SOME ANDROID PHONES Come preloaded with malware

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ew, Forbes.:p'

It would've been nice if the author mentioned some examples of manufacturers. I'd bet the farm that most are obscure direct-from-China brands.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

It would've been nice if the author mentioned some examples of manufacturers. I'd bet the farm that most are obscure direct-from-China brands.
I like to know why Google not releasing the list ? Scared to hurt a manufacturer maybe?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

You'd likely win a farm.

The risk impacts Android's Open-Source Project (AOSP), a lower-cost alternative to the full-fat version. AOSP is installed on lower-cost smartphones where cheaper software alternatives help keep prices down. This means owners of Android-badged devices from the likes of Samsung and Google itself are safe from this particular risk.

We've also seen this happen with users on here, and always from those no name knockoff brands. Then there's this...

Google is working to help device manufacturers screen for such vulnerabilities...

Google may be trying with some success, but how else are these manufacturers going to make money on their dirt cheap phones? I suspect they have no real desire to fix their problems.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I like to know why Google not releasing the list ? Scared to hurt a manufacturer maybe?

Maybe because it doesn't affect major markets where people have devices from well-established and reasonably conscientious manufacturers. The list might also be unreasonably long (since there are plenty of terrible shady phone "brands" coming from parts unknown), but from a practical standpoint, the actual prevalence of the phones in the population is probably quite small.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Maybe because it doesn't affect major markets where people have devices from well-established and reasonably conscientious manufacturers. The list might also be unreasonably long (since there are plenty of terrible shady phone "brands" coming from parts unknown), but from a practical standpoint, the actual prevalence of the phones in the population is probably quite small.
Good point .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You'd likely win a farm.

We've also seen this happen with users on here, and always from those no name knockoff brands. Then there's this...

Google may be trying with some success, but how else are these manufacturers going to make money on their dirt cheap phones? I suspect they have no real desire to fix their problems.
Good point also .

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying that there are not phones with this problem, but I put about as much trust in Forbes as I do The National Inquirer. Their writers are among the worst in the tech industry.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying that there are not phones with this problem, but I put about as much trust in Forbes as I do The National Inquirer. Their writers are among the worst in the tech industry.

Agreed.

YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHY I AGREE click HERE to know why.:p

(Sorry, was trying to surreptitiously add a Rickroll link, but it automatically shows the video in the post, which kinda spoils the clickbaiting.:'()

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Here's a good article from my favorite tech journalist JR Raphael that should make us all a little less anxious: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3411440/android-security-scares.html

That is now one of my favourite articles XD. Couldn’t agree more with what he wrote. Makes sense as well, all those security companies making a big deal out of it and reminding us that only their software can protect against it.

Apple also capitalises on it a lot with their ‘privacy’ ads. There’s some truth to it, but it’s mostly exaggerated. You only have to join a thread on iMore forums debating a switch to Android from Apple to see how some people have completely swallowed these exaggerated marketing ads.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
As long as you buy an Android phone from major companies like Samsung, Huawei, OnePlus, Sony etc it shouldn’t come preloaded with malware.

Which reminds me, Samsung devices come with Device Maintenance security powered by McAfee and Samsung Knox. Are those 2 separate or are they the same system by both companies?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As long as you buy an Android phone from major companies like Samsung, Huawei, OnePlus, Sony etc it shouldn’t come preloaded with malware.

Which reminds me, Samsung devices come with Device Maintenance security powered by McAfee and Samsung Knox. Are those 2 separate or are they the same system by both companies?
I would think 2 separate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos