AW 2.9, What kind of battery life are you getting ?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The past couple days I noticed the android wear app on my phone consuming a little more battery in the background than usual. It wasn't anything alarming though, and knowing how Android manages its apps I simply let it do its thing. That was 2-3 days ago.

Yesterday evening when I looked at my watch (moto 360 gen-2) I had managed to go from 6AM to about 8:30 PM, only consuming 8% of my battery.

Can anyone explain this? I am assuming its just the 2.9 release CPU re-calibrating things... correct? The watch behaves just as it did before, outside of the battery improvements.

40443248811_56685d61db_c.jpg

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: AW 2.9, Battery enhancements ?

... and here's a snapshot from this afternoon. It ran from 6:00 AM to 4:20 PM, only depleting 6% from a full 100%. Can someone explain this? I have owned this watch for over almost 2 years and it has always managed a very consistent 1.75~2 days per charge. Now all of a sudden its getting 8-9 days??? doesn't make sense.

[EDIT] My usage settings:
> Always-on screen = OFF
> Wrist notification set to double vibrate and wake up the screen
> Tilt to wake and all gestures = OFF
> Auto bright adjust = ON
> Screen on duration = 3 seconds
> Wifi = OFF
> OK Google detection = OFF
> Bluetooth connection to phone = ON (24/7)
> All AW permissions turned ON
> I ONLY receive notifications from android messages, voice calls, gmail, yahoo mail and google maps. I average about 10 notifications / day.
> Moto body fitness tracker is ON and running 24/7, tracking my steps, heartbeat rate, calories.
> I may check the weather 1-2 times / day.
> Watch maker premium is my preferred face-changing app. I may switch back to the OEM Motorola watch faces, every once in a blue moon.

Note also that the moto 360 watches do not support NFC, stand alone GPS, or sim-card activation. They are basically a buletooth notification screen... a remote extension of the cell phone.

39550883065_17974b5531_c.jpg

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yeah... I have been pretty vocal about my ups and downs with android wear. This is most definitely a major up-swing. If other AW devices are getting similar numbers IMHO this is a BIG game changer in the industry.

By far the biggest complaint I have heard (on watch enthusiast forums) about full-featured smart watches is the battery life, and having to re-charge too often.

Last edited:

ionuttudorphone

Feb 7, 2018
Visit site
Yeah... I have been pretty vocal about my ups and downs with android wear. This is most definitely a major up-swing. If other AW devices are getting similar numbers IMHO this is a BIG game changer in the industry.

By far the biggest complaint I have heard (on watch enthusiast forums) about full-featured smart watches is the battery life, and having to re-charge too often.
Hi, Kramer

I don't want to be impolite, but I have a Garmin 3 HR. I use the watch pretty much the same way you described it before on yours, however, since I bought my Garmin about 2 years ago the watch needs to be charged every 2 weeks (in this period of 2 weeks, I am running 3-4 days/week and the watch measures all the parameters of running on treadmill or outside).
:)
I bought the watch 2 years ago and I am absolutely happy with it, from basically all point of view. The price now is about 400 EUR, I suppose.

Take care.

Valentin

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Definitely noticed a battery drop since the 2.9 update on my ZenWatch 2. I still get it through the day having everything turned on (except WiFi) - always on screen, max brightness, gestures, triple long vibrations and sounds for notifications but now I only have around 15% battery left at bedtime instead of my usual 30-40%

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi, Kramer

I don't want to be impolite, but I have a Garmin 3 HR. I use the watch pretty much the same way you described it before on yours, however, since I bought my Garmin about 2 years ago the watch needs to be charged every 2 weeks (in this period of 2 weeks, I am running 3-4 days/week and the watch measures all the parameters of running on treadmill or outside).
:)
I bought the watch 2 years ago and I am absolutely happy with it, from basically all point of view. The price now is about 400 EUR, I suppose.

Take care.

Valentin

No problem Valentine... I have been thinking about getting a Garmin Epix. Garmin is a US military supplier, and my countries servicemen / women depend on them with their lives. So your results do not surprise me at all. thanks for the recommendation.

Link here

Freezing Navy EA-18G Crew In Ice Filled Cockpit Navigated Home Using Their Smart Watches - The Drive

ionuttudorphone

Feb 7, 2018
Visit site
No problem Valentine... I have been thinking about getting a Garmin Epix. Garmin is a US military supplier, and my countries servicemen / women depend on them with their lives. So your results do not surprise me at all. thanks for the recommendation.

Link here

Freezing Navy EA-18G Crew In Ice Filled Cockpit Navigated Home Using Their Smart Watches - The Drive
Nice. I'm also a military, by the way and do missions with your buddies pretty often... anyways, this is a different story.
Good luck with your watch and it was nice to chat with you.

Valentin