Why can't I get music to download onto my Sony Smartwatch 3?

SouthwarkBelle

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Can't get music to download onto sony smartwatch 3

I've got music on my phone, I've ticked Download to Android Wear, watch and phone both have plenty of battery - nothing happens. Tried turning off/ on connection, restarting everthing in various orders etc. Still nothing. Play music on the watch just says it has nothing and sends me back to the setting on the phone.

Am I missing something here?

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't get music to download onto sony smartwatch 3

I had a hard time with this too. The secret is that only stuff in the "downloaded" folder on the Google Play Music App will be synced to the watch. Go into the "Manage Downloads" menu on you phone's Google Play Music App. If you don't see anything downloaded there, it will not go on the watch.

I had copied music into my phone's "music" folder (Nexus 5) and it would not sync. I pulled the songs into a playlist on the Play Music app, and then, selecting the three vertical dot menu on the playlist itself, selected "Download" which put the playlist on the phone. Then, after a bit of time (about an hour) the playlist synced to my phone automatically.

I have the "All Access' subscription, so all my songs were in the play store and I could download them without problems. If you don't have "All Access" you may want to upload the music to your Play Music account (you can load up to 20k songs). You can start here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...google.com/about/music/unlock/&token=9whH9gq8

The Smartphone 3 is a pretty nifty device. I have used the Google Tracks app, timer and Play Music all at the same time to time, track and listen to music on a run while leaving my phone at home. I am hoping Nike+ will make an app that will run in this mode (i.e. you won't have to bring your phone with you on a run) so I can get all three features in one app.

Please post your experiences if you can't get the music to work. The above should make it happen.

SouthwarkBelle

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Brilliant that's fixed it! Thank you so much, it's been driving me nuts for a week. I've not used google play before so wasn't familiar with it (here's hoping for some way to use Spotify on the SW3!)

So far I'm really liking the SW3, chose it on the basis that I could go running and leave my phone at home so now I have the music sorted I can do that. Apparently there is an imminent Runkeeper update that will work when you don't have the phone so looking forward to that as Google tracks seems a bit limited.

Thanks again!

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site

Apparently there is an imminent Runkeeper update that will work when you don't have the phone so looking forward to that as Google tracks seems a bit limited.

I will give runkeeper a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Posted via the Android Central App

Michael Schaeffer

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

I don't have a "download to Android Wear" box to tick on my Google Play Music app. Working with a Samsung Galaxy S5. The Smartwatch 3 doesn't seem to have any idea what play is. If I tell it to "play offline music" which was just a guess on my part, it just opens Play Music on my phone. Nothing is happening from the watch.

The lack of any formal instructions on how to perform simple tasks with the watch is frustrating. The user is left to guess what is possible and what isn't.

EDIT: Figured out I was on version 4.4W.1. The watch wouldn't update on it's own, so I had to use the "PC Companion" program from sonymobile.com. It finally got me updated to 4.4W2

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance