Moto 360 or Gear Live?

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Basically I have a Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch however I've been looking at the Moto 360 as I just love wearables and Google Now I am definitely getting one very soon as I've just invested £1000 spare cash from a grandparent. And I was already about to buy anyway so I have a Note3 and I like the Galaxy Gear however S-Voice is atrocious and I love Google Now and the idea of me saying 'Okay Google, what's the Man Utd score? And it answering with the card astonishes me! I like the card UI a lot and I think I'd enjoy Android Wear a lot! But my decision is I love the beauty of the Moto360 and the watch faces are amazing however are there any major flaws? I hear the Gear Live has a way better screen but which one would you go for? I'm running 4.3 JellyBean. Sorry for any mistakes I'm only 14.

From an avid Android user.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Alf,
Having tried both, here are my impressions:
Gear Live. Sturdier, better screen (but only just, see below), seems a bit faster at times, MUCH better battery life, squared screen makes good use of screen real estate. But it also feels heavier, is squared (yeah, I'm listing that as a pro and a con), the wristbands hurt my wrists because they're too stiff and weirdly angled, and outdoor visibility is not great. Also, no ambient light sensor.

Moto360. Round screen makes it sexy as eff..., lighter, slightly worse screen (you can only tell from up close; in real life you won't notice that much), sexier, seems to respond better to commands but a bit laggier at times, great outdoor visibility, sexy, POOR battery life (yes, it improved with the last update, but with normal use you'll be getting a day out of it at most; 20 hours in my case. Heavy use? Get ready to recharge once or twice a day), and as a con that's also a pro, the round face: yes, it's sexier, but it cuts out from the real estate, so you feel you're missing stuff with some apps and notifications. Did I mention this thing is sexy? Well, it's sexy.

I went for the 360 in the end, even with the battery life.

anon(8410015)

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the 360 and had the G Watch, 360 is nicer and I love it apart from the dirt and dust that gathers between glass and metal casing.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have also had both the Gear Live and the 360 and most of the points that SpookDroid made are spot on. However he did omit a couple of points that I have also noticed. The charger for the Gear Live is abysmal. It is a little proprietary clip on thing that costs $20 and it feels like it is not a question of, whether or not it is going to break, just when. Also due to the design of the band on the gear live it is prone to accidently being knocked off of your wrist. It happened to me a couple times. And while you can change the band on the gear live, aftermarket watch bands don't look very good on it due to the way it is designed.

And of course where the Gear Live looks like a tiny phone strapped to your wrist, the 360 actually looks (and feels) like a very nice watch.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Gear 1 no longer gives full gmail notifications. It tells me I have a gmail from x but no body or even preview of contents.

Can I read full gmail message on moto 360? Does moto 360 work on Samsung Note 3? Can I continue to use gear 1 one day and moto 360 another?

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can read full email messages on the 360. When you first recieve an email notification when you swipe it up onto the screen it will give you a preview of the message text. Then if you tap it it will expand to the full message.

Yes the Moto 360 will work with your Note 3.

I don't know if you can use both the Gear 1 and the 360 at the same time... although I don't see why not.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I read several posts claiming only gmail is fully visible and other types of email are only a preview?

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Well with the updated Gmail 5.0 you can just use it for all your email. Inbox works though, oh and yes you can use both watches at the same time.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When gmail 5 is in playstore and that is confirmed it will be of some value. Right now, like phone and data simultaneous use in moto turbo, it's just talk. I would prefer a moto update allowing the watch to view all types of email.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it pushed to play store yet? I don't think it is a moto 360 problem though, more on the other apps.

Btw I tried nine for my exchange account. I could read fine, just no voice response.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad