What's a good watch company for fitness & smartwatch capability?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey all,

I wasn't sure which forum to put this under since my question pertains to both fitness and smart watch capabilities.

I currently have a Samsung S7 and a Garmin Forerunner 920XT with their footpod and heart rate monitor. I really enjoy the web interface of Garmin Connect, as we as the ability to load custom workouts created from their data base directly into the watch.

I'm very new to this technology (smartwatches and fitness tracking, etc.) and I'm not too familiar with the different eco-systems each company uses... I went with Garmin because I know their company from basically growing up on their car portable GPS systems. I've always loved their company and their customer service. I'm not aware if other smartwatches can upload their fitness stats to Garmin Connect? So, I'm wondering should I just dump my Garmin watch and go with a different brand and or eco-system? I don't need all the bells and whistles the 920XT offers... I'm not that hardcore with fitness just yet.

I'm looking for a watch that primarily is for fitness such as running and daily walking and that has the ability to be loaded with custom workout plans, for the more intermediate fitness enthusiast. I initially chose the 920XT because it would essentially coach users during a workout on rests, and when to run, etc. I liked that structure a lot. I would highly prefer if the watch had the ability to control Spotify or Google Music at the VERY least (if I can select playlists too from the watch that is a HUGE plus). I'm always going to have my phone with me while working out. Additionally, I would want the workout data to be able to be uploaded to a popular fitness site. I don't know all the top ones, but I know MyFitnessPal is one of them.

I think I can narrow down what is important to me in 3 points:

1. Ability to upload custom community or personal workouts to watch and be coached by it.
2. Media Controllability, w/ ability to select playlists from either Spotify or Google Music.
3. Wide range of sites I can upload my workout data to automatically.

That basically sums up what I'm looking for in a watch. I should also say I have no experience with the Android S Health. I've never used it.

I do like the Samsung watches, but I have no idea if they would suit what I'm looking for.

What would some of you recommend as far as what smartwatch I should purchase and what site I should use for uploading the stats to? I'm trying to go with a solution that is the least bit complicated and works pretty seamlessly.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have both a MS Band 2 and now a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and I use a Galaxy S7. My Band 2 works BETTER with my GS7 than it did with my windows phone. Text messages vibe on my Band before my phone rings. Not to mention you get calendar, email and a host of other notifications.

I just got the F3HR yesterday and I'm still learning the ins/outs of it. So far it doesn't have the fitness capabilities compared to my Band 2.

The Band 2 has lots of workouts you can download from the dashboard, or you can create your own workouts with reps, sets, rests, etc. You start the workout and it will guide you through either the number of reps or the time specified. It truly is a "coach" on your wrist. It can control music, but not during a workout. I never really used it, as I used a windows phone synced to my Band, but used my iPod Touch for music and BT ear buds.

My wife said she's seen lots of Band 2's on ebay in the $50 price range. If you don't mind buying one with no future and some have suffered from the band material wearing out (mine never did), it is probably the best tracker available.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Having both a LG GWatchR (android wear), and the Gear S2 Classic (Tizen):
1: Both AW and Tizen have some degree of "coaching". Not sure if any specific app lets you "upload custom community/personal workouts" though.
2: Both AW and Tizen do this, no problem :)
3: This one may be much more difficult. It will probably depend on the app(s) you use. My AW communicates with Google's Health, and Tizen talks to S-Health.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Having both a LG GWatchR (android wear), and the Gear S2 Classic (Tizen):
1: Both AW and Tizen have some degree of "coaching". Not sure if any specific app lets you "upload custom community/personal workouts" though.
2: Both AW and Tizen do this, no problem :)
3: This one may be much more difficult. It will probably depend on the app(s) you use. My AW communicates with Google's Health, and Tizen talks to S-Health.

When you say "AW" do you mean AndroidWear?

3. I have no preference when it comes to what site I upload. I guess I should do some more research with which site is better. Do you know if I can upload my data to different sites? Like, is there a list of sites the Samsung data is compatible with?

I do like the Gear S2 you mentioned. It looks and seems like a nice watch. I like how Garmin Connect reminds me that I'm behind in my fitness for the week or tells me that my weight goal is behind. I suspect that those are basic features of these watches? I should mention that I do not use Good Now. I use S-Voice. Not sure if that matters.

I have both a MS Band 2 and now a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and I use a Galaxy S7. My Band 2 works BETTER with my GS7 than it did with my windows phone. Text messages vibe on my Band before my phone rings. Not to mention you get calendar, email and a host of other notifications.

I just got the F3HR yesterday and I'm still learning the ins/outs of it. So far it doesn't have the fitness capabilities compared to my Band 2.

The Band 2 has lots of workouts you can download from the dashboard, or you can create your own workouts with reps, sets, rests, etc. You start the workout and it will guide you through either the number of reps or the time specified. It truly is a "coach" on your wrist. It can control music, but not during a workout. I never really used it, as I used a windows phone synced to my Band, but used my iPod Touch for music and BT ear buds.

My wife said she's seen lots of Band 2's on ebay in the $50 price range. If you don't mind buying one with no future and some have suffered from the band material wearing out (mine never did), it is probably the best tracker available.

I'll look into the MS Band 2. No, I don't mind if I pickup a used one.

Last edited:

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I do like the Gear S2 you mentioned. It looks and seems like a nice watch.

If you like the looks of the S2, you really should look at the S3.

I'll look into the MS Band 2. No, I don't mind if I pickup a used one.
My wife had her Band 2 replaced due to the strap breaking, and she doesn't mistreat it. I had mine replaced due to the HR sensor going out, but no issues with the strap, and I put mine to good use (weights, cardio, sleeping, everything). Like I said, it pairs great with my GS7.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If you like the looks of the S2, you really should look at the S3.

My wife had her Band 2 replaced due to the strap breaking, and she doesn't mistreat it. I had mine replaced due to the HR sensor going out, but no issues with the strap, and I put mine to good use (weights, cardio, sleeping, everything). Like I said, it pairs great with my GS7.

Sheessh, the S3 is expensive! Haha.

Maybe if I sold the Garmin HRM chest strap I could get closer to an even swap. Is Samsung even compatible with Garmin footpods?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Sheessh, the S3 is expensive! Haha.

Maybe if I sold the Garmin HRM chest strap I could get closer to an even swap. Is Samsung even compatible with Garmin footpods?

I thought so too, until I looked at the Fenix 3 HR, lol. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to use the F3HR for weight lifting. Looks like I'm going to continue using my Band 2 for weights.

I'm not sure about the compatibility. I just got the F3HR Saturday. My first guess is it's not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech