Casting apps to Sony TV

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Sony KD55X8000G Android TV and have problem casting from my Android phone (Redmi Note 5 with Pie). I can cast the YouTube apps, Poweramp, RocketPlayer, Google Photos and some streaming apps without much problem. But I cannot cast Chrome or the Google Maps app. Oddly enough I can cast from YouTube page inside Chrome.

However using my Macbook Pro I can cast from both Google Maps and Chrome browser.

Any advice appreciated.

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

All devices - laptop,phone and TV -are connected to the same network.

On my Macbook Pro I am casting from the menu in Chrome. There is simply an option "Cast" and I tap on that and an icon appears in the status bar. As this command only appears in Chrome and the apps accessed via Chrome I presume this uses Chromecast.

On my Redmi the cast icon appears in the app (Poweramp, Rocketplayer etc) but I had to enable settings in each app. The settings in the music apps specified Chromecast. In the Maps app and in the Chrome browser there is no casting icon.

For YouTube (both laptop and phone) - I went into YouTube on my laptop then Settings/Watch on TV and then launched YouTube on the TV obtain a "Link with TV" code and enter it on my device.

YouTube Music and Google Photos did not seem to require any fiddling.

Also I had set up my Redmi in the TV's Wifi Direct setting (there is also an "Unsupported Device" which may be my Macbook Pro). I am not sure if this relevant.

I hope this helps clarify things.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try installing the Google Home app on the phone and see if it identifies the TV as a Chromecast device.

Also, in the system settings of the phone, search for "Cast Screen." If it has that option, what happens if you tap that? Does it mirror the screen to the TV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair