Apparently TODAY, you can download the pay version of Rovio's Angry Birds FREE from the Amazon Appstore! No more ads makes a girl happy.

Exciting, right?

So I did some homework, downloaded the awesome Sideloader Wonder Machine. Then I used it to sideload the Amazon app for downloading too. Here's where I lost the trail....when I use the Amazon app to dl the game, I get the same message saying I can't download from third party apps. Am I missing a step somewhere? Has anyone tried this yet?

Amy
    03-22-2011 03:37 PM
    I Can't remember where i found this but it worked for me
    There is an add in for rootexplorer like for fire fox but stays on the phone
    you may have to sideload the addin not sure.

""That setting is not in the At&t Captivate because they restrict the Non market apps. Now what I did for my Captivate is similar to what the Uncripple Guide here that Matboud linked to except, after I rooted my phone, I found Root Explorer apk, used Droid explorer to install it *similar to the Side Load Wonder Machine*. After installation, I ran Root Explorer, went into /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings and copied settings.db over to my internal storage. Then I downloaded SQLiteManager addon for firefox and altered the Install Non Market Apps from 0 to 1. Saved it and copied it back into /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings overwriting the original one. Rebooted my phone and went to find a game apk *slideme.org* and tested it. Installed fine with no errors.. I understand att does not want any issues with non market apps but they should have allowed it from the beginning..""
    03-22-2011 04:39 PM
    Just downloaded Angrybirds rio, installed without a hitch
    03-22-2011 04:41 PM
    Are you using an ATT phone??
    03-22-2011 05:47 PM
    Same dilemma, JustAmy... Sideloader is very slick, and I did get the Amazon App Store on my AT&T Captivate. I just couldn't get past that...

I don't want to root my phone, so Sideloader seemed like the answer. It would be cool if Amazon provided the APK files to store on the computer, then they could be easily 'sideloaded'!

Any workarounds, or just wait it out?
    03-23-2011 12:28 AM
    OK... Good news and bad news. Good news is there is a way to get the APK files to the phone. Bad news is that Angry Birds Rio is too big of a file to do this way!

I downloaded Easy Installer from Android Market. This will allow you to see the APK files for these 'non-functional' apps. When you tap and hold a file listed, it gives you the option to send it via e-mail as an attachment. Opened the e-mail on the desktop... Save to computer, and use the Sideloader to load it on the phone. I tested it with the Amazon MP3 Store app. It was small enough to send, and it's working fine. When I first downloaded it on my phone, it gave me that 'third-party app' warning.

I'll have to try it with a couple of other smaller apps...

Never know how long of a wait it will be with AT&T to get with the program!
    SCNovice likes this.
    03-23-2011 03:02 AM
    I found this post... the Angry birds Rio APK is located here.
    (sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache)
    i just down loaded from the store and installed it
    03-23-2011 07:27 AM
    Yes i'm on a Cappy i also down loaded to my nook color running gingerbread on emmc . It lookes better bigger
    03-23-2011 07:29 AM
    I got it running as well. if you don't want to email to yourself on the PC, simply connect your phone to PC. Find the "com.amazon.venzia" folder. The app is there (called vnz59877.apk)
    03-23-2011 07:54 AM
    Thanks Admiral! I'll try that when I get off work...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    03-23-2011 12:01 PM
    OK... Good news and bad news. Good news is there is a way to get the APK files to the phone. Bad news is that Angry Birds Rio is too big of a file to do this way!

I downloaded Easy Installer from Android Market. This will allow you to see the APK files for these 'non-functional' apps. When you tap and hold a file listed, it gives you the option to send it via e-mail as an attachment. Opened the e-mail on the desktop... Save to computer, and use the Sideloader to load it on the phone. I tested it with the Amazon MP3 Store app. It was small enough to send, and it's working fine. When I first downloaded it on my phone, it gave me that 'third-party app' warning.

I'll have to try it with a couple of other smaller apps...

Never know how long of a wait it will be with AT&T to get with the program!
    Thanks caretaker for recommending to download Easy Installer! After side-loading the Amazon App Store using Android Sideload Wonder Machine and failing to install Angry Birds Rio from store (however it did successfully download the apk onto my phone), I downloaded Easy Installer and had the app search for all 3rd party apps. Once I saw Angry Birds Rio, I tapped and held the file until I saw a list of options. I selected "send" and used my Gmail account to send the apk file to another email account (i.e. yahoo or another gmail account). Just as caretaker described, this file is big, about 13 MB, however, Gmail was able to send it! This may take about 2-3 mins to send, but it worked! I've also tried using my yahoo account to send but it failed.

Once you downloaded and saved the file using your PC, go back and use the Android Sideload Wonder Machine to download the apk file to your phone. It's as simple as that! Good luck!
    03-23-2011 03:05 PM
    Your welcome, SC! Glad it worked... Actually, Admiral and Gargaroth (sorry if I spelled that wrong, I can't reference it as I'm typing!) are absolutely correct. The APK files are already on the phone, right where they said it was intheir previous posts.

With my phone hooked up to my computer, I used Windows Explorer to transfer the APK files into the Sideloader folder on my computer... Then 'sideloaded' the APK files back to the phone. That's it!

I now have successfully transferred a few apps this way!

03-24-2011 12:58 AM
    ...Asaroth... My bad! I knew it was 'something'-roth! Thanks again for the tip.

03-24-2011 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD