Android Wear iOS compatibility

eprisencc

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Android wear should be compatible with iOS. Google is a software company and cares about getting their product in the most hands possible. Leaving iOS out defeats this purpose. Google glass supports iOS and so should Android Wear. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5 and my Samsung gear live is useless when I'm using my iPhone. Even if it's only minimal support (ie Google Now but no extra app tie ins) that would be better than no support at all. Pebble is able to support Android and iOS, so should Android wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Android wear should be compatible with iOS. Google is a software company and cares about getting their product in the most hands possible. Leaving iOS out defeats this purpose. Google glass supports iOS and so should Android Wear. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5 and my Samsung gear live is useless when I'm using my iPhone. Even if it's only minimal support (ie Google Now but no extra app tie ins) that would be better than no support at all. Pebble is able to support Android and iOS, so should Android wear.

Get back to us when the iwatch runs on Android.

eprisencc

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Get back to us when the iwatch runs on Android.

That's not the point. FaceTime is not supported by Android but hangouts is cross platform. Google glass and Chromecast is cross platform while Apple TV is not. Apple will never make their products cross platform but Google is software/advertising company first. Android wear should be cross platform.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple will never make their products cross platform but Google is software/advertising company first. Android wear should be cross platform.

What good does posting this here do? If you don't like Android Wear being single-platform, contact Google and let them know your opinion.

I seriously doubt, however, that you'll ever seen "Android" Wear on iOS, or any other platform for that matter.

eprisencc

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
What good does posting this here do? If you don't like Android Wear being single-platform, contact Google and let them know your opinion.

I seriously doubt, however, that you'll ever seen "Android" Wear on iOS, or any other platform for that matter.

I've contacted Google about the issue, however, I thought this is a forum where you can discuss issues with technology.

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Apples and oranges here. Why would Google make a product compatible with it's direct competition? It makes no sense at all.

... Because "Pebble" did it? Yes Pebble did do it, the same as Seidio or Spigen making cases for all phones, or Plantronics making bluetooth headsets, or Bodyguardz making screen protectors. A 3rd party company doesn't care who buys their products as long as someone does.

A new case from Seidio will not make a person leave iPhone for Android, but a well made smartwatch might.

eprisencc

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Apples and oranges here. Why would Google make a product compatible with it's direct competition? It makes no sense at all.

... Because "Pebble" did it? Yes Pebble did do it, the same as Seidio or Spigen making cases for all phones, or Plantronics making bluetooth headsets, or Bodyguardz making screen protectors. A 3rd party company doesn't care who buys their products as long as someone does.

A new case from Seidio will not make a person leave iPhone for Android, but a well made smartwatch might.

Google makes products for its direct competition all the time: Google Voice, Hangouts, Gmail, Chrome, Google Drive, Google Maps, Google Play Music, Google Play Books, Google Wallet, Chromecast, Android TV, and Google Glasses to name a few.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've contacted Google about the issue, however, I thought this is a forum where you can discuss issues with technology.

You aren't "discussing". Obviously people here disagree with you, but you're just arguing that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Further, Android Wear is very tightly bound with Android and Play Services. Since Apple doesn't provide the same integration API with their devices, it's highly unlikely you'd ever see the same level of integration between Android Wear and iOS, if it were even possible.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a tough call for Google on whether they would want to have it work with iOS or not. Above all else, Google wants people to use them for search, and to use that to sell ad space. Their #2 income source is now the Google Play store. They're not going to be able to enhance #2 on iOS, but they can & do get people to use them for search in various ways on iOS. Wear doesn't have ads on it (currently), but it does feed info into search, which is pretty huge for them. That could be a pretty big motive to have it be cross-compatible.

As aokusman mentioned, though, there may very well be too many things that Wear leans on Android on the phone for to be able to make it cross-compatible anytime soon.