Convince me to buy Android Wear over Pebble

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been considering my smartwatch options, and I'm seriously leaning toward Pebble. But before I make a decision I want to hear the counter argument. So if you think Android Wear is better, present you case. I thank you!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's better.

There. Go buy one.

Just kidding. Hehe. I haven't used a Pebble, but the color screen alone was enough for me to warrant the purchase. Watchfaces are cooler for Android Wear, but other than notifications on your phone and a few useful interactions like music controls, quick searches, voice replies, and map navigation, the Pebble has a few more tricks up its sleeve since there are apps that can be developed FOR the Pebble. Plus, the Pebble has a much longer-lasting battery life becuase of the screen.

It all ends up being YOUR personal preference. I got the Moto360 and couldn't be happier, even if I have to charge it every night.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It's better.

There. Go buy one.

Just kidding. Hehe. I haven't used a Pebble, but the color screen alone was enough for me to warrant the purchase. Watchfaces are cooler for Android Wear, but other than notifications on your phone and a few useful interactions like music controls, quick searches, voice replies, and map navigation, the Pebble has a few more tricks up its sleeve since there are apps that can be developed FOR the Pebble. Plus, the Pebble has a much longer-lasting battery life becuase of the screen.

It all ends up being YOUR personal preference. I got the Moto360 and couldn't be happier, even if I have to charge it every night.
I had impression that the Pebble had a few more tricks up its sleeve. But I feel like I don't know enough about Android Wear, and I might be under estimating it. In my little bit of research it seems like Pebble apps are more capable then Android Wear apps. But Android Wear is in the early stages and will continue to grow. Pebble seems to have reached its plateau. I can't tell if I'm arguing for Pebble or against it.

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Since picking up an Android Wear watch I rarely use the Pebble. I use it for Runkeeper when cycling and that's it. Day to day I use Android Wear.

Pebble is better for custom watch faces. The killer for me though is on Pebble you recieve notifications but there's no efficient way to act on them. I'm mainly talking about replying. On Pebble you can only reply with canned responses or do battle with cumbersome keyboards. So more often than not you'll dig your phone out.

Once you get past the awkwardness, replying by speech on Android Wear is really useful and keeps the phone in your pocket.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
You just need to decide when and where you are going to be wearing the watch. What you want it to do and if you are happy to charge nightly on a wear device.

I have both and they serve different rolls. My pebble is my workday watch as it can take a beating and get stuck in the rain. I also rely on it quite regularly to be a silent alarm clock. The 5 day battery life allows me to travel and not worry about a charger for a few days.

On the other hand I love my moto 360. Being able to reply to Hangouts and emails is very convenient. I pull my phone out less as everything is achieved on my watch. Plus it looks much nicer and dresses up well. Especially compared to a bright red pebble with red stripe band.

I can also swim with my pebble so it's great for summer.

In the end I have and like both. You really just need to decide what suits you.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
On features, wear destroys pebble. I completely disagree that pebble is better for custom watchfaces. On pebble, you need to be a c/c++ programmer to make real watchfaces (I'm not counting the tons of awful faces made with watchface generator). On wear, if you can use photoshop or similar, you can put together beautiful watchfaces using apps like facer.

Pebble wins on battery life, waterproofedness and sunlight readability. If any of those are dealbreakers for you, get pebble. Otherwise, get wear.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
So this is one thing that pushing me to Pebble. I use a sleep tracking app "Sleep as Android," (I have a sleep disorder), and Pebble is the only smartwatch that fully supports sleep tracking and has battery to last the night. This might be my killer app.

It looks like the Samsung Gear Live supports but I don't know if it has the battery life to go all night.

Edit : oops forgot to include the link. https://sites.google.com/site/sleepasandroid/doc/integration

Last edited:

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah definitely go the pebble then for the battery life. Even with constant tracking (I have up on constantly) you can get 3-4 days