IP67 & "Normal" splashes/use

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys, first off I'm new around here from the Windows Central forums so sorry if I'm a bit noobish :p just wondering if anyone has any experiences with the Android Wear watches that are IP67 rated over a year? Of course I wouldn't go swimming with it, but I'm just wondering how the watch(es) have held up over time with splashes and dishwashing with the watch on, all that sorta stuff - I work in hospitality so I'm inevitably going to get splashes of water/soap and coffee on the watch. My current watch is only 1ATM (rated for splash and dishwashing) and so I'm used to having a (non-waterproof) watch on my wrist. If it helps, I'm looking at the new Moto 360 in mind (boy that thing looks slick), most likely wearing it every day. Cheers!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The thing with these watches and water (most devices with touchscreens are this way) is that the conductivity will drive them mad and more often than not either start acting weird on the screen or not responding to touch because it 'feels' multiple touch points. But that aside, I've had my Moto360 in the jacuzzi for a few minutes (fully submerged, hot, and bubbly) because I forgot to take it off, I've been using it in the rain, while washing the dog... still works.

However, yet another word of caution: It's the strap you want to be weary of. Leather strap + Water = Stinky. Same thing if you sweat a lot; you might want to steer clear of leather straps if you do.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
The thing with these watches and water (most devices with touchscreens are this way) is that the conductivity will drive them mad and more often than not either start acting weird on the screen or not responding to touch because it 'feels' multiple touch points. But that aside, I've had my Moto360 in the jacuzzi for a few minutes (fully submerged, hot, and bubbly) because I forgot to take it off, I've been using it in the rain, while washing the dog... still works.

However, yet another word of caution: It's the strap you want to be weary of. Leather strap + Water = Stinky. Same thing if you sweat a lot; you might want to steer clear of leather straps if you do.

Yeah I've heard about what happens to leather straps when you get them wet xD so I was thinking about buying an all-steel Moto 360 and/or with a silcone band. So it's held up perfectly fine to splashes and stuff? What about dust?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've only had issues when going hiking where some dust gets into the edge of the glass, but a simple clean up gets rid of it. It's even quite resistant to scuffing as well. I have no scratches on the screen and only a couple unpainted spots on the very edge, and I've bumped into stuff and doors and walls quite a bit. I have the black version, so I'm guessing it's even better on the aluminum one.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Definitely don't go swimming with the a Moto 360... at least not vigorously. Lol, Ask me how I know.

Long story short I did manage to kill my first 360 while swimming although if I wasn't exceeding it's IP67 rating I was definitely pushing it right to the edge. However after about a week of drying out (and after I had already bought a replacement) it popped back to life one day and it worked just fine after that, aside from a slightly damaged backlight. But prior to that and ever since I have never had any qualms about wearing it in the rain, or while washing my car, or doing the dishes, on the boat, and occasionally even still hanging out in the pool with it on, that is when I knew wasn't going to be diving or swimming laps or anything.

So all that to say the waterproofing is very good for normal day to day use. But it is definitely not designed for prolonged use under water. Between my current and former Moto 360s I have been using them for well over a year. and overall they have held up really well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1