Default Messaging App Questions

cbyrne24

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I currently have an updated Sony SW3. I'm loving it so far after 1 day and we'll see how AW progresses going forward. There are two things that are bugging me about the default Android messaging app on AW.

1 - When opening the new text on my watch, the messages default to the oldest message and then you have to scroll to the bottom to see the newest message in the string. Is there a way to get it to default to the bottom, like when you open it on the phone?

2 - After opening the message on the watch, the notification on the phone goes away but the Count Bubble on the Message app stays there for a new message. Any way to get this to go away?

I appreciate any help or responses to this!

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1) That's not Wear's fault, it's the app developer. My Samsung stock messaging app does the same annoying thing, but if you use a different app, like Hangouts or Google Messenger for SMS, that problem goes away.

2)Again, not Wear's fault as the developer for the messaging app is not implementing the API all that well. In this case, it dismisses the notification because that's the way the system handles it, but read/unread status is handled by each app.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
2 - After opening the message on the watch, the notification on the phone goes away but the Count Bubble on the Message app stays there for a new message. Any way to get this to go away?

Depending on what messaging app you are using, you may have an option to swipe left on the watch for a "Read" option to mark the message as read.

[edit]: To be clear, there is a logical reason this happens. You have only really read the notification, not the message in the app (although in the case of a text, these are probably the same thing).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP is doing that, reading the whole message, since the notification doesn't default to the oldest message, but the Read 'window' does. If the app doesn't 'read' that read status, then it would only have dismissed the notification, not the unread counter.

cbyrne24

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

It is a Samsung Galaxy S4 I'm using, so that's likely the reason for problem 1 as stated by SpookDroid. When pulling up the notification on the watch, you pull up the message, then swipe right to the whole conversation as you would if you were selecting just that message string from the default messaging app. So yeah, it must be a fault of the stock messaging app. Not much to be done about that I guess!

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Just a reiteration here, but spook droid is spot on! If you switch to Google Hangouts or even Google messenger, your texts will function as you wish. Even on a Samsung device, You can change the default messaging app or any other default app for that matter :) .

Best of luck!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And as an added bonus, if you're on T-Mobile and you go in a flight with GoGo, you get free texting on the plane, right? Well, should you switch your default SMS app to Hangouts, guess what? It somehow makes Hangouts messages (not texts, actual IM messages from Hangouts) to go through as well! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis