AC Sideload Wonder Machine for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine 1.1

[note]This version is no longer officially supported.

Point your browser to http://forum.androidcentral.com/and...-central-sideload-wonder-machine-v-1-2-a.html and get the new version.

unstickied, and will be closed soon.[/note]

The Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine (SWM) was designed to allow you to sideload applications to your Android device, without the need to install the Android SDK, or to use cumbersome command prompt commands. While specifically designed for phones where the ability to install from "Unknown Sources" has been disabled, this program will work with any Android device.

What is 'sideloading'?

Sideloading refers to the practice of installing applications on your Android device that have not been downloaded from the official Android Market. Android developers may choose to have their application hosted elsewhere, and via a direct download and sideloading the applications can be used like any other application you have downloaded from the official Market. Normally, this can be done directly on the device, but this has been disabled on some Android phones.

Sideload Wonder Machine 1.1 public beta
20fc19s.png

1. This has not been publicly tested, so it gets the BETA tag. It has been through a good bit of private testing, and it's time to put it out there for bug reports. The download is attached to the bottom of this post. The source will follow once I'm satisfied the BETA isn't broken.

2. You will still need to install the Microsoft .NET 4 framework. You can find a direct download from Microsoft right here.

3. To install version 1.1 of the SWM, you need to place the AC_SWM folder that is inside the zip file you downloaded on your C:\ drive. Don't place it in any subfolder. Don't remove any files or folders from the AC_SWM folder. Doing it this way (manually copying the folder) keeps us from having to write to the Windows registry. Nobody wants to do that.

• Open the downloaded zip file with your favorite zip file utility. Or just use Windows and double click it.
  • In a separate window, open My Computer and navigate to your C:\ drive. If you don't have a C:\ drive, you already know what you're doing and will need to create one.
  • Drag the AC_SWM folder from the zip file into your C:\ drive.
2dlotp4.jpg

Inside the AC_SWM folder is the program itself. LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS. You can create a shortcut to the application anywhere you like, but the program itself needs to stay put.

You will also need to install the adb USB driver for your phone. You can find this at the manufacturers site. The application will not, and can not function without this. Refer to your device specific forum for help if needed.

You will need to enable USB debugging to use the SWM. On your phone:
menu->settings->Applications->Development . Check the box that says USB Debugging.

To use the SWM:
  • Connect your phone to your computer.
  • Make sure your phone is not set to act as a USB device.
  • Make sure your phone is not set to act as a USB modem.
  • Make sure any applications or windows that open and run when you plug your phone in are disabled. This includes doubleTwist and WinAmp, as well as device or carrier specific programs.
  • Open the Sideload Wonder Machine program on your computer.
  • Use the "Choose APK" button to find the .apk file of the application you want to install. It's a standard windows dialog. Just select it and choose "open".
  • You'll see a popup that tells you exactly what file is being prepared to be installed. If this is correct, click OK in that window.
  • Press the "Install" button to install the application to your phone. If you are upgrading an app that already exists, be sure to check the box to let the program know.
  • A window will open. Read what the window says. If there is no error message, everything went as planned and your application is now installed.

If there is an error, while your phone is plugged in open the diagnostics window via the "Diagnostics" button. Run both diagnostic tools. Read the output of them, and look for the error. If you are unable to resolve the error, please provide a screenshot of both diagnostic windows for better help.

Download as an attachment below --
source10.zip is the source code of the latest stable version.
AC_SWMv1.1_10_30BETA.zip is the application folder

Last edited by a moderator:

paolibulldog

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it seems to be an issue for Samsung Captivates. I got around it by navigating over to to the directory where SWM is installed, from within the DOS box, and running "loader.bat" from there.

Reactions: ddvirts

Shacho

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
SWM

Any suggestions? I followed the instructions as stated and and I did not receive an error message, actually, it stated "successful install". I unplug and went back to settings>applications and the "unknown sources" was not listed.

I am using the Captivate galaxy S 2.1 (rooted)

-dos is now stating Insufficient Storage.

Last edited:

dsawyer811

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Phone Offline

When I tried it I also had the issue with the Loader.bat file not being found. So , I tried navigating to the folder where Loader file is located and after running Loader manually, it won't get past the my phone being listed as offline.

My phone is successfully connected to the computer, so why does SWM think my phone is offline?

Thanks

jjob

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I also have a captivate, but am having a little different issue. It starts by saying daemon not running and then successfully starts it. It then says List of devices attached and does not show it. It tells me to make sure that USB debugging is enabled (it is) and to make sure my USB driver is installed. I think it is, but how do I check? I know that I can look at the phone from my computer and mover files to and from it.

It gives me error:device not found.

alxajlouny

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
hi guys

when i try to click AndroidCentral-SWM appllication it gives me this message saying i need the appropriate .NET framework. What is this and how can i get around it? thanks.

Reactions: redwingsfreak7

alxajlouny

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I get that .NET framework error also, looking to get Angry Birds. HELP
hi draggin man.

i figured it out.what you have to do is download the .net framework 4 from here: .NET Framework: Download
dont worry its from microsoft and virus. once you download it just run it and it should give you a few prompts.just go through the works and the sideloader will then work. you're free to download whatever apps you want =)

Reactions: primalmatter

mayfool

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to download the zip files for sideload and it only downloads 50.68kb anyone know how I can get the whole swm file thanks

one028

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
how do you remove programs off the phone...i have a captivate and installed a football live apk that doesnt work...now i cant figure out how to uninstall

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
how do you remove programs off the phone...i have a captivate and installed a football live apk that doesnt work...now i cant figure out how to uninstall

There's no easy way to uninstall apps from your phone via the computer, because the applications name is not the same as it's file name in the system. On your phone:

menu>settings>applications>manage applications>

Find it in the list, select it, and choose uninstall.

Waiting to hear back from a few last minute testers, expect a new, and IMO much better version of the Sideload Wonder Machine soon.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Sideload Wonder Machine 1.1 public beta
20fc19s.png

1. This has not been publicly tested, so it gets the BETA tag. It has been through a good bit of private testing, and it's time to put it out there for bug reports. The download is attached to the bottom of this post. The source will follow once I'm satisfied the BETA isn't broken.

2. You will still need to install the Microsoft .NET 4 framework. You can find a direct download from Microsoft right here.

3. To install version 1.1 of the SWM, you need to place the AC_SWM folder that is inside the zip file you downloaded on your C:\ drive. Don't place it in any subfolder. Don't remove any files or folders from the AC_SWM folder. Doing it this way (manually copying the folder) keeps us from having to write to the Windows registry. Nobody wants to do that.

• Open the downloaded zip file with your favorite zip file utility. Or just use Windows and double click it.
  • In a separate window, open My Computer and navigate to your C:\ drive. If you don't have a C:\ drive, you already know what you're doing and will need to create one.
  • Drag the AC_SWM folder from the zip file into your C:\ drive.
2dlotp4.jpg

Inside the AC_SWM folder is the program itself. LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS. You can create a shortcut to the application anywhere you like, but the program itself needs to stay put.

You will also need to install the adb USB driver for your phone. You can find this at the manufacturers site. The application will not, and can not function without this. Refer to your device specific forum for help if needed.

You will need to enable USB debugging to use the SWM. On your phone:
menu->settings->Applications->Development . Check the box that says USB Debugging.

To use the SWM:
  • Connect your phone to your computer.
  • Make sure your phone is not set to act as a USB device.
  • Make sure your phone is not set to act as a USB modem.
  • Make sure any applications or windows that open and run when you plug your phone in are disabled. This includes doubleTwist and WinAmp, as well as device or carrier specific programs.
  • Open the Sideload Wonder Machine program on your computer.
  • Use the "Choose APK" button to find the .apk file of the application you want to install. It's a standard windows dialog. Just select it and choose "open".
  • You'll see a popup that tells you exactly what file is being prepared to be installed. If this is correct, click OK in that window.
  • Press the "Install" button to install the application to your phone. If you are upgrading an app that already exists, be sure to check the box to let the program know.
  • A window will open. Read what the window says. If there is no error message, everything went as planned and your application is now installed.

If there is an error, while your phone is plugged in open the diagnostics window via the "Diagnostics" button. Run both diagnostic tools. Read the output of them, and look for the error. If you are unable to resolve the error, please provide a screenshot of both diagnostic windows for better help.

Direct Download link

Download as an attachment below.

Last edited:

bonejj

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
using the beta:

i'm getting an error about " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
I get the same message when I try to check the USB status as well.
I'm on the galaxy S 2.1 update 1

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
using the beta:

i'm getting an error about " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Shoot me an email. jerry.hildenbrand[at]androidcentral.com

I need to know:
what version of Windows you're running
The output of the file path diagnostics tool
If you've ever tried to install the Android SDK
what the command prompt returns when you type
Code:
C:\AC_SWM\adb.exe
and hit enter.

We'll get it sorted.

kenzak

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
using the beta:

Same thing on my XP machine and Galaxy S. What I did was edit the batch files and changed "adb" to "C:\AC_SWM\adb.exe". Everything worked fine after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE