My new android catchup box has android 6.1, will it be supported by app in far future.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

It has 8 core processor
2gb ram
It's a minix neo U9H box.
Its running android 6.1
Will spec mean it will support future apks or will the OS stop apk support one day soon?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An apk is an installation package for an app (it's actually just a zip file with a different extension - any zip file manager will open it - but not install it, only the package manager will). All versions of Android will always continue to support apks. Whether an apk is written that needs APIs not in 8.0 is asking for a prediction of the future, no one can do that.

But if you're talking about an Android TV box, you should probably be running Kodi to watch TV, movies, etc., so all you need to worry about is whether the box will support Kodi. And as of 18 Leia, it's supported by Android 7 (and probably, but since I haven't tried it, I can't say for certain, even earlier versions). Kodi isn't anything that takes advantage of the latest code in the latest version, it's like a horse-drawn wagon - a fantastic idea when it was invented, but basically unchanged for centuries. (It also runs on Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux ... and maybe other operating systems.)

Yussaf Malik

Jan 22, 2019
Visit site
I asked question and phrased it wrong. What I meant to say is will I have the problem that new android apps wont work with android 6.1 as they consider it no longer supported.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084