Best video settings for Tivo Stream 4K on an RCA 4k TV?

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
so...just inherited the family rca 4K tv as part of my move to a new residence(we all moved out at the same time) and I decided to fap around with google play movies and tv, then amazon prime video and lastly apple tv.

I tested with ironman 1(4k uhd) and battleship(upgraded to 4k on google play movies and tv)
now, it looks nice, sharp, crisp...like I'm watching a 1080p hd movie.

so I went into the video settings and set it all the way to the top, which is 3840x2160 and the refresh is 30(I think) on the tivo.

so..what am I doing wrong? cause I was under the impression things should look ALOT nicer in 4k, I mean I'm not expecting apple box like looks but...its a tad bit of a let down.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How big is the TV? I have a 49" 4K TV, and I think that size is not big enough to really appreciate any improvement over 1080p. You probably need at least 60" for the difference to be really obvious.

Also, keep in mind that the really nice images will be from the higher end manufacturers like LG and Samsung. My TV is Toshiba, and the display quality ain't great.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
55 inch..my sister has the same size and its both a samsung and it has an apple tv box.

I'm honestly wondering if there's some setting or tweak I can make to get it to at least be a LITTLE smoother in the framerate dept...

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
of the tivo or the rca?

the RCA: RTU5540-c
the tivo stream 4k: IPA1104HDW 01 400 09T TIVO

yes that INSANELY long string of numbers and letters really is the tivo's model number.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see anything obvious in the TV's manual.

You're connecting the TIVO directly to the TV's HDMI, and not through an AV receiver, right?

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
right in hdmi port 1(and for the record..I'm SO happy this thing has 4 hdmi ports ^^)

so now I'm wondering if theres something in the tivo's settings that can be changed(aside from turning off dolby vision..which disables HDR entirely..cant switch it back on without factory reset)

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
so it could just be the exemplars I chose to test with....lemme go into the living room after I touch off this android 11 update to my galaxy tab ^^

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I just watched that vid on the rca...gimme some napkins, got a bit o drool goin...

went and hunted down a 2 week old space x launch...screw napkins..gimme a bleeping bib!

its the content..not the apps. good god did that rocket launch leave me feeling wind swept!

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
with some of my paid content..

getting ALOT of frame skipping on google play movies and tv, some on apple tv and amazon prime..maybe the odd skip here and there on youtube.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are a lot of devices connected to the network in your house? If so, you might want to look in the router settings to see if you can prioritize the Tivo device.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
my sister's old place which I'm renting now, she's paying for the internet, so new internet speed plan AND access point(router/wifi/modem combo).

so, entirely new network.

I was watching avengers the other day on the disney+ app and I know for a fact how nice that can look on a 4k tv(reach out and count the wrinkles on Robert Downey Jr's face nice)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So you mean that Avengers on your current TV doesn't look as nice as on other TVs? It still may have to do with the quality of the TV display, since that can vary pretty widely among manufacturers.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I went and checked out that costa rica video...on youtube no less, which is notorious for auto adjusting the quality down into garbage territory if left to its own devices.

so the tivo/tv are capable of damn good 4k.

maybe its the app I'm using?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it Disney+? Are there other 4K streaming apps you can test, like Google TV (aka Google Play Movies) or Vudu?