Singapore at the exact time the phone was booting up again.
There is absolutely no evidence as far as I can tell that these messages are sent from my phone.
As I only just recently discovered this, I started investigating. I flashed my phone with a 6.0 KDZ from a thread on this forum, but it still rebooted afterwards and sends texts. I placed my SIM into my wifes D855, and it started experiencing the same issue. When we placed her SIM back into her phone, we could see that her phone number had ALSO started sending texts to Singapore.
We flashed her phone, put in a completely fresh SIM with an unused phone number, and that number started sending texts as well.
This leads me to thinking that there was a virus or malware on my own SIM and phone which then was tranferred to my wifes phone via my SIM and then from her phone onto the fresh SIM.

My question is this:
Has anyone ever heard of a malware/virus capable of replicating itself in such a degree that it exists on SIM cards and on the phone while it survives reflashing a stock ROM?
Also, is there any way to competely, and i mean completely wipe a phone so a bootkit is removed as well?

I hope there are some wise heads out there who has any idea regarding this.
According to Google there aren't really an precidences of what we are experiencing.

Omg....I know PRECISELY what ur going through...I've had 4 yrs and STILL. going through crap, tried all I can think of...whether its Sim related or Wifi breaching, I've certainly had ur exact scenario and to get help on this type of hack or breaching is so down played and never seems to b an answer to find out who how or why AND THEN HOW TO PREVENT IT ALL from the backed forward so ur tightened up tight so no one squeezes in again! So frustrating! And when remotely being jacked with, it really tries ur patience! As u watch and enduee, tried all things u can think of, read thousands of articles and tried to learn all about it in an attempt to finally get it nipped in the butt and then deal with the found info...and never happens in no answers or people playing down phone, Wifi and google hacking all the time, leaves one taken for and helplessly just DEALING THE DREARY DOWNS in being watched or controlled 24/7! May u find ur answers my friend....I feel for u!!! I factually feel for ya! Frustrating!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Omg....I know PRECISELY what ur going through...I've had 4 yrs and STILL. going through crap, tried all I can think of...whether its Sim related or Wifi breaching, I've certainly had ur exact scenario and to get help on this type of hack or breaching is so down played and never seems to b an answer to find out who how or why AND THEN HOW TO PREVENT IT ALL from the backed forward so ur tightened up tight so no one squeezes in again! So frustrating! And when remotely being jacked with, it really tries ur patience! As u watch and enduee, tried all things u can think of, read thousands of articles and tried to learn all about it in an attempt to finally get it nipped in the butt and then deal with the found info...and never happens in no answers or people playing down phone, Wifi and google hacking all the time, leaves one taken for and helplessly just DEALING THE DREARY DOWNS in being watched or controlled 24/7! May u find ur answers my friend....I feel for u!!! I factually feel for ya! Frustrating!!!!
That surely explains why they posted the question and then never returned to answer clarifying questions or to discuss possible remedies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol