which Android Wear watch makes phone calls?

SaltyBrine

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at a smart watch that makes and receives phone calls? I know Samsung has one powered by Tizen but is there any other that is powered by Android wear ?

Posted via the Android Central App

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at a smart watch that makes and receives phone calls? I know Samsung has one powered by Tizen but is there any other that is powered by Android wear ?

Posted via the Android Central App
If you want to make, talk on, and complete the call entirely on the watch without ever taking out your phone... Then no Android Wear watches perform this feat yet.

At the moment, there are no speakers on any Android Wear watch, preventing you from really hearing what's going on. While it is true that you can connect a Bluetooth headset directly to the watch. This is meant for media playback (like music) and, as far as I know, does not function for anything phone call related.

That said, if you still want to achieve this, you are left with the Samsung Gear watches (except the Gear live... as its Android Wear), a HOT Watch, LG Urbane LTE, some Martian Voice Command watches or various other watches with this capability.

Personally, I've tried the phone call on your wrist thing with lackluster results... I just don't think it's there yet IMO.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My lg headset pairs great with the lg urbane and i can make and receive phone calls on my watch

Posted via Android Central App

Assuming you mean LG Watch Urbane and not LG Watch Urbane LTE, then you are not really making calls on your watch but rather using the watch as an interface to your phone (which is actually making the call).

There are a few watches which actually have their own SIM card and thus their own telephone number. These watches are capable of making and receiving calls completely independent of a paired smartphone. The LG Watch LTE is one; the Samsung Gear S is another.

To the best of my knowledge, the LG Watch Urbane LTE is still not available for sale in the US (only South Korea if I recall correctly).

Hem666

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Since posting, have you had any joy with any new and upcoming Android Wear watches that allow phone calls from it?

My wife has the iWatch which has this feature, I cannot however bring myself to owning a iPhone.

cajun456

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the Samsung Gear 2 Neo with the ability to make and receive phone calls. I've had the phone for about 5 months and have used the watch for phone calls twice when I first got it, but none since. The first call worked great, my hands were full and I swiped the watch with my nose and answered the call. The second was a gimmick to show off to my kids. The call quality was ok, but not enough to use it more.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Just to reiterate :).

To answer your question no Android Wear watches at the moment let you have a phone conversation directly on your wrist.

As the previous poster mentions, I have used the phone call on your wrist function of several smartwatches (Martian, Samsung, HOT, cheapy Chinese smartwatches, etc.) and the experience is just not there yet IMO. I will admit that the Samsung Gear 2 watches do seem to handle this activity better than the others I've tried, it's still not to a point where I would actually recommend it to others.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered the DZ09 smartwatch for $25 on Amazon. I can't comment on how well it works yet, but it takes a sim and is suppose to be able to make and receive calls on its own. I intend to use it as a second phone, independent of my primary phone.

lab082199

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Just curious how you like the watch. I have been researching this watch for some time but I am reluctant to order due to lack of reviews posted. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The LG watch urbane 2nd edition LTE. I have one and I love it, and the cellular function even works overseas, which is something the Samsung watches don't.

You can find them on Ebay only at this point. Since this watch uses the very latest version of AW, I assume more watches will now support cell functionality... Before, they simply couldn't.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
The LG watch urbane 2nd edition LTE. I have one and I love it, and the cellular function even works overseas, which is something the Samsung watches don't.

You can find them on Ebay only at this point. Since this watch uses the very latest version of AW, I assume more watches will now support cell functionality... Before, they simply couldn't.
Sadly, this watch has been recalled by LG and while I understand why some people would still want one or keep the one they already have, I would caution a potential buyer to PLEASE do your homework (so to speak). Lookup why LG discontinued it and recalled it and make the best decision for you... I kinda doubt this is going to be a viable long-term option for most users.

Just my .02....

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Lookup why LG discontinued it and recalled it and make the best decision for you...
I agree with you that anyone looking into it should read up on it, and to provide a bit more info:

They did not recall it, they just stopped the global roll-out. The problem with your suggestion is LG's vagueness: They never stated why, other than that it was not a safety issue (therefore no recall), and that a component they've never used in a smartwatch before was tested, under extreme conditions, and it was found that it may malfunction. This in turn would lead to a corporate image loss (=it would make them look bad), so they decided to stop rollout.

What they should have told owners is precisely what component may malfunction.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree that technically it wasn't a "recall" in name, but when you offer to take back your product on a mass scale and exchange or refund everyone that ever bought the thing... It's pretty much what it is 😁 Hehe.

Most reports I heard were involving the display and "manufacturing partners" prevented them from being more specific. Of course, this isn't official and could just be a bit on the rumor-y side.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Most reports I heard were involving the display and "manufacturing partners" prevented them from being more specific. Of course, this isn't official and could just be a bit on the rumor-y side.
Those reports mis-quoted or misinterpreted the official LG statement: LG said it would be bad for THEIR image, and some articles took it to mean THE image quality, thus the display. This rumor spread like wildfire from there. :)

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Those reports mis-quoted or misinterpreted the official LG statement: LG said it would be bad for THEIR image, and some articles took it to mean THE image quality, thus the display. This rumor spread like wildfire from there. :)
Good to know... The one thing that I take away from it is that whatever the issue was it was serious enough to scrap an entire product launch right before a holiday shopping season... This was no small decision on LG's part. That alone should tell you something just isn't right there.

I agree that the vagueness doesn't help, I want to know what actually happened as well. I also understand wanting to keep a device you like or wanting a now "rare" device in your collection. I just wanted anyone reading this thread to know what they were getting themselves into before spending their money.

I appreciate your input & good to have a discussion on this as I'm obviously very interested in wearables / smartwatches / and oddities like this that happen in the tech industry.

DWhatley

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Sony's SWR30 can connect to an android phone via bluetooth and be used as a hands free device. The contact calling app works but is not really prime time (favorites list or full contacts with scrolling only). Voice dial requires a data plan or wi-fi connection. There is no back light (my biggest complaint) so it is useless in the dark but I still like the watch.

d_la_roc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people in this thread keep saying "it's not there yet".. Making a phone call on your wrist is as good as it's going to get (for the most part). I think it works great. I've had the Apple Watch, Gear S, and now I have the T-Mobile Gear S2. (The Apple Watch had the worst quality out of the three with the speaker being very low). It's the speakers that need to get better. It's very convienent to be able to not have to pull out your phone, or have to go looking for your phone, when you can just answer or make calls and text on your wrist. It truly is the future! In my opinion, it's not a smart watch if you can't answer calls on it.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Have the gear s2 3G Verizon and call sound quality is excellent. Even has hd voice enabled when calls from others who have it came in. No complaints here

Posted with my NOTE 5 on damn verizon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol