Archos 101

p4trickh#IM

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Still not available from the Archos store, has anyone gotten their 101 or even a tracking number? I've decided against the Galaxy Tab and for the Archos 101 so long as they can actually ship it and the reviews are acceptable.

P4trick

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How did you get that?
I watched the Facebook posts and just kept checking the buttons in the store. They never did send the 'notify me' message. UPS says delivery this AM. 2 are business gifts in case anyone cared.

It seems others in addition to me are having credit card lockup when ordering. Not everyone but if your purchase doesn't go through watch for a security call from your card company. Good luck!

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Froyo update ET AL...

I pasted in below the dotted lines my exchange with customer service. I also suggest to moderator a permanent forum for this or maybe the 70 and 101 combined.

As for those who are looking for the devices...the website periodically has a few of them to sell. They never did notify me. I just kept checking the website and Facebook page and ordered mine when they had a few.

==================================================
Very nice! Thanks very much. D.

-----Original Message-----
From: Archos Support [mailto:archos_support@mail.tims-support.com]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 11:46 AM
To: thehdhuntr@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Ticket#201125012] Support request: ARCHOS 101 internet tablet

thehdhuntr@yahoo.com,

The update to Android 2.2 Froyo should be available by tomorrow night.

Thank you,
Eva L
Archos Technical Support

11/29/2010 11:00 - noreply@archos.com wrote:

nlowhor

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I received my 101 today and thought I'd give a heads up. The screen is a dealbreaker for me. It's almost usable in landscape although you can tell that the vertical viewing angle is VERY narrow. It might be as little as 30-40 degrees. This problem really shows itself when you switch to portrait. Because of the tiny viewing angle, it appears that each eye is really seeing a different image in a way. To my eyes, this gives things an unstable, almost "3D" look. Reminds me of those old lenticular baseball cards where the image changes if you move it a little. It started to give me a headache in just a short while.

Perhaps this wouldn't bother someone else as I'm picky about my screens, but this was seriously one of the worst, if not the worst, screens I've ever seen. :(

It's going back sadly. :(

mothy

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I received my 101 today and thought I'd give a heads up. The screen is a dealbreaker for me. It's almost usable in landscape although you can tell that the vertical viewing angle is VERY narrow. It might be as little as 30-40 degrees. This problem really shows itself when you switch to portrait. Because of the tiny viewing angle, it appears that each eye is really seeing a different image in a way. To my eyes, this gives things an unstable, almost "3D" look. Reminds me of those old lenticular baseball cards where the image changes if you move it a little. It started to give me a headache in just a short while.

Perhaps this wouldn't bother someone else as I'm picky about my screens, but this was seriously one of the worst, if not the worst, screens I've ever seen. :(

It's going back sadly. :(

If you think its bad check out the gtab from viewsonic, makes the archos look like the ipad in my opinion.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I love mine!

I have the 8gb with Froyo and 'real' Market now. Viewing angle ok for me. I just hold it right. Got Nook and Kindle apps free already and Audible...So my Sony eReader is now a paperweight. Used AppBrain to find and sync all the apps...
It's almost like having regular EVO and GIANT EVO except for the phone call thing I don't much care about.

The first time I opened Classic Bubbles was a bit of a funny shock...

Links are not handy but I downloaded the AOS file to a PC instead of waiting for OTA update and by yesterday AM someone already had posted a working APK for Market. I never saw a single thing I cared about in the Archos AppsLib

Reactions: woodpa67

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the viewing angle comment. My husband just bought the Ipad and i have to admit that I am jealous. I have the 101 16gb with froyo and the market hack with the youtube fix and while I really like the Archos I am kind of really loving the Ipad. I like to read eBooks a lot and the Archos screen is kind of awkwardly long or tall for reading and if I move it a certain way I can't even see the words. Kind of winding what I should do. I love android but have heartburn about the Archos hardware. Imo the Ipad is far superior in the hardware arena. Holding them side by side makes that apparent. I did save $300 by going with the Archos but you can really tell...

thurm2000

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I got the Archos 7.0 250GB model yesterday. Ordered it on saturday from the Archos site. It didn't have Froyo installed but directed me to update it as soon as I turned it on and hooked up to Wi-fi. Just installed Android Market from,(RapidShare AG, Cham, Switzerland), for free. Hooked up the HDMI to my 50in Samsung 3D plasma, picture is good but when this is done the tablet becomes a mouse pad and goes blank. Plays almost all formats but did have to download a plugin for ac3 audio and a few other video files, cost 14.99 directly from archos. It found my network drive right away and was able to view all my movies and music. The music and video player have a button for storage when you open them. Th picture app wasn't as easy, it doesn't recognize my server, still working on that. The Appslib market had a few apps I liked but nowhere near where Android Market is at. Plus the google apps seem to make the unit much better. I bought the recommended case from Archos.com, it fits snug but completely encloses the unit. Hopefully they will come up with some sort of flip case. Installing the market was easy, 1st time I've ever tried to hack. My only complaint is with the ac adapter plug. It is on a slight curve on the unit and doesn't quite attach all the way when you plug it in and it doesn't charge with the usb plug. Maybe they can fix that with a firmware update. All in all, I love this unit, I paid $350, the 8GB model is only $275, but I figured I'd never run out of room. I am sure after CES in January this will look like a kids toy with all the dual processor units coming out, but I will have alot of fun with this I'm sure. Lots of free add-ons on Archos site for developers as well. I don't have a clue how to develop but downloaded all the free apps they had, maybe someday I'll learn.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital