Nixon Mission

hansstrik

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Just bought this watch this weekend, do you like the watch?

I bought this watch in Europe (Holland) Androidwear works fine on it but I'm only doubting if it is really worth the price I paid for it, it is quite dear.

AeonZeroX

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought out one from Best Buy about two weeks ago. Its definitely one nice piece of kit. Though I wish they gave you the option to switch out the bezels because apparently they are removable. The watch itself is big but light its deceiving honestly. The AMOLED screen is pretty clutch all around, though I do agree with a few reviewers that the main issue is the auto brightness could be a smidge better.

I also want would love to know how they did a full round screen with auto brightness hooked in. I guess my little mini review, the pogo charger could be a smidge better or at least a proper plate, but still works fine. Bands are awesome and the option to get different types from them are nice too. Battery is id say what the Moto 360 gen2. was before updates. Standalone not bad but definitely needs a few optimizations for the oddities in ambient switch over and a few other bits. Otherwise I wish the android sites would act like this watch exists and actually review it. The price is a bit high but its waaay better built then a moto or any other watch I've used. Its just a tank. YMMV though varying on what you want out of it but its a nice piece of kit.

hansstrik

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine in Holland and they are selling only two colours, the orange is not for sale here.
I've aked the American site if I can by a bezel and band but they are not willing to do that because of not being water proof after the bezel has been removed. So if you want a different colour you can only do they when you buy it.

Indeed it is a great watch, very rugged, it is big but very nice to ware it as it is not heavy. A lot of apps are working with the watch, so of them I did not expected, I can change the light settings of my Bluetooth lights in the house but that is more related to the androidwear.

I hope, one day, there is someone mad enough to unscrew the bezel to find out that there will be indeed a problem with the watch not being waterproof anymore.

I'm very happy with the watch but less with the site and not being able to buy bands and other accessories. In Europe we can not buy from the american site and on the European site bands can not be bought.

I hope when androidwear 2.0 is coming out the watch will still run smooth and that we are going to get other updates as well from Nixon but for now it is thumbs up for the Nixon The Mission

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Here's my brief review of the Nixon mission on iOS. The watch is an amazing looking watch and by far the best looking one in the stable of androidwear watches. I have an Apple Watch and it's been very reliable and a solid performer, but of course it is because it's Apple talking to Apple. Nixon advertises that the Nixon mission works with iOS, and it does sort of. I was up and running in a matter of minutes and the pairing was easy. Unfortunately that's kind of where it ends, getting notifications on my watch was very spotty at best and sometimes I would get a text message and the watch wouldn't indicate a message came through at all. Other times I would feel a very faint vibration in my wrist indicating I received a message, and that was a big problem for me. For such a large watch the vibration is a total joke, and coming from an Apple Watch which is much more daintier and less heavy duty, the vibration on the Apple device is at least 5 to 6 times stronger than what is on the Nixon. I did notice that it seems to be an iMessage problem, sometimes I would get iMessages and be notified from the watch with the faint vibration. Other times I wouldn't, in fact most times I wouldn't. However my non-iPhone users seem to come through 9 out of 10 so I'm contributing this to an iOS versus android problem. I'm hoping that a future update will address this issue. Everyone seems to be excited about the upcoming androidwear 2.0, and it seems to be introducing some really cool stuff however there's not a lot of information about what it's going to do to fix the gap between androidwear and iOS. I was beyond excited when I saw this watch at Best Buy, as I've wanted it since the day they announced it but I was a little wary about buying it without being able to easily return it. So when I saw it on the Best Buy display I immediately bought it and took it home. I really gave it a shot and in fact I thought about holding onto it and just using it as a "dumb watch" until the next update comes however in the long run that seem to be a waste of money so I returned it after about a day of use. I'm certain most people here android users and won't experience these problems that I ran into.

A couple of things worth mentioning... there's a few watch faces that I really liked on the watch but was notified when selecting them that it was not compatible with iOS and that it was an android only face for the time being, bummer. Notifications from other applications on my phone such as news outlets, pulse point application, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram notified me on the watch without much problem. Again when it comes the notification even though those applications are still showing up on the watch the poor vibration makes it more less a moot point because I'm not feeling the notification. I certainly will give us one another look when androidwear 2.0 comes out.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine in Holland and they are selling only two colours, the orange is not for sale here.
I've aked the American site if I can by a bezel and band but they are not willing to do that because of not being water proof after the bezel has been removed. So if you want a different colour you can only do they when you buy it.

Indeed it is a great watch, very rugged, it is big but very nice to ware it as it is not heavy. A lot of apps are working with the watch, so of them I did not expected, I can change the light settings of my Bluetooth lights in the house but that is more related to the androidwear.

I hope, one day, there is someone mad enough to unscrew the bezel to find out that there will be indeed a problem with the watch not being waterproof anymore.

I'm very happy with the watch but less with the site and not being able to buy bands and other accessories. In Europe we can not buy from the american site and on the European site bands can not be bought.

I hope when androidwear 2.0 is coming out the watch will still run smooth and that we are going to get other updates as well from Nixon but for now it is thumbs up for the Nixon The Mission

The GPS antenna is assisted by the bezel and it cannot be removed. If one orders a customized color option via Nixon, be sure you are set on your colored bezel. The only thing swappable on the watch are the bands.

bckrupps

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully they update it like the moto 360 v2 to have full ambient mode also. I put in a request to have a forum started. maybe more could request it so they add one.

danfrancisco

Trusted Member
Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Glad to see other Mission owners out there who love their watch! I've had my gray Mission since October and love just as much today as the day I bought it. I'm a big collector of G-Shock watches so the Mission fit in perfectly with my time piece collection.

I've recently been itching to get a black rugged smartwach and have pirchased several new devices to scratch the itch. I got the Samsung Gear S3 but eventually returned it because I was missing all my Android for Work notifications on the Tizen OS.

I then tried the Garmin Fenix 3 HR and while I LOVED its battery life, the lack of touchscreen as well as no AfW notifications with Garmin's OS had me sending the watch back.

Next was the Casio WSD-F10. Being a big G-Shock fan, i was hoping that i would instantly fall in love with this watch. Plus it was running Android Wear so I would be able to get my AfW notifications. Unfortunately the look didn't quite work for me. It was big and bulky (which I like) but was too rounded and curved. I lke angles on my rugged watches and this had none. So back it went.

Three watches from BestBuy in a week, three returns. Now I'm considering a second Mission! I've got a nicely customized one in my cart at nixon.com but am hesitating to pull the trigger because I can't seem to justify paying that much money for the same watch only with a different coat of paint!

scabsk8s

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I am a proud new owner of the mission, I was able to get mine off ebay for $250 in pristine condition although the previous owner purchased it from Nixon as a custom being all black with a silver bezel, it's a very nice watch & I get compliments all day.. I emailed Nixon in hopes to purchase extra bezels but unfortunately they will not sell them separately, they said the removal of the bezel may cause it to not be water proof.
My only complaint is the band, it needs to be a bit longer as I am on the last hole which makes it difficult to secure the the end in the strap loop.. Other then that this watch is a huge step up from the ol lg g watch r

danfrancisco

Trusted Member
Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased my second Mission last night! Went for a custom combo, black case, gun metal bezel and surplus (army green) band. Cant wait for it to arrive in the mail!

I'm finding that at its core, I just want a watch that matches my aesthetic needs and provides me with all the notifications that I would get on my BlackBerry DTEK60 (yes, I'm an unabashed BlackBerry fan visiting from Crackberry!), especially BBM and Android for Work. The Mission totally fits the bill. I dont even care if it doesnt get Android Wear 2.0 (although I hope it does)!

Hilton_K

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased my second Mission last night! Went for a custom combo, black case, gun metal bezel and surplus (army green) band. Cant wait for it to arrive in the mail!

I'm finding that at its core, I just want a watch that matches my aesthetic needs and provides me with all the notifications that I would get on my BlackBerry DTEK60 (yes, I'm an unabashed BlackBerry fan visiting from Crackberry!), especially BBM and Android for Work. The Mission totally fits the bill. I dont even care if it doesnt get Android Wear 2.0 (although I hope it does)!

I'm a PRIV user very close to purchasing this watch. It is listed to receive Android Wear 2.0 which is great as I would use this as a standalone tracking device for running, swimming and bike riding.

Is the band swappable at all with other 23mm bands? Would be looking for a leather band to go with the rubber one for more formal events.
I have not owned a watch for 20 years so a little bit of a book with bands and how swappable they are on the devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol