Negative Archos 80 G9 Review

JohnLeeReviews

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
After a month long review, day to day use with the Archos 80 G9 8Gb tablet running into issue after issue with this clearly defective device I finally had enough when it ended up going from a review to a rant.

Trying to find a silver lining in this device proved challenging as it just seemed to bring frustration

It is possible that some if not most of the issues I came across were in fact results of a defective device

Please consider this before judging against the purchase of this Archos 80 G9 8Gb tablet

Archos 80 G9 Review - YouTube

Last edited:

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been using one for a week now. The only thing I have a complaint with is the camera not working.

Otherwise its a pretty good cheap tablet. 10" inchers are too big for my tastes, and the available 7 inchers are either missing a feature I want, or too expensive.

Pros:
-8 inch is perfect size
-hdmi out (watched the whole first season of Game of Thrones over xmas weekend on my TV no problems)
-GPS
-uSD card
-Full size USB and uUSB
-Stock Honeycomb

Cons:
-Camera seems to be nonfunctional for most (all?) users.
-Cheap build quality, flimsy shell. Although I did accidentally drop it at the airport and it was fine.
-Screen ripple if you push hard on the back side. Although I only really notice it if i am intentionally looking for it.

whit49

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Purchased Archos 80 g9 several weeks ago. Had to return first device to TigerDirect due to bad audio jack and camera would continue to freeze up. Second unit was excellent (so far). Loaded my Slingbox Player for Android Tablets and it works excellent. Currently very satisfied with my purchase of this $250 tablet with all these features. Added a 32 Gb micro SD and watched a ton of videos on vacation.

Pros - screen quality (even with a little ghost and poor side angle), Honeycome 3.2+ OS, 8" size, ports, battery life (acceptable), full screen apps, speed, file management, Sling Player, and ease of downloading apps (quick on/off).

Cons - screen fingerprints, camera quality, camera location, plastic shell, viewing angle (150 degrees?), limited apps, and sound quality (acceptable).

Worth the try.

rshankel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the 80 g9 for about 6 months. I've had no problems. Since I added BSPlayer app, it will play any video I have. I don't use the camera. Sound is descent for a tablet. Screen does fingerprint but cleans easily. Hard to view in outdoor light as screen is reflective. I added a usb keyboard. I'm still learning how to use all the features.

mandopicker101

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I've had one of these since they came out last year, ostensibly to facilitate the swap of my MacBook to my wife. Although a little unsure of whether it really could be a laptop replacement, I'm pleased to say it has been great. I use mine for virtually everything I had the Mac for, including work while commuting, streaming HD video, web surfing, some basic image manipulation etc, plus I can read documents for work much more easily.

The camera ain't brilliant...but it works for Skype. Having seen people taking pics with their iPads on holiday, it just said a) Hey, I've got an iPad and b) Mug me! Personally I'd use a compact camera or my smartphone...

Sure, build quality and aesthetics aren't up there at the highest end...but for the money this is a good piece of kit. I wouldn't leave home without mine.

Gareth

Sent from my Sony Xperia Mini Pro using Android Central Forums

bikdav

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
The wifi on my g9 is not working properly. It keeps frequently dropping out completely. I thought that my house wifi was at fault, but nothing else was acting up. When I asked Archos about this, they told me to go through some address reset on my router. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever unless most other devices are also acting up.

mandopicker101

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the wifi drivers in 4.0.7 firmware are not great. My wife's 101XS tablet has 4.0.24 and its rock solid. When they perfect this firmware for G9, hopefully there should be an improvement. My A80 was good before 4.0.7 so I'm sure it isn't a hardware issue.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Mini Pro using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith